DNA Stellaris
May 15, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #331 of 683
Thanks again, St.P. There's a long thread on the HD600, here, on head-fi. It's not as warm as the HD650s. I have never tried them.
Don't forget that there is a new option, the HD 660S. They are a lower impedance model and sound quite nice too.

May 15, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #332 of 683
That tube has been out a year or more and no-one has ever posted as having tried them and impressions.

You are completely right. Just came back from a hiatus of upgradetitus. I see there is a Sophia 300b 2.5v as well. Looks like the psvane wr2a3 is same idea. Can anyone comment on how these 300b 2.5v sound in general vs. 2a3?

Jun 21, 2020 at 6:50 AM Post #334 of 683
Hey guys. Looking for some advice.. I have a Woo Audio 22 with some nice tubes, and the Utopia and Abyss 1266 TC Phi.

I was considering the Wa33 JPS edition, but a few people I know have suggested other amps, mainly the Eddie Current Studio and the DNA Stellaris. At this time, an EC Studio has popped up in my local buy/sell, so pretty tempting..

Some concerns:
- I've not had the chance to listen to either Studio or Stellaris.
- warranty issue, should anything happen. Am located in Singapore. On the other hand, Woo and JPS have a local distributor/dealer.

Small side issue, but has anyone gotten a "custom" Stellaris made, or is this a simply out of the question kind of thing? I'm thinking it would look amazing in black..

I've tried scouring this thread for comparisons and thoughts on pairings with the abyss 1266, but didn't find many posts.

Could anyone chime in on this?

Jun 21, 2020 at 7:40 AM Post #335 of 683
@Roasty

I currently own the Stellaris, had Stratus, heard Starlett and Sonett. Currently own EC Aficionado, had ZanaDeux, ZanaDeuxSuper, heard the Studio

EC Studio is a very good amp. IMO, EC gear in general has more 'grunt', grain, timbre & texture than the DNA gear. If I was going to rock out, I'd go EC. DNA gear is, again IMO, higher end gear. I almost never listen to classical but if I did Stellaris is the amp I'd choose. Faster, cleaner, more refined.

EC is closing up shop & selling the last of their gear so its doubtful you could get a new Studio from them. Even more doubtful Craig would offer warranty service from retirement on an amp you bought used. DNA is a going concern & Donald is pretty responsive to his customers. The distance and shipping issue is what it is.

Stellaris is fantastic with Utopia, I own one. I don't know anyone pairing the Abyss with Stellaris & I've never heard the combo. I vaguely remember some comments around here, maybe Jude? Check the Abyss threads I guess.

Donald makes custom amps and upgrades to the Stellaris are available. He's been receptive to the concept of different colors, but I will say he loves that blue and you would have some persuading to do. :wink:

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #337 of 683
Hey guys. Looking for some advice.. I have a Woo Audio 22 with some nice tubes, and the Utopia and Abyss 1266 TC Phi.

I was considering the Wa33 JPS edition, but a few people I know have suggested other amps, mainly the Eddie Current Studio and the DNA Stellaris. At this time, an EC Studio has popped up in my local buy/sell, so pretty tempting..

Some concerns:
- I've not had the chance to listen to either Studio or Stellaris.
- warranty issue, should anything happen. Am located in Singapore. On the other hand, Woo and JPS have a local distributor/dealer.

Small side issue, but has anyone gotten a "custom" Stellaris made, or is this a simply out of the question kind of thing? I'm thinking it would look amazing in black..

I've tried scouring this thread for comparisons and thoughts on pairings with the abyss 1266, but didn't find many posts.

Could anyone chime in on this?
I currently own a WA22 and a Stellaris. The WA22 is on sale. I for shure can recommend the Stellaris, Donald will help you with whatever you need.

BTW I live in Brazil, so getting a solid build is a must for me. Can think of returning a Stellaris by having a problem with the unit.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #338 of 683
@Joao Paulo Martins and @ogodei

Many thanks for the info; that was very helpful. I'll see if anyone else has any comments, and try do some more research on the amp myself. Will email DNA soon and get a shipping quote.

Jun 21, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #339 of 683
Woah! Colour me flattered :) @ogodei

Good memory!

Yeah I had both the AB-1266 (the original version, pre-Phi) and Stellaris #2. I don't know if Donald has made any change to the Stellairs as he did make periodical updates/upgrades to the Stratus.

I can't recall reading anyone having an issue with one of Donald's amps UNLESS it was something like user related like damaged a tube socket or it was the tubes themselves that caused the issue. His amps use very high quality (read: go though a lot of QC before delivery) then he personally tests each amp. The amp construction it self is "simple" in that it is all point to point wiring and all hand made. Basically, what I am trying to get at, if quality is a concern, you literally cannot do better than a DNA amp and issues with his stuff seem to basically unheard of.

He's also a super nice, stand up guy.

I know I wrote something about the Abyss+Stellaris combo but I couldn't seem to dig it up. It has also been a few years now (boy, time flies!) so my memory won't be 100%. From what I do recall the pairing was really quite good but I also felt that both the Stellairs and the Abyss would be better served with other pairings. For example, the strengths of the Stellaris (as ogodei pointed out) do shine through more on things like a HD800/HD6X0, Utopia, AK-1000's. The strengths of the Abyss as better played with other amps - specially big 'ol Class A stuff that have the grunt. If memory serves I did preffer the Abyss with the Studio over the Stellairs, but I also preferred the Abyss with a Pass amp over the Studio.

Anyway, this has basically just devolved into me rambling and probably isn't of much help... I listen to a lot of classical, acoustic, jazz and blues so the Stellaris + modded HD800 was my jam: it is a really outstanding combo. If you are more of a rock guy, the Stelliars may not have the grit that goes so well with that.

Ultimately there are all really fantastic amps and the Abyss are really fantastic headphones. Putting any of them together is going to sound great. It just may not be ideal for you and personal tastes.

Happy listening.

Jun 22, 2020 at 8:25 AM Post #340 of 683
Woah! Colour me flattered :) @ogodei

Good memory!

Yeah I had both the AB-1266 (the original version, pre-Phi) and Stellaris #2. I don't know if Donald has made any change to the Stellairs as he did make periodical updates/upgrades to the Stratus.

I can't recall reading anyone having an issue with one of Donald's amps UNLESS it was something like user related like damaged a tube socket or it was the tubes themselves that caused the issue. His amps use very high quality (read: go though a lot of QC before delivery) then he personally tests each amp. The amp construction it self is "simple" in that it is all point to point wiring and all hand made. Basically, what I am trying to get at, if quality is a concern, you literally cannot do better than a DNA amp and issues with his stuff seem to basically unheard of.

He's also a super nice, stand up guy.

I know I wrote something about the Abyss+Stellaris combo but I couldn't seem to dig it up. It has also been a few years now (boy, time flies!) so my memory won't be 100%. From what I do recall the pairing was really quite good but I also felt that both the Stellairs and the Abyss would be better served with other pairings. For example, the strengths of the Stellaris (as ogodei pointed out) do shine through more on things like a HD800/HD6X0, Utopia, AK-1000's. The strengths of the Abyss as better played with other amps - specially big 'ol Class A stuff that have the grunt. If memory serves I did preffer the Abyss with the Studio over the Stellairs, but I also preferred the Abyss with a Pass amp over the Studio.

Anyway, this has basically just devolved into me rambling and probably isn't of much help... I listen to a lot of classical, acoustic, jazz and blues so the Stellaris + modded HD800 was my jam: it is a really outstanding combo. If you are more of a rock guy, the Stelliars may not have the grit that goes so well with that.

Ultimately there are all really fantastic amps and the Abyss are really fantastic headphones. Putting any of them together is going to sound great. It just may not be ideal for you and personal tastes.

Happy listening.

Thanks man! That was very helpful. I have sent Donald an email.

Also, a local head-fier read my previous post on this thread and has gotten in touch with me and has invited me to have a listen to his EC Studio and DNA Stellaris!

This is a relief..! As I've been blind buying a lot of my gear with some hits and misses..

Jun 22, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #341 of 683
Thanks man! That was very helpful. I have sent Donald an email.

Also, a local head-fier read my previous post on this thread and has gotten in touch with me and has invited me to have a listen to his EC Studio and DNA Stellaris!

This is a relief..! As I've been blind buying a lot of my gear with some hits and misses..

Lucky you. My money is on the Stellaris; if it were me, I would buy a separate amp for the Abyss and keep the Stellaris for primarily dynamic headphones such as the aforementioned dynamics. You really cannot get better than the Stellaris for the Utopia from a tube amp, and I would choose it over the WA33.

Please post back with your impressions.

Aug 6, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #342 of 683
Just joined the gang, really enjoy the huge jump from my beloved V281:). Gonna upgrade the tubes stepwise, can anyone suggest which tube(s) should I start with?

Picture: a lovely afternoon with my setup

Attachments

• WechatIMG353.jpeg
    WechatIMG353.jpeg
    107.4 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back