DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #3,617 of 4,464
Glad to have some feedback. This is starting to feel like a ghost town. :)

You know I'm on a mission here to find out which amp sounds best with HD800. I've live with Glenn OTL amp for close to 7 months now and my ears tells me that the HD800 has never sounded better. However that's what everyone here says about Stratus with HD800. So I'm piqued, intrigued to find out for myself. My guess is that they are very different flavours.

This is my setup now minus the Ragnarok which I've since sold.

Nice Yggy there! I've got the little brother here and is still a solid performer. I can't imagine what Stratus and Yggy paired would sound like though haha.

Jul 7, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #3,618 of 4,464
The Stratus & HD800's have fulfilled my desire for the end game amp/hp.

The sound really takes off with a pricier set of tubes. Perhaps that might also be a consideration?

Oh no doubt about it I'll be getting better tubes later but I want to start Stratus off with stock tubes first. As with all my tube amps, I've experience that change of tubes can make quite a lot of difference.

I was able to sample Woo Audio WA5 LE with Takatsuki 300b tubes, Brimar 6sn7gt / cv1988 and Emission labs 5u4g for 2 weeks at home with my Glenn OTL amp. Gorgeous midrange tone from those 300b but the Glenn OTL has better dynamics and precision. The WA5 belongs to a friend who so graciously lend it to me for audition.

20180217_130658.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 2:50 AM Post #3,619 of 4,464
Nice Yggy there! I've got the little brother here and is still a solid performer. I can't imagine what Stratus and Yggy paired would sound like though haha.

I love the Yggy but I bought it just before the Analogue 2 was introduced. So at some point I'll get that upgraded, as well as the USB Gen. 5.

Recently bought a Auralic Aries Le with Gieseler LPSU and a used NAD M51 dac. The M51 surprised me. I like the superb details and clarity.

Jul 7, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #3,620 of 4,464
I have a question for the expert's. It has happened ever since my eml 5u4g was new.

Switching the Stratus on, I sometimes see something swirl and dissipate within the tube. It's pretty much instantaneous, and I don't see it every time. Nor is it luminous that I can tell.
Is this something to do with the emission's?

Can someone please tell me what is happening here?

Oh, and otherwise the tube operates normally.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #3,621 of 4,464
Is it blue/purple? My RCA 5U4G does the same thing, only lasts about a second on startup. Should be normal as some tubes do have this and it shouldn't have impact on longevity or performance.

Jul 7, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #3,624 of 4,464
Is it blue/purple? My RCA 5U4G does the same thing, only lasts about a second on startup. Should be normal as some tubes do have this and it shouldn't have impact on longevity or performance.

it's sort of foggy like I guess. It happens so fast. Other time's it's so transparent that I can only see the motion it make's. If that makes any sense.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 2:08 AM Post #3,627 of 4,464

The filaments on the 5U4G light up the second you push the on button. Many other rectifier types have filaments that light up after the other voltages. There is some debate if this shortens the life of the 5U4G compared to other rectifiers. Many DIYers add a slow start circuit to the 5U4G.

Aug 5, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #3,628 of 4,464
Stratus owners - I know the synergy with HD800 is considered a highlight of this amp but does anyone use it with HD600/650? I have a ZDS and I'm considering hunting for one of these to try out the DNA sound.

Aug 5, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #3,629 of 4,464
Stratus owners - I know the synergy with HD800 is considered a highlight of this amp but does anyone use it with HD600/650? I have a ZDS and I'm considering hunting for one of these to try out the DNA sound.

The 600 sounds really good on the Stratus. Personally I preferred the 650 on the ZDS though. The Stratus compliments the more forward presentation of the 600 while the ZDS livens up the slightly laid back sound of the 650.

Aug 6, 2018 at 3:49 AM Post #3,630 of 4,464
K4star, I used the HD650 on my modified Stratus and I now use them on my Stellaris with very good results. I can highly recommend them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back