DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Apr 4, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #2,671 of 4,470
Currently,my set up uses the Stratus and the HE1K, and it is as good a pairing I have ever heard. Many many assume that since the Stratus is considered one of the best amps for the HD-800, it could not ultimately be an optimal pairing for the HE1K, but that is false. One of the main reasons I went with the Stratus was because it is very versatile, and I can foresee myself holding on to it if I ever was to go with a different headphone. Stay away from the inefficient cans like HE-6s and Abyss and you'll be fine.

Apr 4, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #2,673 of 4,470
  Frihed, did you mean not a good candidate for OTL amps?

Just wanted some clarification to not confuse him...
While I didn't get a chance to hear the HE-1000 on a powerful SS amp, the Stratus drove it beautifully!

Yes, HE-1000 and OTL amps are not a good mix due to the high output impedance of OTLs in relation to the low impedance (heavy load) of the HE-1000.

Apr 6, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #2,674 of 4,470
Anyone have any experience using the -6dB setting for single ended output? I've been having issues with microphonic tubes and this setting does a good job getting rid of the noise. I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed any sonic degradation by using this mode. Maybe Donald can expand on how the attenuation is taking place, and whether not using it is preferred.

Apr 7, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #2,675 of 4,470
I bought a mazda 6BQ7A for my upcoming stratus. I noticed it is identical(same construction) to the Siemens 6BQ7A. If you have a hard time finding a mazda the siemens is an alternative. I have to stop hoarding tubes

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #2,676 of 4,470
They don't look at all like the Mazda's I have, but who's to say which is a Mazda, made in Japan?  Not me.

Apr 7, 2016 at 12:45 PM Post #2,677 of 4,470
As a retiree, I have a lot of time on my hands.  So, today I took my Stratus into my small listening space; hooked up my speakers to a little 12V6 Darling amp I bought from Larry Moore (Ultra Fi) and compared the two, headphones vs. speakers.  Now, my hearing is not great, but it's not awful, and some other hi-fi nerds with whom I have listened to music think i hear small very differences very well (I just don't remember tham for very long!).  I found that there are far bigger differences in what i heard between headphones, Audeze LCD-2, old K701s (with duct tape mods)  and relatively new HD650s than I heard between the Stratus set-up and my little speaker amp.  The biggest (small) difference was in the wider sound-staging of the speaker system (on which I have to adjust the channel volume for some CDs due to the crazy layout of the room).  

Apr 9, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #2,678 of 4,470
I bought a mazda 6BQ7A for my upcoming stratus. I noticed it is identical(same construction) to the Siemens 6BQ7A. If you have a hard time finding a mazda the siemens is an alternative. I have to stop hoarding tubes

Mine looks like this. While it sounds transparent, I prefer Westinghouse 6BQ7A. The Westinghouse tube is smooth, a bit more body and bass. Overall, I found the Westinghouse a bit more musical and engaging. In addition, it's much easier to obtain Westinghouse 6BQ7A.

Apr 10, 2016 at 5:12 AM Post #2,680 of 4,470
Mine looks like this. While it sounds transparent, I prefer Westinghouse 6BQ7A. The Westinghouse tube is smooth, a bit more body and bass. Overall, I found the Westinghouse a bit more musical and engaging. In addition, it's much easier to obtain Westinghouse 6BQ7A.

I agree with you. The Westinghouse is smoother, but not as transparent as the Mazda in my setup as well. It is worth noting that it is way more transparent than the RCA to my ears, so it may be a good balance for people who want a smoother yet not muddy/smeared sound. IMO.

Apr 10, 2016 at 6:59 AM Post #2,681 of 4,470
  Loving this combination of tubes with the HD650: GEC U52, EML Mesh 2A3s, and Westinghouse 6BQ7A

Beautiful pic. 

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:28 AM Post #2,682 of 4,470
Thanks Adam,

A friend has loaned me a large part of his tube collection, so I will be posting pictures of some of his rare and beautiful tubes.
First up...
I've found an AWESOME tube for the HD800 and it surpasses anything I've heard thus far on the Stratus.  It's one of those moments where you dial in your tube combination and you know that it sounds just right

The AVVT Solid Plates.  Categorizing these tubes as behemoth would be modest! Here are some pics:

Apr 10, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #2,683 of 4,470
Some members on here swear by this tube. I haven't had occasion to hear them. I was wondering if you had HE1000s, and if you could give feedback on how they pair with them.

Apr 10, 2016 at 12:30 PM Post #2,684 of 4,470
  Some members on here swear by this tube. I haven't had occasion to hear them. I was wondering if you had HE1000s, and if you could give feedback on how they pair with them.

Unfortunately I do not have the HE1000 or the ability to get a loaner from anyone local (NC).  Personally, I would find it hard to imagine a tube that fits the HEK better than the RCA monos, but with anything audio it's always a possibility.  I tried the RCA monos with the HD800 and couldn't find enjoyment regardless of rectifier and driver tube in the Stratus.

But I don't think you could go wrong with the EML 2A3S, considering that's the replacement of AVVT tubes, and AVVT tubes are very difficult to get a hold of nowadays.
I will post some pics of the AVVT Mesh that I have at my disposal when I get a longer listening session with it, but I can say that I much prefer the AVVT Mesh to the EML Mesh with the HD800.  This makes sense but only because the HD800 is such a picky headphone to begin with.  While they sound similar due to the fact that they both present the music with a very holographic soundstage, the AVVT is less aggressive, less peaky, and has a bit more body behind the midrange.  I found that due to its softer sound, micro-details weren't as present as with the AVVT solids, but still satisfactory considering the rest of the presentation.

Apr 10, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #2,685 of 4,470
I'm looking to have a second set of power tubes, as backups, and also as an alternate flavor. I'm considering the EML 2A3 solids currently, but don't think their expensive cost is warranted (for current production tubes). I may be understanding you wrongly, did you mean to say that the EML solids are made to be replicas of the AVVT tubes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back