DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 5, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #1,951 of 4,464
Confirmation: The JJ's sound good on the Stratus. A somewhat modern sounding tube with elevated bass and treble. Just lacking the finesse of the EML's. I can see why some may call the JJ a less refined version of the EML 2A3.

I like dark hp's like the HD650 and LCDX best with this tube. The midrange gets a boost while tube's top end isn't as bothersome. The HD800 and HE560 didn't fare as well, sounding a little dull in the midrange and icey up top. The JJ's low end has more heft than any 2A3 I've heard. So a light sounding rectifier provided the best balance. To my ear, those were the Brimar 5R4GY, U52, and Sylvania 5U4G. The bass could still be a little more controlled.

I wish I had the EML solid plate 2A3 to compare. But there is a reason I don't have one yet. Price! JJ is a good alternative to the EML tube at half the price. But I still miss the mid magic of the EML meshies... and still dream about the solid plates.

Does the EML 5U4G and EML mesh 2A3 sound good with the HD800? 

Sep 5, 2014 at 2:22 PM Post #1,952 of 4,464
Hard to say. It comes down to DAC and personal taste. I prefer the Sophia and Shuguang to the EML due to better treble attenuation. I have a somewhat bright source (OR5 + PWD2 with latest firmware) so the HD800 can be picky in my setup. If I were to try to make EML + HD800 work in my chain, I'd make sure to have a VT244 rectifier handy in case the EML sound fatigues.

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #1,953 of 4,464
To me and as reported by some, EML 2A3 and 5U4G together is a no-no for HD800. Sound is great at the start, but your ears will get fatigued after a while due to the aggressiveness of the EML tubes and music is a bit in your face. I don't think too many will like HD800 with an aggressive amplifier unless they are treble-happy. I have tried pairing the EML mesh with Ken Rad CKR for HD800, it is really very nice, highly detailed, clear and more realistic sounding than my other 2A3 tubes, but my ears still get fatigued after a while. If your ears don't get fatigued easily, it may be worth trying.

Sep 5, 2014 at 4:13 PM Post #1,954 of 4,464
Hi All,

Can aynone tell me the volume range usable in balanced mode with the HD800 ? What's the confortable ( not loud ) level  for High DR Music such as classical or Jazz and for more compressed music ?  Thks
beerchug.gif

In Low gain ( SE mode) on the Sonett, I never exceed 7 for classical and my average volume is between 4 and 5 if that can help.

Sep 5, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,955 of 4,464
To me and as reported by some, EML 2A3 and 5U4G together is a no-no for HD800. Sound is great at the start, but your ears will get fatigued after a while due to the aggressiveness of the EML tubes and music is a bit in your face. I don't think too many will like HD800 with an aggressive amplifier unless they are treble-happy. I have tried pairing the EML mesh with Ken Rad CKR for HD800, it is really very nice, highly detailed, clear and more realistic sounding than my other 2A3 tubes, but my ears still get fatigued after a while. If your ears don't get fatigued easily, it may be worth trying.

I might just stick to my original plan of EML 5U4G with Sophia El 2A3

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #1,956 of 4,464
A while ago we had a small meet here in São Paulo - Brazil (those close friends only meets), where I took my Stratus (SN #003) to be auditioned with my Yulong Sabre D18 DAC. Even having a Orpheus there did not took the light off the Stratus, as most where in line to test their headphones on this beautiful blue amp. It was so nice seen them enjoying the cans on the amp.. I even bought a whole lot of tubes for it after hearing all the complements from my friends.

LeonardoDrummond, a close friend who perform several reviews and it`s famous in the BR headphone scene, did I write up of his thoughts here: http://www.head-case.org/forums/topic/11835-s%C3%A3o-paulo-%E2%80%93-brazil-august-meet/
You can see how the Stratus made an impression even in the most experienced head-fiers :wink:

Here are some of the pics of it taken at the meet:

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,957 of 4,464
Great pictures and impressions! Thanks for sharing, Stank! Looked like a wonderful meet to be in :atsmile:

Sep 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #1,958 of 4,464
Thought I would share the result of my tube rolling the past few weeks. Please keep in mind that I have only one set of headphones - LCD3 with fazor upgrade. I have never heard HD800s but had a pair of T1s that are more similar than not. The LCD3s are a quite different sound so its very possible my comments below probably won't apply to HD800s, T1s or other more analytical phones.
First, I finally have a pair of Psvane WR2A3s that are sooooo sweet and don't make any weird noises (hope I'm not jinxing it). The Psvane tubes are, to my ears, the perfect balance of warmth and clarity. They still have a sweet tube sound but little tube bloom and a very silky smooth top end. Like all really good audio gear, they sound absolutely effortless.
After listening with different combinations of rectifiers (U52, EML), power tubes (EML mesh plates, Shuguang Nature Sound, Psvane WR2a3) and drivers (6N1Ps - cryo pearl, stock, voshkod) I am currently settling in with the Psvane 2A3s, EML rectifier and cryo pearl 6N1P. The EML rectifier seems to give this combo a little needed depth and punch. The smoothness of the cryo pearl driver helps keep the sweet top end of the Psvane tubes from getting sizzly like the other 6N1Ps did.
And for some fun: I tried a Sylvania 6BQ7A to replace the 6N1P and whoa! I get this huge, deep sound stage with loads of body and weight. Really a fun sound. Clear separation gives way to a big sound where instruments and vocals blend together in a very musical way. This particular Sylvania driver has a very strong and smooth midrange that seems to feed the LCD3s exactly what they handle best.
I think I can be happy switching back and forth between these two drivers for very different sounds while keeping the EML 5U4G and Psvane WR2A3s in place. 
The EML mesh plate 2A3s with the stock 6N1P and U52 rectifier gives me the very cleanest sound but even with other rectifier and driver combo, they always sound less exciting and lively than the Psvane tubes. And, the Shuguang Nature Sounds do best with U52 and stock 6N1P. The Shuguangs are nice and full but sound a little dull in comparison to the Psvane.
I will caution everyone that I have had seriously bad luck with Psvane tubes and the weird noises they make. But, when they are quiet, they are a superb tube. If you plan on trying them be sure you can return them for a refund, if necessary. It's difficult to buy these tubes except from China so, the cost of shipping a return and the pain in the ass factor should be considered.

We all hear differently so, this is all subjective. But, to me...this set up is the s&%t.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:14 PM Post #1,959 of 4,464
Mystery 2A3 tubes revealed:

The double-plate Golden Dragon 2A3, which are supposedly older Shuguangs, made in the 1990s. They look like replicas of vintage RCA double plates. They sound much more linear than the RCA's. Closer to the midcentric sound of the Sylvania's. The HD800's positively sing with these tubes and the U52.

Sold my pair of JJ 2A3-40. The Golden Dragons seem better fit on the Stratus for about 1/3 of the JJ's price.

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #1,960 of 4,464
  Mystery 2A3 tubes revealed:

The double-plate Golden Dragon 2A3, which are supposedly older Shuguangs, made in the 1990s. They look like replicas of vintage RCA double plates. They sound much more linear than the RCA's. Closer to the midcentric sound of the Sylvania's. The HD800's positively sing with these tubes and the U52.

Sold my pair of JJ 2A3-40. The Golden Dragons seem better fit on the Stratus for about 1/3 of the JJ's price.

have you heard these? I presume they are not the same. 

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Pair-Golden-Dragon-2A3-Premium-audio-triode-tube-valve-/390551073457

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #1,961 of 4,464
Anyone tried the Golden dragon 5u4g?

Sep 9, 2014 at 7:48 PM Post #1,963 of 4,464
  Hi All,

Can aynone tell me the volume range usable in balanced mode with the HD800 ? What's the confortable ( not loud ) level  for High DR Music such as classical or Jazz and for more compressed music ?  Thks
beerchug.gif

In Low gain ( SE mode) on the Sonett, I never exceed 7 for classical and my average volume is between 4 and 5 if that can help.

On the Stratus, I run the HD800 on high impedance mode (IEC) and SE mode and get the same volume (5.5) as going balanced.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,964 of 4,464
  Hi All,

beerchug.gif

I run the HD800's balanced and I am always between 0.1 and 1 on the volume dial.  No joke.  I find it plenty loud.

Sep 9, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #1,965 of 4,464
  Anyone tried the Golden dragon 5u4g?

Man oh man!!  You don't even have your Stratus and I feel like you've done more tube rolling than me 
wink_face.gif

I'm really looking forward to you getting yours because I think you will be a real asset to the Stratus community.  It arrives next month, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back