DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 14, 2013 at 7:13 PM Post #1,171 of 4,464
For those of us who are constantly bathed in RFI by living near broadcast radio and TV antennae, being able to use a balanced 10 ft headphone cable makes an audible difference in clarity. I'm very glad that the Sonett and the Stratus both have a balanced transformer output.

Thanks for the detailed and thoughtful explanation, Donald. Having your input is what makes this thread valuable.

I'm not quite sure, actually, whether you've explained the SE input / balanced output 2 or 3 times now here. I might be confusing the Sonett thread with this one. Oh well. For those of us who can't read a schematic, it certainly helps to hear your lucid explanation again from a different angle. Thanks again!

Sep 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #1,172 of 4,464
  I'm sure that unconfused him, Donald. :p

-Daniel

It explains the center tap on the output secondary winding on the OPTs in the Stratus.  Thanks Donald.  

Sep 15, 2013 at 1:20 PM Post #1,173 of 4,464
I've spotted a couple of very short references to the KR Audio 2A3's in this thread, but if someone that has heard them could expand on how they sounded, I would appreciate it.  Although I don't have my Stratus yet (I think I'm next in line :)!), I have a chance to pick up a pair of very lightly used KR 2A3's at an attractive price and so I welcome any input.

I've only found a couple of reviews of the KR 2A3 (of course used in other amps); one review used the term "creamy" over and over again.....I'm not sure what to make of that.

Thanks!

Randy

I had interest in the KR2A3. But this review calling it "bright"', not so 3D, and "recessed" in the midrange kind of put me off. But on the Stratus, it could be different story. Who knows?

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:35 PM Post #1,175 of 4,464
Was able to A-B a few driver tubes listening to some modern R&B and some EDM with the D7000 and Ken Rad 2A3/EML 5U4. My favourite driver tube for this very bass-y set up ended up being the Voskod-made 61NP-EV circa 1970-ish. On bass forward music, almost immediately I noticed better controlled bass on the Voskod's. Punchy, deep and fast. Soundstage has nice depth and centre focus. The cryo'd effect seemed to tighten the bass and midrange slightly. For this type of music, maybe that isnt such a great thing. The RCA 6BQ7A noticeably has wider soundstage and less centre focus. Seems confused with this type of music; no focus. Bass has nice impact but is slower and less controlled. The cryo'd version tightens up the bass a hint but still noticeably slow. The Westinghouse 6BQ7A has the widest soundstage of the bunch and the most forward mids but also has the slowest low end. It's tube-y sound probably best suited for classical and jazz. That A-B is for another time.

Sep 17, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #1,176 of 4,464
I think I've pretty much settled on going with the Sophia Princess 2A3's in lieu of the stock tubes (but of course my Stratus is still a few weeks out, so who knows how many times I will change my my mind before then
bigsmile_face.gif
).  I have some nice 5U4 and related NOS rectifiers on hand, but at some point will also pick of the big EML 5U4 (I previously ran one of those in my Modwright Transporter and also in a 300B amp that I owned, so I know well the great qualities the EML can bring to the party).

I will be looking to also pick up a pair of NOS 2A3's to have on hand and compare and I've been considering the Ken Rads.  If anyone is interested in trading a nice pair of NOS 2A3's for great condition, lightly used Senn HD650's and $, shoot me a pm!

I can't wait for my Stratus to be completed and arrive!!

Best,

Randy

Sep 17, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #1,178 of 4,464
More driver tube A/B. I had one of my favourite pop/rock set ups going: LCD2 and NOS Svetlana 2C4C with EML rectifier. The cryo'd RCA 6BQ7A positively shone with some Ellie Goulding. Her vocals sounded clear and natural and the RCA's soundstage does nice things with intricately laid production. Bass is hardly a problem as the LCD's just tightens whatever the RCA's throw at it. Switched in the cryo'd Voskod 6N1P-EV and immediately noticed a forward midrange and congested soundstage. Too much of a good thing with the already mid-sounding LCD. Rock music fares better with the cryo'd 6N1P-EV. Better focus, better attack. Indie band favourite The Liars' rhythmic, angular and hard-hitting drums sound extremely clean and fast. Depth of soundstage is also magical. The RCA's no where near as engaging with rock music.

Sep 19, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #1,181 of 4,464
^^^
ok. I ordered one, top quality. At half off, that's only 1/10th the price of a pair of EML 2A3s. I'll let you know in a few. Of course, my ears are different, and I play almost entirely classical.

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:27 AM Post #1,182 of 4,464
  Yep.

Frihed-you're truly selling yourself short by not owning and HD800-especially with that particular amp. I'd even call the HD800 a 'bargain' for you, since you already own top-tier ancillary equipment that happens to mate so well with the finicky Senn. My .02.

BTW, loving all you comments about the Stratus. If I didn't have a Leviathan on order, this would be my first pick (along with Craig's 2A3).

-Daniel

Daniel, can you tell me which headphone plug and setting you are using?  I would like to hear from others as well, esp. those who are listening with a single-ended 1/4".  Thanks.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #1,183 of 4,464
Hey folks,
I’ve been a keen follower of this thread for some time now. The Stratus sounds most promising, but I do have a question regarding its tonal balance. Earlier in the thread, drheadphone, with regard to the amp configured with stock tubes, said the following “Tonally, I'm hearing a slight U-shaped sound signature. The LCD2 and W3000ANV lose some of their mid-emphasis on the Stratus.” Would you say that this slight U-shaped tonal signature is characteristic of the Stratus in general, i.e., with most tubes, or does it mainly apply to the stock tubes? I’m asking because I listen to a lot of opera and would ideally like my mids to be neutral, but if I had to pick a direction away from neutral, it would definitely be forward and not recessed. I’d be primarily using my HD 800s with the Stratus.

Thanks so much.
Joel

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:35 AM Post #1,184 of 4,464
Hey folks,
I’ve been a keen follower of this thread for some time now. The Stratus sounds most promising, but I do have a question regarding its tonal balance. Earlier in the thread, drheadphone, with regard to the amp configured with stock tubes, said the following “Tonally, I'm hearing a slight U-shaped sound signature. The LCD2 and W3000ANV lose some of their mid-emphasis on the Stratus.” Would you say that this slight U-shaped tonal signature is characteristic of the Stratus in general, i.e., with most tubes, or does it mainly apply to the stock tubes? I’m asking because I listen to a lot of opera and would ideally like my mids to be neutral, but if I had to pick a direction away from neutral, it would definitely be forward and not recessed. I’d be primarily using my HD 800s with the Stratus.

Thanks so much.
Joel

That's with stock Shuguang 2A3B tubes. Tone on the Stratus is highly tube dependent, IMO.

For opera, I'd recommend a pair of Sophia Princesses or NOS Sylvania/GE bi-plates which would give you neutral-to-forward mids

Sep 24, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #1,185 of 4,464
  Hey folks,

Thanks so much.
Joel

Of the three headphones you mentioned, I only own the LCD2s.  They are far too dark for my taste.  The Stratus is quite neutral on my K-701s. They are especially well-matched with Baritone voices.  I have not experienced any U shaped frequency response on any combination of tubes.  The coupling caps will take a while to break in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back