DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Feb 2, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #2,551 of 4,470
  The Psvane WE275s (replacement for 2A3s) are really growing on me. As they burn in, they are maintaining smoothness and fullness but open up with a little more on the top.

My current favorite tube set-up (subject to change at any moment) is U52 rectifier, WE275 power tubes and Novosibirsk box plate 6N1P. That particular 6N1P can be overly detailed with the EML Meshplate 2A3s but with the WE275's it works well. Keep in mind my only headphones are LCD3s - this combo might be too detailed for HD800 from what I read about them.

I really like the Pearl Reflector 6N1P with my Psvane WE275's and HD800's. Second choice is the stock tube. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the stock tube is a Voshod.

The new U52 brings a very focused, organic sound that easily pulled me into the music last night. I can see how someone could think it the best rectifier for the Stratus. The EML 5U4G/WE275's/Pearl Reflector combo sounds a bit more ethereal and I find the combo very musical. Let me add that vocals sound to have more weight with the EML. I don't find it better but it does sound different if only slightly so.

All of my music with either one is now very engaging. I feel my system has finally arrived and it's good to be contented  I just hope the 275's hang in there.

Feb 2, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #2,552 of 4,470

I really like the Pearl Reflector 6N1P with my Psvane WE275's and HD800's. Second choice is the stock tube. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the stock tube is a Voshod.

The new U52 brings a very focused, organic sound that easily pulled me into the music last night. I can see how someone could think it the best rectifier for the Stratus. The EML 5U4G/WE275's/Pearl Reflector combo sounds a bit more ethereal and I find the combo very musical. Let me add that vocals sound to have more weight with the EML. I don't find it better but it does sound different if only slightly so.

All of my music with either one is now very engaging. I feel my system has finally arrived and it's good to be contented  I just hope the 275's hang in there.

I have complained a lot about the bad luck I have had with Psvane 2A3s (Mk II and WR2A3). It never took long for the sputtering and weird noises to start. I have had virtually no such problems with the 275s and, if they were going to act like their 2A3 siblings, I suspect it would have happened by now. 

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #2,554 of 4,470
Is there any difference sound wise between the we275 and the wr2a3?

Yes. The WE275 is fuller and richer sounding. The WR2A3 is more dynamic. With LCD3 headphones, I prefer the sound of the WR2A3 but can't recommend them. I like both tubes, a lot, but I can't recommend the WR2A3s based on the fact that I have been through 13 tubes and have only found one that doesn't make sputtering, buzzing weird noises. Others have confirmed similar experiences.

Feb 6, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #2,555 of 4,470
Is there any tube combination that will bring the mids forward? I like the HE1000 but it sounds too distant somehow. I already started to horde tubes but I am determined to find the sound signature I'm looking for. Already have three types of U52 and a Fivre 5U4G grey plate on the way.

I am using EML solid 2a3 and Ken Rad CKR-244 currently. It's my most preferred combi among the other tubes I have like EML meshed 2A3, natural sound 2A3, Psvane WE275, EML 5U4G, Psvane WE274b for HE-1000. Very nice, clear mid and highly realistic.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #2,556 of 4,470
Is there any tube combination that will bring the mids forward? I like the HE1000 but it sounds too distant somehow. I already started to horde tubes but I am determined to find the sound signature I'm looking for. Already have three types of U52 and a Fivre 5U4G grey plate on the way.

I am using EML solid 2a3 and Ken Rad CKR-244 currently. It's my most preferred combi among the other tubes I have like EML meshed 2A3, natural sound 2A3, Psvane WE275, EML 5U4G, Psvane WE274b for HE-1000. Very nice, clear mid and highly realistic.

I think the solids get overlooked by some, with the EML mesh being slightly more expensive, the assumption may be that they are the better tube. They are not, just different, with the solids excelling in delivering a very natural and full mid body warmth. The meshies are thinner sounding with slightly more refinement in treble and stage depth. My preference are the solids.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #2,557 of 4,470
Is there any tube combination that will bring the mids forward? I like the HE1000 but it sounds too distant somehow.

I'm selling several 2A3 tubes on ebay that have a very midcentric sound. The Sophia Princesses, GE dual flat plates, and the Golden Dragons. With the HE1000 I'd probably recommend the GE flat plates because its smoother top end is an ideal pairing with those hot-sounding Hifiman cans.

Feb 8, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #2,558 of 4,470

I had the Ken Rad CKR-5U4G briefly up for sale on ebay. But I wisely decided to pull it. Upon a recent listen, they sound positively musical with the EML MeshPlate 2A3 through my old Denon AH-D7000 and the LCD3F. The EML Meshplate 5U4G can sometimes sound too real and linear with these headphones. Almost boring. I like the tube-like sound the Ken Rads brings. It's more engaging with certain headphones.

Feb 8, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #2,559 of 4,470
Can anyone tell me what parts are used for the 4pin XLR headphone out and the dual 3pin headphone output? can these parts be ordered online somewhere?

Feb 8, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #2,560 of 4,470
Can anyone tell me what parts are used for the 4pin XLR headphone out and the dual 3pin headphone output? can these parts be ordered online somewhere?

They're Switchcraft D3F and D4F. You can order them through Mouser.com

Feb 9, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #2,563 of 4,470
Can the Stratus be used as a pre-amp to drive power amps ? I have a pair of Audio GD Master 2 mono blocks & just to add some tube goodness to speaker sound,  I was thinking of using the Stratus to drive them through the 3 pin XLR outs (as the Master 2 has  3 pin XLR in). Any harm in doing this ?

The output is really optimized for driving headphones and I think there will be too much gain, but you are welcome to try it.

[COLOR=222222][COLOR=1155CC]http://www.audio-gd.com/Master/Master-2/Master-2EN_Specs.htm[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Hi Donald, what's the lead time for a Stratus now ?

Right now it is around 7-8 months.

Feb 9, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #2,565 of 4,470
Guys, I am still working on doing my due diligence before making the plunge for the Stratus. I heard it for the first time over the weekend (thanks to @ogodei ). He had the Shuguangs installed, tuned towards the HD-800s, which I got to listen to. I was impressed with what I heard with my HE1Ks, keeping the tube complement in mind. Also, the tubes installed were a never-used pair as one of the tubes of his broken-in pair had began malfunctioning that very day. Long story short, in spite of these obstacles, I was still enamored by what I heard, save for the bass tightness/impact. Compared to my Bottlehead S.E.X, the bass tightness was lacking. I could attribute it to the aforementioned issues, or it could just be that the S.E.X, which outputs 2W per channel, just have that final bit of cajones to manhandle the HE1K drivers into submission. 

I have read impressions on tube rolling on this thread, and came to the understanding that the EML solid plates may be the way to go for that extra bass tautness (not necessarily extension), and are also less lush compared to the Shuguangs. Can someone give me some feedback on how to came to settle on the tube complement they use with their HE1Ks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back