DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #1,186 of 4,464
Thanks a lot for your responses drheadphone and Frihed89. I figured that the Stratus’ tonal balance was very tube dependent but was looking for greater certainty as I remember reading at least one other similar comment about the Stratus with stock tubes. My next question was going to be what tubes you would recommend, but you already took care of that! 
smile.gif
If I decide to go with the Stratus, I’ll probably start off with the Princess 2A3s (I was already leaning in that direction based on everything that I've read) and see where I go from there.

Sep 27, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #1,188 of 4,464
Has anyone tried AKG professional headphones?  You're in for quite a surprise for the even the K171s.  I have owned the K171s for ages. They were the first set of cans I ever bought.  Now i use them just for Skype on my MAC and PC.    

It must be the amp and my bad high frequency hearing, but for around $200, these cans sound a lot better than the LCD-2s I have. Admittedly, I was listening to s single, laconic male baritone voice-which is an easy test- and I don't own any flagship headphones. 

Sep 27, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #1,189 of 4,464
  Has anyone tried AKG professional headphones?  You're in for quite a surprise for the even the K171s.  I have owned the K171s for ages. They were the first set of cans I ever bought.  Now i use them just for Skype on my MAC and PC.    

It must be the amp and my bad high frequency hearing, but for around $200, these cans sound a lot better than the LCD-2s I have. Admittedly, I was listening to s single, laconic male baritone voice-which is an easy test- and I don't own any flagship headphones. 

My initial reaction about the K171s was overly exuberant and incorrect.  They can't touch the LDC2's or, for that matter, the K-701s.

I need to get some really good headphones.

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:25 PM Post #1,192 of 4,464
What's in second place?
Looking through the thread, it seems T1, LCD-3 and Hd800 are the 3 dynamics kings that match best with the Stratus. Just go with the signature you prefer, I think you are probably near the peak of sound produced by dynamic headphones with the Stratus. For me, I am hoping to achieve that through Hd800.

Sep 28, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #1,193 of 4,464
  HD800...HD800...HD800...HD800...

-Daniel

+1. I agree with Daniel. HD 800 has been neck 'n' neck with my he6, but recently I have been reaching for hd800 far more often. reading your preferences Frihed89, that is the headphone I believe you should try. (BTW, I also found the LCDs underwhelming). 

Sep 29, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #1,194 of 4,464
a driver tube recommendation for the Stratus
http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_new_cryo_ss.html

I've had the Pearl gold grade cryo'd 6N1P-EV in my Stratus for a few days now, and I haven't had a single urge to remove it. Compared to the cryo'd RCA 6BQ7a that I had been using, the sound quality is definitely "mo' better", and by a mile. Richer, fuller, quieter, cleaner, completely detailed and dynamic -- just plain gorgeous. The main characteristic that appeals is the rich timbral presentation with chamber, a capella choral, acoustic guitar and jazz trio.

I did change 2A3s with it. The Sophia Princess tubes became too in-my-head. In contrast, the Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T's project the sound image in front of my head (wow!), while maintaining the natural and extended tonality that the Sophia tubes excel at. Very cool. Not as solid as the EML solid  plates, but just as dynamic. To my ears.

One additional note - I borrowed a bunch of Stillpoint feet, and I tried the mini's and the mid-sized under my Stratus. They produce a slightly cleaner signal, but also an audible suckout in the lower mids. The Marigo feet produce a greater coherence with no change in tonality, and if properly installed and adjusted, they earn a top recommendation. As I wrote here before, the rubber/cork feet on Fat Padz under the Stratus come close for way fewer $.

Sep 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #1,195 of 4,464
a driver tube recommendation for the Stratus
http://www.partsconnexion.com/tube_new_cryo_ss.html

I've had the Pearl gold grade cryo'd 6N1P-EV in my Stratus for a few days now, and I haven't had a single urge to remove it. Compared to the cryo'd RCA 6BQ7a that I had been using, the sound quality is definitely "mo' better", and by a mile. Richer, fuller, quieter, cleaner, completely detailed and dynamic -- just plain gorgeous. The main characteristic that appeals is the rich timbral presentation with chamber, a capella choral, acoustic guitar and jazz trio.

I did change 2A3s with it. The Sophia Princess tubes became too in-my-head. In contrast, the Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T's project the sound image in front of my head (wow!), while maintaining the natural and extended tonality that the Sophia tubes excel at. Very cool. Not as solid as the EML solid  plates, but just as dynamic. To my ears.

One additional note - I borrowed a bunch of Stillpoint feet, and I tried the mini's and the mid-sized under my Stratus. They produce a slightly cleaner signal, but also an audible suckout in the lower mids. The Marigo feet produce a greater coherence with no change in tonality, and if properly installed and adjusted, they earn a top recommendation. As I wrote here before, the rubber/cork feet on Fat Padz under the Stratus come close for way fewer $.

So are the Natural Sound 2A3C-T's back to being your favorites with the HD800's? I found the Sophia's a bit thin or basslight compared to the stock 2A3's. What would you recommend I try next?

Sep 30, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #1,196 of 4,464
Thanks for the recommendation and review, budx3385!
smily_headphones1.gif
 Just ordered the Pearl gold grade cryo'd 6N1P-EV, seems like a good deal with the current promotion at 50% off. Will be pairing with the Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T too when I get my amplifier hopefully in 2 months' time. 

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:04 PM Post #1,197 of 4,464
  Thanks for the recommendation and review, budx3385!
smily_headphones1.gif
 Just ordered the Pearl gold grade cryo'd 6N1P-EV, seems like a good deal with the current promotion at 50% off. Will be pairing with the Shuguang Natural Sound 2A3C-T too when I get my amplifier hopefully in 2 months' time. 

You guys buying the low noise or ultra low noise?  I think I might pick up a set too in preparation. 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2013 at 7:53 PM Post #1,198 of 4,464

You guys buying the low noise or ultra low noise?  I think I might pick up a set too in preparation. 
biggrin.gif

Neither, I bought the gold grade one as recommended. I think it is the one above the ultra low noise listed :)

Oct 1, 2013 at 8:13 PM Post #1,199 of 4,464
cradon, the 2A3C-T's are rather similar to the Sophia Princess in tonality. The EMLs, solid and mesh, have more firm bass.

You might check with drheadphone for a NOS recommendation that might be less expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back