DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Nov 22, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #2,117 of 4,456

To my ear the EML mesh is a beautiful sounding tube a little thin compared to Shuguang Nature Sound tubes. The Shuguang's are fuller sounding and have more depth with the LCD3s. A Voshkod 6N1P driver adds some top end detail and sparkle. I absolutely loved the EML mesh until I tried the Nature Sound (they need at least 100hrs burn in to open up). I have had nothing but bad luck with Psvane WR2A3s (1 out 12 did NOT get noisy) BUT, those are the best sounding 2A3s I've ever heard in the Stratus with LCD3s. 

Nov 24, 2014 at 7:09 AM Post #2,121 of 4,456
Posted previously sometime back, the 274B while it may work and even get music playing. According to Donald the 274B is not a good match from an electrical spec perspective.

what about gz37?  gz34?

Also sometime back in this thread, Donald does not recommend using indirect heated rectifiers as they're built differently compared to Woo's where they both work.

Nov 24, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #2,124 of 4,456
Thanks for the feedback. I think the same holds true for the GZ37 and GZ34 - not compatible with Stratus. I've had one one instance where I plugged a power tube in wrong and immediately noticed smoke coming from the amp. I NEVER want anything like that to happen again.

Same thing happen to me earlier this year. Try smoke and then a loud pop. Thankfully it was not the Stratus.

I have the EML 274b and it sounds wonderful on the Stratus, though I'm a bit leary now because of all this incompatibility talk. I guess I'll only use it in short spurts. :frowning2:

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2,125 of 4,456
That must have sped up your pulse a bit! No ill effects ?

I noticed it right away and was able to shut down quickly. I took it Donald who said it seemed to be OK but we decided to change out the large capacitors just in case - since that is where the smoke was coming from. And, had to replace the tube sockets that had been stretched. Fortunately the DNA 'factory' isn't too far from me.

Nov 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #2,126 of 4,456
  I noticed it right away and was able to shut down quickly. I took it Donald who said it seemed to be OK but we decided to change out the large capacitors just in case - since that is where the smoke was coming from. And, had to replace the tube sockets that had been stretched. Fortunately the DNA 'factory' isn't too far from me.

I see you have LCD 3 with your Stratus. Do you also use EML's with the LCD3? 

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:15 PM Post #2,127 of 4,456
I have EML mesh plates but right now I am listening to Shuguang Nature Sounds and I prefer them. The EMLs are very nice - very rich and smooth sounding lending a lot of body to vocals and instruments. But, they also seem to lack dynamics compared to the Shuguangs which are more open and fuller sounding at the same time. To my ears, the EMLs, as nice as they are, sound a little thinner, one dimensional and flat. But, just my preference.

The BEST 2A3s I have heard with Stratus and LCD3s are the Psvane WR2A3s but it has been very difficult for me to find a pair that don't develop noise - buzzing, spitting, etc. I'm still trying.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #2,128 of 4,456
  I have EML mesh plates but right now I am listening to Shuguang Nature Sounds and I prefer them. The EMLs are very nice - very rich and smooth sounding lending a lot of body to vocals and instruments. But, they also seem to lack dynamics compared to the Shuguangs which are more open and fuller sounding at the same time. To my ears, the EMLs, as nice as they are, sound a little thinner, one dimensional and flat. But, just my preference.

The BEST 2A3s I have heard with Stratus and LCD3s are the Psvane WR2A3s but it has been very difficult for me to find a pair that don't develop noise - buzzing, spitting, etc. I'm still trying.

I actually remember you talking about the buzz before. I will add the shuguangs to my list as well. 

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #2,129 of 4,456
Hi guys. 

I have decided not to get the Stratus in the end. I went with another amp instead.
I just feel that I should announce this here because everyone on this thread was
so helpful to me with info about the Stratus + tube types and DACs. I will consider 
The Stratus some time next year. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Paddy

Nov 29, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #2,130 of 4,456
  Hi guys. 

I have decided not to get the Stratus in the end. I went with another amp instead.
I just feel that I should announce this here because everyone on this thread was
so helpful to me with info about the Stratus + tube types and DACs. I will consider 
The Stratus some time next year. 

Thanks for all the help. 

Paddy

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?  I thought you had it ordered and everything?  What happened?  What did you go for instead?  

frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back