DNA Stratus 2A3 amplifier - first impressions
Sep 2, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #1,936 of 4,464
Hi im thinking of buying the EML 5u4g soon. There is  guy selling one on headfi but he is selling the solid plate version. I thought there was only a mesh plate version. Do both exist and which is better? I presume the mesh is better but i cant find any info on the solid plate anywhere not even on the EML website

Sep 2, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #1,937 of 4,464
  Hi im thinking of buying the EML 5u4g soon. There is  guy selling one on headfi but he is selling the solid plate version. I thought there was only a mesh plate version. Do both exist and which is better? I presume the mesh is better but i cant find any info on the solid plate anywhere not even on the EML website

Even Jac Music (Jac van der Walle) does not have an EML 5U4G solid plate in his price list. Maybe EML made them in the past in a solid plate version? I am awaiting a Ken-Rad VT-244 5U4G smooth plate recommended by several people here and for which drheadphone posted a reliable source in post #1922, thank you Drheadphone. I hope that the incoming VT-244 wil make a good combination with the EML 2A3 Mesh plates which are also pending. Exciting times.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #1,938 of 4,464
  Even Jac Music (Jac van der Walle) does not have an EML 5U4G solid plate in his price list. Maybe EML made them in the past in a solid plate version? I am awaiting a Ken-Rad VT-244 5U4G smooth plate recommended by several people here and for which drheadphone posted a reliable source in post #1922, thank you Drheadphone. I hope that the incoming VT-244 wil make a good combination with the EML 2A3 Mesh plates which are also pending. Exciting times.

Very exciting indeed. The solid plate does exist as far as i know. According to DG EML used to make the solid plate version but now only offer the mesh plate's. I am wondering if this is because the mesh version is superior? 

There is a solid plate EML for sale here on headfi but before i bought it i thought i would ask here. 

Sep 2, 2014 at 11:58 PM Post #1,939 of 4,464
Lately I’ve been playing a rectifier-headphone matching game on the Stratus. I think I've settled on some preferred rectifiers for each of my headphones. Of course, lots depends on the 2A3 tube, the source (mine: OR5->PWD2, Oppo 105), and personal taste. So take the impressions with a grain of salt. Also, large photos alert!

D7000+RCA 5R4GY – The RCA does the best job tightening the 7000’s beefy low end and keeping the soundstage extra-wide

HE560+Sophia 274B – A very linear-sounding combo with high-level detail top to bottom. The Sophia’s slightly rounded highs goes some ways to reduce the headphone’s tilted top end. Second Pick: JAN CKR (Ken Rad)

LCDX+JAN-CKR(Ken Rad) – This combo is buttery smooth with depth for days. Many goosebump inducing moments caused by the CKR’s life-like detail. Second pick: The Philips 5R4GYS has great top&bottom extension while still spotlighting the LCD’s midrange. A poor man’s EML 5U4G.

W3000ANV+Brimar 5R4GY - Gorgeous midrange and mucho romance with this combo with nice extended top. Second pick: Raytheon VT-244 – similar to the Brimar with noticeable roll off at the top.

HD800+Raytheon VT-244 with “H” shaped micas (which actually look closer to doggie bone shaped). The Raytheon helps boost the midrange where 800’s sorely need it, IMO. Resolution and soundstage is on same level of the Ken Rads. The Rays noticeably have less bass and more mids. Second Pick: U52 (for good recordings). Third Pick: Sophia 274B (for less than good recordings)

HD650+U52 - The U52 extracts top-end detail like no other and does the best to liven up the 650 while keeping its romantic characteristics.

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #1,940 of 4,464
Hi drheadphone, great impression! I was wondering if you can top up your impression by stating the 2A3 tubes you will use to pair up with the rectifiers and headphones respectively. I think that will be a wonderful reference for all of us 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #1,941 of 4,464
Okay. But I have some new 2A3's incoming. This includes a second pair of JJ 2A3-40, which is days away. Hopefully, they're a good pair this time. Currently burning-in a pair of black bottle 2A3C-T. Also, a mystery 2A3 is on its way. I will reveal it later this month and make an updated 2A3 list.

Sep 3, 2014 at 3:57 AM Post #1,942 of 4,464
  Okay. But I have some new 2A3's incoming. This includes a second pair of JJ 2A3-40, which is days away. Hopefully, they're a good pair this time. Currently burning-in a pair of black bottle 2A3C-T. Also, a mystery 2A3 is on its way. I will reveal it later this month and make an updated 2A3 list.

Well done - great work on the rectifiers. How much does the Raytheon VT -244 usually go for?

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM Post #1,944 of 4,464
The Raytheon VT-244 usually goes for $40-50. That's if you can find one. The availability is pretty sparse. I got mine from tubebrokers.com and it was the last one. At the moment I see one posted on ebay by vivatubes.com with just average test results but it's worth a shot given the rarity and decent price.

Looking sweet playitloud!

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:20 PM Post #1,945 of 4,464
Shuguang Natural sound 2A3-T, Ken Rad CKR VT-244 and Pearl 6N1P-EV gold grade

I have the same tubes in right now with the HD800 except replace the Pearl driver with a Cryoset. This is my second pair of the 2A3C-T. It sounds much better the second time around, especially with modern music. I wish I had the CKR around the first time, as it adds musicality and detail that previously I just didn't have with a plain ol' RCA 5U4G. I'm also getting nice sound from the Sophia 274b, which has a wider soundstage and a detail edge on the CKR. But it's really neck and neck.

Roll in the Sophia Princess 2A3 and the CKR has an even greater affinity. The highs are less shrill than the 274b while keeping a smooth midrange and nice bass presence. By comparison the Raytheons and the U52 just don't have the bass presence for modern music. I'd save them for lighter music like acoustic or classical.

So an update to my mini rectifier list:

For modern music:
HD800+Sophia 274b(or CKR)+Shuguang 2A3C-T
HD800+CKR CRC/CNU (see next post)+Sophia Princess 2A3 Mesh Plates

For light music (classical, jazz, acoustic):
HD800+RAYTHEON VT244 (especially vocal music)
HD800+U52
HD800+Sophia 274b

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #1,946 of 4,464
Nice! Will try out my Sophia Princess 2A3 later with the Ken Rad CKR too :)

Sep 3, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #1,947 of 4,464
I rolled in a few more VT244's. The RCA JAN CRC VT244 sounds really nice with the HD800/Sophia 2A3 combo and reduces the shrill factor even more than the CKR. I'm reminded why I like the Sophia 2A3 with HD800. I hear more of the music without that top end bite. The RCA tube plays a big part.

The National Union CNU vt244 sounds virtually identical to the RCA. It may well be the same tube.

So CRC/CNU > CKR with the Sophia 2A3 rolled in.

A big IMHO.

Sep 4, 2014 at 9:58 AM Post #1,948 of 4,464
Tried the Sophia Princess 2A3 with Ken Rad CKR. Indeed very nice with the Ken Rad CKR, more detailed and less warm than the shuguang NS. However, I still prefer the Natural sound a little more mainly due to the soundstage. Together with the Ken Rad CKR, the soundstage depth produces more wow moments for me while the Sophia Princess has a more forward sound.

Sep 4, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #1,949 of 4,464
Yeah, the CKR does sound great with the 2A3C-T. The Sophia 274b sounds a little more spacious and less fatiguing to my ear, which is weird because I prefer the CKR to the 274b with the Sophia 2A3 Mesh Plates rolled in. Just goes to show the 2A3 can play a big role in rectifier choice, especially with a tricky (read: picky) headphone like the HD800.

Just got my JJ 2A3 tube from Banzaimusic.com today...

They actually produce sound unlike my last pair! First impressions, they sound like EML's minus the mid magic of the mesh plates. Wish I had solid plates to compare. In the process of burning in...

Sep 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM Post #1,950 of 4,464
Confirmation: The JJ's sound good on the Stratus. A somewhat modern sounding tube with elevated bass and treble. Just lacking the finesse of the EML's. I can see why some may call the JJ a less refined version of the EML 2A3.

I like dark hp's like the HD650 and LCDX best with this tube. The midrange gets a boost while tube's top end isn't as bothersome. The HD800 and HE560 didn't fare as well, sounding a little dull in the midrange and icey up top. The JJ's low end has more heft than any 2A3 I've heard. So a light sounding rectifier provided the best balance. To my ear, those were the Brimar 5R4GY, U52, and Sylvania 5U4G. The bass could still be a little more controlled.

I wish I had the EML solid plate 2A3 to compare. But there is a reason I don't have one yet. Price! JJ is a good alternative to the EML tube at half the price. But I still miss the mid magic of the EML meshies... and still dream about the solid plates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back