DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Mar 29, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #2,661 of 4,464
Based on my experience.... 10 months and counting. I was initially fairly relaxed about the 6 months quoted and expected some slippage, but 10 months plus is a long time. I may have been tempted to explore other options but have invested a lot in tubes for the amp.

Mar 29, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #2,662 of 4,464
I am solid state guy and always wanted to try tubes as well. I had heard good things about this amp. 

Definitely confusing with SET, OTL, and the million tubes available.

I'll have to try another tube amp in the meantime. Any recommendations for an amp that will give me that tube sound? I listen to rock and jazz and so I like a full sound with good bass, and not piercing highs. My headphones are HE-1000's and my DAC is a Meitner MA-1.

Mar 31, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #2,664 of 4,464
Good news.....just heard my stratus is next in line for production so hoping in a few weeks, my wait will be over! :)

Apr 1, 2016 at 1:02 PM Post #2,665 of 4,464
You all know this feeling... but I keep asking myself the same question:
First you come to terms to fork out lots of money to order a great amp like the Stratus... and then you discover the EC Studio, the DNA Stellaris, the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten,... So you keep wondering what you are leaving on the table. But it's a whole different price... This is where our hobby gets ugly ^^

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #2,667 of 4,464
You all know this feeling... but I keep asking myself the same question:
First you come to terms to fork out lots of money to order a great amp like the Stratus... and then you discover the EC Studio, the DNA Stellaris, the Cavalli Liquid Tungsten,... So you keep wondering what you are leaving on the table. But it's a whole different price... This is where our hobby gets ugly ^^

Anyone here that could add some impressions? A comparison of DNA Stratus and EC Studio would be greatly appreciated e.g. The others I mentioned are not yet available to my knowledge... (I could add Alo Studio 6, Apex Pinnacle and Teton... comparisons with EC balancing act do exist already)

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #2,668 of 4,464
  So who's complaining?  

I just said "I would prefer" other options.  And right now we "don't" have any options with the Stratus.  Only blue.  No complaint.  I guess you all just don't get it..   As I said before, my other gear is black with blue LEDs and "I" would rather keep that scheme going.  

Some builders gives options and some builders don't.  That's just how it is.  I'll just go where I have options.  No worries.

I've painted whole rooms to match my hifi gear.....paint is cheap!

Apr 4, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #2,669 of 4,464
  I am solid state guy and always wanted to try tubes as well. I had heard good things about this amp. 

Definitely confusing with SET, OTL, and the million tubes available. 

I'll have to try another tube amp in the meantime. Any recommendations for an amp that will give me that tube sound? I listen to rock and jazz and so I like a full sound with good bass, and not piercing highs. My headphones are HE-1000's and my DAC is a Meitner MA-1.

OTL amps work best - only with? -high impedance head phones, like the HD-650. SET amps have output transformers (they are inside the case on the Stratus) and employ either directly-heated or indirectly-heated triodes, or power pentodes (as a rule) wired as triodes for power tubes.  The most popular tubes in non-DIY headphone amps are the Type 45 (1-1.5W), 2A3 (2-2.5W) and 300B (typically 8-9W, but can be as low as 4-6W).  

The HE-1000 is not a good candidate.

There aren't that many DHT SET headphone amps. on the commercial market.  Type 45 Eddie Current, 2A3 DNA Stratus, Woo Audio ( 5 different SET models) are all I really know of.  I am sure there are more.

Good luck.  Just don't buy Chinese cheapies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back