DNA Stellaris
Aug 6, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #346 of 683
BTW, there are EML 2A3 Mesh Globes available for EML's anniversary.

I have them and the PS Vane ACMEs. There is definitely a bit more air on the top end of the EMLs. But I wouldn't call them precise per say.

Would just say the ACME's have more apparent bottom end and EML's more apparent top end. So I would select based on what you think you need more of.

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:51 PM Post #348 of 683
@Crashem how much are the eml globes going for? Would love to compare against my avvt and acme.
I also found I have a pair of cobalt avvt 2a3, the gas glows green!

Aug 6, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #349 of 683
BTW, there are EML 2A3 Mesh Globes available for EML's anniversary.

I have them and the PS Vane ACMEs. There is definitely a bit more air on the top end of the EMLs. But I wouldn't call them precise per say.

Would just say the ACME's have more apparent bottom end and EML's more apparent top end. So I would select based on what you think you need more of.
Thanks, this is very helpful! Guess I will stay with these original tubes for a while to find in which direction I want the sound enhanced.

Congratulations @kokutouqian!! That's stellar! (Eh? See what I did there?)
Yep, thank you and the subsequent owners to realize my wallet burning dream:beerchug:

Aug 7, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #351 of 683
Just joined the gang, really enjoy the huge jump from my beloved V281:). Gonna upgrade the tubes stepwise, can anyone suggest which tube(s) should I start with?

Picture: a lovely afternoon with my setup
I didn't want to deal with NOS and also like the ACME. Good air. Had the KR Audio 2A3 before, but one tube gave out after a few months, disappointing.
There's a lot of info also in the Stratus thread.

EML 5U4G is readily available and a good rectifier tube. Sounds better than stock, haven't tried many others.

That said, I could also happily live with the stock tubes. The difference is there but tiny compared to going from my previous amp (Eddie Current Black Widow 2 which was no slouch) to Stellaris. In hindsight, I would have waited a bit before going down the tube rolling path in order to get used to the Stellaris sound to better appreciate the differences of different tubes. Diminishing returns.

Aug 7, 2020 at 2:00 AM Post #352 of 683
Did this took place already, or did COVID-19 push it back for a while? Very curious to read your opinion as well...

Hey there. It has not taken place yet. I am waiting for my TC Phi to come back from abyss (driver issue) before I head over to demo the amps, as the owner wants to try out the abyss too.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #353 of 683
Thanks, this is very helpful! Guess I will stay with these original tubes for a while to find in which direction I want the sound enhanced.

Yep, thank you and the subsequent owners to realize my wallet burning dream:beerchug:
For what it's worth as an early assessment, after listening to the stock tubes for several months I switched out the stock 2A3s for ACMEs. The headphones are ZMF Verité and Diana V2s for the primary comparison. With the stock tubes, there was a difference but equal enjoyment from both phones. Neither was dominant. After the change, there was a significant difference. The Diana is the clear winner. The source material has been primarily jazz. The Verité still sounds wonderful and not in any way less than before, but the Diana takes on a new clarity. So far, everything sounds right (one of those very subjective assessments!). My impression is the ACME enhanced the feeling of air. Its new days, so take this as such.

Congratulations on your new amp.

Aug 7, 2020 at 8:40 AM Post #354 of 683
I didn't want to deal with NOS and also like the ACME. Good air. Had the KR Audio 2A3 before, but one tube gave out after a few months, disappointing.
There's a lot of info also in the Stratus thread.

EML 5U4G is readily available and a good rectifier tube. Sounds better than stock, haven't tried many others.

That said, I could also happily live with the stock tubes. The difference is there but tiny compared to going from my previous amp (Eddie Current Black Widow 2 which was no slouch) to Stellaris. In hindsight, I would have waited a bit before going down the tube rolling path in order to get used to the Stellaris sound to better appreciate the differences of different tubes. Diminishing returns.
I may go for EML tubes. 5 years warranty sounds relieving. And thanks, I will check Stratus thread.

Aug 8, 2020 at 12:39 AM Post #355 of 683
I may go for EML tubes. 5 years warranty sounds relieving. And thanks, I will check Stratus thread.

From a reliability and replacing bad tubes, EML is way better than PS VANE. PSVane has definitely had problems in the past but I hear the ACME’s are better. But definitely get psvane from dealer you trust. But end of day EML is better. Just have to look at the warranty length to know.

Sep 9, 2020 at 10:01 AM Post #356 of 683
I've only had one dac with the Stellaris, the Metrum Pavane DAC2 and it's been a glorious ride so far and highly recommend it for anyone with this amp. This is a step above, nothing earthshattering but there are little improvements in each and every area and those add up. The common complains of the Utopia don't exist here, at all. Was pondering selling the amp, this setup gives me pause, or time for a Stellaris Special?
20200909_145200.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2020 at 2:59 PM Post #359 of 683
M17, I'm sure Donald can do that, but I warn you it will probably end up as basically an AN(UK) amplifier. You may or may not like the sound. It's pretty polite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back