DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 21, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #2,236 of 4,456
  just a guess who knows. if yggy can do what 5k-10k dacs can do it can be good option. i dont have so much money to spend. it looks like its the best option in 1-3k price ranges. but who knows...

Agreed.  It's a tough one, and it will take a while for them to really hit the market which means listening before you buy will be tricky for a long time.

Mar 21, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,237 of 4,456
I recently had a pair of Oppo PM-1 from the current loaner program on head fi. It sounds fantastic on the Stratus. Very midcentric sound akin to the HE500 maybe with smoother treble, a touch softer bass and narrower soundstage, going by memory. I really don't feel the need to switch out the 2A3 tube with the PM-1, since it sounds great with any tube. But it does seem to shine greatest with the EML Mesh Plate and AVVT. I have to admit I enjoy the PM-1 as much as the LCD3F which can be picky with certain recordings. The PM-1 handled almost every genre of music I threw at it. Impressive for something that looks and feels like a lifestyle headphone.

Mar 21, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #2,238 of 4,456

Ah, I see.  It will be an interesting DAC to hear for sure.  What I am not entirely sure of, however, will it be the right DAC for you/me/whoever.  What I mean the few that heard it all love it and sing it's praise but many of them were involved in the tuning of they DAC...  In a sense, it was sort of made for the few that have V.0.99 of it - of course they love it.  My listening preferences may be different than theirs so I may not love it.  

In the "big stereo" world there isn't a definitive "best" amp or DAC, there are just a bunch of really good ones that appeal to different people.  In the headphone world, what is better the HD800's, LCD3 or 009's?  All good options appealing to different musical preferences.  I just find it hard to believe that the Yggy will be "the best DAC, period".

I'm sure it will be a top shelf unit, don't get me wrong, it is just that without hearing it, how would would one know if they like it?

Very wise and realistic Statement.

What's is really interesting in the Yggy is the price point. Schitt promises a Statement dac at a somewhat affordable price for me. That's tempting and it will help me to solve my DAC quest. I just purchased one of the DAC I dreamt of (totalDAC) and I will try to have an Yggy at home during enough time to compare the two dacs extensively and keep the One I prefer as my End game . I highly doubt differences will be huge because I never noticed any HUGE difference between any dac thus fas. Significant yes. Huge.. definitely no. 

BTW , the Stratus is still on my Radar for my End game amp.
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 22, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #2,239 of 4,456
anyone here heard the teton amp? If so is it close to the stratus for hd800?

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,240 of 4,456
I don't know if this questions ever been asked, so I hope there's some die hard Stratus user's here for this one.

Is the Stratus ok being a full time amp? I usually listen a few hour's every night.

I just leave my SS on all the time but that's not my intention here. I'm wondering if it's ok to let the SS go; making the Stratus my 'full time amp'. Is it ok to use it every night? Any longevity issues? Tubes?

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,241 of 4,456
  I don't know if this questions ever been asked, so I hope there's some die hard Stratus user's here for this one.

Is the Stratus ok being a full time amp? I usually listen a few hour's every night.

I just leave my SS on all the time but that's not my intention here. I'm wondering if it's ok to let the SS go; making the Stratus my 'full time amp'. Is it ok to use it every night? Any longevity issues? Tubes?

Should be just fine.  You will have to eventually change the tubs as with any tube amp.  The Stratus runs the 2A3's well under their normal operating voltage to extend their life (IIRC).

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:56 PM Post #2,242 of 4,456

The tubes in a tube amp might require a little more care in physical handling. But that's all. I listen to my Stratus for as long and as often as I like with no concern whatsoever. Tubes wear out but it takes several thousands of hours unless it was a bad tube (or an incompatible tube) in the first place. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #2,243 of 4,456

The tubes in a tube amp might require a little more care in physical handling. But that's all. I listen to my Stratus for as long and as often as I like with no concern whatsoever. Tubes wear out but it takes several thousands of hours unless it was a bad tube (or an incompatible tube) in the first place. 

e
Isn't there some "2A3" that is actually incompatitble, or was that just with bottlehead amps? I think it was EML...

Apr 1, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #2,245 of 4,456
Regarding tube compatibility - Am I the only one to have problems with Psvane 2A3 tubes in their Stratus. I have purchase the Treasure MkII tubes and the newer WR2A3 tubes and had problems with all of them. Like I have returned 13 out of 14 tubes having found only one that doesn't end up making sputtering, spitting and other weird noises after a little burn-in. The factory says when I return them they check out and nothing is wrong - they claim it is my equipment. I am baffled since no other tube causes me any problems at all and I have the following 2A3s - RCA, Sylvania, Shuguang (stock and Nature Sound), EML Meshplates.

So...is there anyone using a Stratus that is also using Psvane 2A3 power tubes without any problems?

Apr 3, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,246 of 4,456
JJ 2A3-40 is getting a lot of attention on Audio Asylum in the tube and SET forums.  I have never used them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back