DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 5, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #2,431 of 4,470
Number 48 has arrived and it's totally awesome!!! That was my first impression. Now that I have had time to spend a session my impression has not changed. It sound's really beautiful with the stock tubes. I have little to no doubt this will probably be my amp for a life time. Hey, I'm getting old. Plus I know Donald is going to be there if I need him. He's a wonderful guy. In finishing I would just like to say it was totally worth the price and totally worth the wait.

And a special 'thank you' to those who helped support me during the wait. You know who you are.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #2,432 of 4,470
Congrats!!
I'm pretty sure you are REQUIRED to post pictures 
beerchug.gif

So thrilled for ya, buddy!  I know it was a long wait, but #48 has finally landed.

Sep 5, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #2,434 of 4,470
Number 48 has arrived and it's totally awesome!!! That was my first impression. Now that I have had time to spend a session my impression has not changed. It sound's really beautiful with the stock tubes. I have little to no doubt this will probably be my amp for a life time. Hey, I'm getting old. Plus I know Donald is going to be there if I need him. He's a wonderful guy. In finishing I would just like to say it was totally worth the price and totally worth the wait.

And a special 'thank you' to those who helped support me during the wait. You know who you are.

Congrats John! I think you will continue to be amazed by the Stratus when you start rolling better tubes. The fun is just starting! :)

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #2,435 of 4,470
@RubyTiger
: Congrats. I'm REALLY envious .. I'll probably be as excited as you when Donald will mail me that mine is ready to ship . :xf_eek:

@Froger : Just noticed you own the Yggy. What was the previous dac you associated with the Stratus ? Would you mind to share some impressions about the Yggy/Stratus pairing with the HD800 ? :popcorn:

Sep 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #2,436 of 4,470
I used DP-777 before the Yggdrasil. I think Yggdrasil and Stratus matches very well. The transparency of Stratus allows you to hear what Yggdrasil is capable of. To me, the stronger bass and details of Yggdrasil matches the Stratus better compared to the DP-777 even though the soundstage of DP-777 offered more depth. Together with HD800, you will hear so much details and yet remained highly musical and engaging and never fatiguing.

Sep 6, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #2,438 of 4,470

Congrats, good times ahead!

gs1000.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 5:06 AM Post #2,439 of 4,470
Took the plunge to go full Psvane replica with the addition of WE274b tube. Not exactly recommended by Donald for the use of 274b tube on the Stratus as he felt the 274b tube is too delicate with the higher than rated current from Stratus. Still decided to go ahead as I enjoyed the WE275 tubes so far and there seems to be many good reviews on the WE274b tubes. Will report back on the tube after the reported 250 hrs burn in time and hope the tube can last much longer than that too.

Sep 20, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #2,440 of 4,470
  I was wondering if the attenuator could be done away with so a preamp could be used. Being a purist I could not accept the attenuator as being something in the signal path. A good preamp can actually improve the sound quality if done right. So, food for thought. I suppose it would be too expensive as an upgrade to the present Stratus?

Bad idea, if you are talking about the Stratus. Why do you want add more active stages up front? To improve the sound quality?  You'll certainly change the sound quality, but improve it?  No, too much stuff in the signal path and totally unnecessary.  It might work in a 2-stage amp and the 1-stage amp Donald is making needs a preamp.

You want a better attenuator?  Space is always a problem with Shallco attenuators (my favorite).  Ask Donald if an AudioNote (UK) attenuator will fit.

Sep 20, 2015 at 5:03 AM Post #2,441 of 4,470
Bypassing the internal volume control and using an external active preamp is not a good idea, in my opinion and experience. You will be adding more gain to the signal path, when there is already plenty with most sources and reducing the usable range of the volume control before it is too loud with dynamic headphones. You will also be adding noise. Of course you are welcome to try by turning up the Stratus volume control to maximum, thereby effectively taking it out of the signal path, and use the preamp.

Sep 20, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2,442 of 4,470
  Bad idea, if you are talking about the Stratus. Why do you want add more active stages up front? To improve the sound quality?  You'll certainly change the sound quality, but improve it?  No, too much stuff in the signal path and totally unnecessary.  It might work in a 2-stage amp and the 1-stage amp Donald is making needs a preamp.

You want a better attenuator?  Space is always a problem with Shallco attenuators (my favorite).  Ask Donald if an AudioNote (UK) attenuator will fit.

Bypassing the internal volume control and using an external active preamp is not a good idea, in my opinion and experience. You will be adding more gain to the signal path, when there is already plenty with most sources and reducing the usable range of the volume control before it is too loud with dynamic headphones. You will also be adding noise. Of course you are welcome to try by turning up the Stratus volume control to maximum, thereby effectively taking it out of the signal path, and use the preamp.

Sorry fellow's. Thanks for setting me straight on the idea. I wouldn't dare mess with the Stratus as it is. But does this mean preamp's are a thing of the past?

For the most part I guess it does since nearly every amp has an attenuator now. Still, I can remember when a solid state amp's sound could actually benefit from having a tube preamp in line. 

Geez, come to think about it, preamps used to cost as much or more than one's amp. 
confused_face_2.gif
  Thank goodness times have changed.

Sep 20, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,443 of 4,470
Think of the Stratus as an integrated amplifier for headphones. The preamp duty is handled within the amplifier by the 6N1P. Now if you were to listen to vinyl through the Stratus, then you would need an external phono stage preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back