DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Aug 27, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #4,021 of 4,403
D..a..m...n........

I thought I would be set with metal base GZ34 for stratus. This is just fantastic.

Running it with RCA NOS 2A3 that my tube seller got for me and RT select driver. Fantastic. Great power....meaning I cannot pass more than 3 on volume knob haha. Currently listening with Amrion Home. Tomorrow I will try with DT880 600ohm to see how it pairs with the tube combo.

Oh I cannot wait for my Auteur. Their once in a bluemoon update is literally a torture haha

Thanks again heliosphann! Much appreciated.

Auteur is one of my favs along with the Verite Open.

Is your Auteur being built right now?

Sep 4, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #4,023 of 4,403
Pretty much the only thing I don't like about the Stratus is the power swtich being on the back. Left my amp on again last night for the 3-4th time. Of course it doesn't help that I use Ken Rads with the black shields. :L3000:

Sep 4, 2021 at 9:13 PM Post #4,024 of 4,403
Pretty much the only thing I don't like about the Stratus is the power swtich being on the back. Left my amp on again last night for the 3-4th time. Of course it doesn't help that I use Ken Rads with the black shields. :L3000:
Haha. Indeed. I try not to burn myself whenever I reach back to turn it off. Mine is placed up against the wall corner per the my lord (wife) LOL

I really like it with DT880 600ohm. Probably first time I was able to turn the volume over 4 or 5 mark. All other headphones, I am at 2 or 3. Cannot go more than that. Between Amiron Home and DT880, man I seem to prefer DT880 more with Stratus. I was thinking about sending my DT880 for balance mod but maybe not at all.

I got a notice from ZMF that it is now in assembly stage and may take up to 4 weeks? Before QC process. So......Thanksgiving gift to myself. Hopefully before that.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #4,026 of 4,403
Has anybody compared DNA Stratus to Decware CSP3 playing with high impedance headphones? I know these are completly different amplifiers but would be interesting to know differences. I have bought ZMF Verite Open (will receive them shortly) and i am thinking on a good amp for them in case my current one is not a good match.

Sep 25, 2021 at 6:50 AM Post #4,027 of 4,403
Has anybody compared DNA Stratus to Decware CSP3 playing with high impedance headphones? I know these are completly different amplifiers but would be interesting to know differences. I have bought ZMF Verite Open (will receive them shortly) and i am thinking on a good amp for them in case my current one is not a good match.
Funny you ask, I will have the chance to compare those next week and will let you know.

Sep 25, 2021 at 7:15 AM Post #4,028 of 4,403
Funny you ask, I will have the chance to compare those next week and will let you know.
Wow, many thanks for responding and please share Your impressions:) Probably not many people have had a chance to compare it. Especially in EU where i am based these are very rare amps. Decware seems also not so popular here (maybe because they have their own forum).

What i am looking for is natural sound with good imagining (3d) without too much loss of detail. I am listening mainly jazz. OTLs like Decware are also much cheaper to tube roll than set amps. I wonder is there a benefit of having output transformer when You have high impedance headphones.

Sep 25, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #4,029 of 4,403
Especially in EU where i am based these are very rare amps.
What i am looking for is natural sound with good imagining (3d) without too much loss of detail. I am listening mainly jazz.
Your concerns regarding price and rarity is certainly valid and would be quite a risk to jump in blind given the cost of their amps. Do consider the starlett. It is less the half the price of the current stratus and while it still isn't cheap by any means, I think it is worth it's asking price and a good place to end your amp search. I'm using my VO with DNA Starlett and it is very much what you are looking for. Plus the tubes it uses are very affordable.

OTLs like Decware are also much cheaper to tube roll than set amps.
I know from experience that OTL doesn't necessarily means cheaper to tube roll. Even triodes like 300b and 2a3 can be had for reasonable price and they sound excellent. No need to go NOS tubes hunting. Good amps sound good regardless of the tubes used.

I wonder is there a benefit of having output transformer when You have high impedance headphones.
I often find sonic benefits depends on the amp makers and not the design philosophy.

Sep 25, 2021 at 1:11 PM Post #4,030 of 4,403
I know from experience that OTL doesn't necessarily means cheaper to tube roll. Even triodes like 300b and 2a3 can be had for reasonable price and they sound excellent. No need to go NOS tubes hunting. Good amps sound good regardless of the tubes used.

True, but Decware seems cheap to tube roll. Good new production DHT (such as EML) are expensive though.

I often find sonic benefits depends on the amp makers and not the design philosophy.

Absolutely, but i wonder if there is a general rule here, eg. better holography in SET or OTL ect. (such rule will always be aubject to many exceptions depending on particular application obviously). I wonder ifnthere is a benefit of hqving output transformer for high impedance HPs.

Btw, what is the difference sonically (in short) between Stratus and Starlett?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #4,031 of 4,403
I use my Stratus with my VO's quite a lot. Great pairing. I used that combo extensively for the testing of my Verite Open Pad Review.

Haven't heard a Decware CSP3, but the VO's like pretty much anything with tubes.

Oct 3, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #4,034 of 4,403

Users who are viewing this thread

Back