DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Oct 14, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #4,053 of 4,457
Might as well share my thoughts on 2A3 valves:
Sylvania S plate fishing-pole, great tube overall and an upgrade over stock. Lacks microdynamics and air, slightly warm and muffled.
Ken-Rad smoked glass, fantastic extension, super bass punch with control, very neutral, no grain or harshness but lacks ultimate air and soundstage is intimate.
Psvane WR275, fantastic tone, good extension, lacks dynamics, found it a bit flat but great for the price(250$ for pair).
Sylvania dual flat plates, bass is a bit lean but fantastic mid range and treble, relaxed and detailed, mini mono plate sound.
KR 2A3, one of the good originals, rivals RCA mono plates in technicality, highly musical, fantastic low end and treble.
EML Solid plate, dynamics were flat compared to the best, very neutral tone but not exiting
Fivre S Plate, fantastic tone and extension one of the best, no the largest soundstage, too bad it's rare and expensive
RCA mono plates, best dynamics and extension so far, neutral, fast, microdynamics are easy to pick up, musical.
Fivre mono plate, same as RCA mono plates but with additional warmth without sounding veiled.
AVVT 2A3, neutral as can be, best dynamics and extension, no warmth.
So, doesn’t seems like 2A3 typically has good dynamic delivery ?

Wasn’t KenRad black bottle made by RCA as well ?

Oct 19, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #4,056 of 4,457
Having recently acquired the NOS RCA 2A3. I gotta say that the Western Electric 300B is miles ahead. It is like the tubes were made out of unicorn fart and mermaid tears.

Honestly, the WE300B is just amazing.
Are you referring to the new production 300Bs?

Oct 19, 2021 at 2:37 PM Post #4,058 of 4,457
Sorry for reviving an old question.
But did anyone try Susvara with Stratus?
I run a Susvara on the Stellaris and it gets to around 85db at around 4/5 on the volume knob. It sounds good, hits pretty hard, and I am satisfied. I tried the Susvara on the Bakoon 13r and think they are relatively comparable and I feel satisfied with how it is driven and sounds.

Oct 19, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #4,061 of 4,457
Yes, the current productions
I wonder if the new Western Electric brand will release a WE274B. When I had a Dragon Inspire IHA-1, I was using the PSVANE WE274B that was commissioned by Grant Fidelity. It was lightyears better than any of the other rectifiers I tried.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:26 PM Post #4,062 of 4,457
Just my impression on the DNA Stratus and my setup:
Foobar ---> Schiit Yggdrasil A2 Unison usb --> DNA Stratus/Bottlehead Crack Speedball --> Sennheiser HD650/800

When I first received the Stratus I thought it would be steroid amp with that much power it should boost everything. Upon further listening in a few words describing this amp are huge soundstage, instrument separation, effortless smooth, details/layering and refining.

First thing strikes me is the huge soundstage the HD650 on the Stratus sounds larger than the HD800 on the Crack Speedball amp. Which also making the presentation less intimate or warm and due to the expand soundstage acoustic music sounds amazing especially string instruments, I don't really listen to classical or orchestral music but for those who do this amp will do wonders. Not sure if I am using the correct term, but the transient response is fast when the sound of the instrument begin to end then shift to next instrument I don't heard any delay in that term.
Stratus extract microdetails from my album that I haven't heard before like hitting the cymbal and the loudness gets progressively louder as oppose the to same loudness on the Crack speedball.

Stratus is very smooth especially with the HD800 is to the point sounds smoother than the HD650 making it better for long hours listening, not to mention HD800 have no clamp force as oppose to my HD650 which I own for 10 years still clamp my ears hard. Vocal on the neutral side, the Crack speedball definitely warmer perhaps due to the smaller soundstage making it having a more forward presentation. As for bass I am not the right person for this, because I am not a basshead I can hear the bass is extend well and the impact is good to relative. However, one thing I could say about the bass is fast. Instrument separation is fabulous due to the large soundstage everything is spread out don't sound congested or mixed up.

Closing thoughts, I think HD650 is a double-edge sword with the Stratus at least in my opinion, Stratus make it sounds like a HD800 better instrument separation, layering, and etc.. However, the HD650 lost to me what is the most important feature is the lustful vocal like I said earlier the soundstage push the presentation back if someone want a HD650 with HD800 technicalities I think that is what the DNA Stratus + HD650 sounds like. HD800 is a perfect pair for the DNA Stratus I think I read somewhere that Donald did tune this amp with the HD800.

Another thought, I don't think the Schiit Yggdrasil actually pair that well with the Stratus because this review I never mention Clarity, seems to me there is a layer of haze over the music I read in another thread when someone compares the Yggdrasil LIM to the A2 Unison have similar experience. So, I already setup an audition to the Rockna Wavedream Edition SE next week see if my impression will change.

Oct 21, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #4,064 of 4,457
I was using the IEC setting @120ohms according to the website.

Oct 22, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #4,065 of 4,457
Just my impression on the DNA Stratus and my setup:
Foobar ---> Schiit Yggdrasil A2 Unison usb --> DNA Stratus/Bottlehead Crack Speedball --> Sennheiser HD650/800

When I first received the Stratus I thought it would be steroid amp with that much power it should boost everything. Upon further listening in a few words describing this amp are huge soundstage, instrument separation, effortless smooth, details/layering and refining.

First thing strikes me is the huge soundstage the HD650 on the Stratus sounds larger than the HD800 on the Crack Speedball amp. Which also making the presentation less intimate or warm and due to the expand soundstage acoustic music sounds amazing especially string instruments, I don't really listen to classical or orchestral music but for those who do this amp will do wonders. Not sure if I am using the correct term, but the transient response is fast when the sound of the instrument begin to end then shift to next instrument I don't heard any delay in that term.
Stratus extract microdetails from my album that I haven't heard before like hitting the cymbal and the loudness gets progressively louder as oppose the to same loudness on the Crack speedball.

Stratus is very smooth especially with the HD800 is to the point sounds smoother than the HD650 making it better for long hours listening, not to mention HD800 have no clamp force as oppose to my HD650 which I own for 10 years still clamp my ears hard. Vocal on the neutral side, the Crack speedball definitely warmer perhaps due to the smaller soundstage making it having a more forward presentation. As for bass I am not the right person for this, because I am not a basshead I can hear the bass is extend well and the impact is good to relative. However, one thing I could say about the bass is fast. Instrument separation is fabulous due to the large soundstage everything is spread out don't sound congested or mixed up.

Closing thoughts, I think HD650 is a double-edge sword with the Stratus at least in my opinion, Stratus make it sounds like a HD800 better instrument separation, layering, and etc.. However, the HD650 lost to me what is the most important feature is the lustful vocal like I said earlier the soundstage push the presentation back if someone want a HD650 with HD800 technicalities I think that is what the DNA Stratus + HD650 sounds like. HD800 is a perfect pair for the DNA Stratus I think I read somewhere that Donald did tune this amp with the HD800.

Another thought, I don't think the Schiit Yggdrasil actually pair that well with the Stratus because this review I never mention Clarity, seems to me there is a layer of haze over the music I read in another thread when someone compares the Yggdrasil LIM to the A2 Unison have similar experience. So, I already setup an audition to the Rockna Wavedream Edition SE next week see if my impression will change.
Thanks for sharing. DNA amps stage incredibly well in depth and width. Not sure if that is due to the no feedback design or the tubes used or the transformer used or maybe a combination of all these things. Very few amps I've heard stage as well as DNA amps and I can kind of understand why that can be a double edge sword for the hd650 as it can make it seem less intimate. The wavedream is a very nuanced dac and in my experience plays very well with DNA amps so hopefully this solves your issues with haze/clarity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back