DNA Stellaris
Sep 10, 2020 at 4:05 AM Post #361 of 683
I don't think Audio Note (UK) produces a really high-end 2A3 amp, but the Empress Silver Signature mono blocks certainly has a pretty polite sound signature, but still captures the inner details and never falls behind, dynamically. However, it doesn't have silver OPTs, or silver coupling caps.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #362 of 683
According to the owner of Audio Note (UK), AN(UK) will never get into the headphone business, but they have co-operated with Donald in certain elements of the design and furnishing parts. I don't know any more than this. Ask Donald, if he can build an all silver Stellaris. One thing is for sure, it would vastly increase the price.

Sep 10, 2020 at 3:53 PM Post #363 of 683
I haven't heard their gear, unfortunately.

I know Donald has worked with AN UK around manufacture and some design elements of the input and output transformers, at least.

From conversations with Donald I understand that the pure-silver output transformers of the Silver might double the cost of the 'special' edition, which already would be higher than the regular Stellaris. :anguished:

Sep 10, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #364 of 683
While I won't argue against the use of silver on the OTP and will likely try it one day soon, I won't want to try Audio Note's all silver offerings for four reasons:
1. There's some debate about how important the primary winding quality is. Secondary yes, absolutely.
2. I'd like to see an exotic core as well, Hitachi AMCC or F3CC or equivalent.
3. Since I'm running high sensitivity dynamics drivers where 100mW is plenty I don't need a monster capable amp and seems a bit of a waste. YMMV.
4. I'd rather commission a 10Y 2A3 amp from Donald without silver, better bang for buck.

Sep 10, 2020 at 10:44 PM Post #365 of 683
That tube has been out a year or more and no-one has ever posted as having tried them and impressions.
I have been using the EML 300B 2.5 for about a year now, on and off in my Stratus. I envy you Stellaris owners. I find it to be a very musical tube. It's very rich sounding and, imo, a more refined sound than the Sophia 300B 2.5. I'm listening through ZFM Verite and very enjoyable - in the Stratus. Interestingly, in my Stratus, I find the Psvane ACME to be be very airy but also a little thin compared to the EML 2A3 mesh or the 300B 2.5 which is contrary to what some others hear on the Stellaris. About that EML warranty - one of my 300B 25 tubes has developed a low level sputtering noise and it should be under warranty. I purchased from one of their dealers - you can't buy direct from EML - and they were quick to mention that they don't deal with warranty issues - deal with EML. Well, after a bit of frustration trying to contact EML for warranty problem I went back to the selling dealer (RAM Tube works) who told me I needed to contact the distributor (JAC Music, Germany). There is virtually no way to find this information on their website. I sent JAC an email earlier this week and have yet to hear back. I don't know if it will be a problem or not but anyone purchasing EML tubes might want to purchase from JAC Music and quiz them about the mechanics of a warranty claim. It isn't all that clear. BUT, I sure do love the tubes. And, while it is called a 300B tube, isn't it really just a 2A3 tube made differently from other 2A3 tubes? And finally, sorry to be so long winded - on the website the new EML Special Edition 2A3 is $900 for pair.

Sep 11, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #366 of 683
There is also the EML 2A3-S (Solid plate) to consider. I far prefer it to the mesh-plate, which I found to be great in the treble, but lacks "body" in the mid-range. I have not tried the EML 300B 2.5, but I have a number of other 2A3 tubes, anyway.

Sep 11, 2020 at 9:15 PM Post #367 of 683
While I won't argue against the use of silver on the OTP and will likely try it one day soon, I won't want to try Audio Note's all silver offerings for four reasons:
1. There's some debate about how important the primary winding quality is. Secondary yes, absolutely.
From my experience the primary winding composition is significant and you’ll hear a difference between copper & silver. If you have the opportunity, listen to a Neiro vs Kageki; Kassai vs Kegon; Tomei vs Ongaku

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 5:46 PM Post #368 of 683
M17, I'm sure Donald can do that, but I warn you it will probably end up as basically an AN(UK) amplifier. You may or may not like the sound. It's pretty polite.

As a Stellaris Special (1/2 silver OPTs on secondary + etc) owner (serial #2), there's nothing "polite" about the sound. Adding silver doesn't make the sound any less incisive, just the opposite - more clarity & more inner timbre. It's not like Donald changes his overall Stellaris design for the SSpecial, so why should SSpecial become more polite? I'd love to have the full silver version!

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 8:50 AM Post #369 of 683
As a Stellaris Special (1/2 silver OPTs on secondary + etc) owner (serial #2), there's nothing "polite" about the sound. Adding silver doesn't make the sound any less incisive, just the opposite - more clarity & more inner timbre. It's not like Donald changes his overall Stellaris design for the SSpecial, so why should SSpecial become more polite? I'd love to have the full silver version!

Out of interest - what is a "Stellaris Special"? Is it a regular Steallaris that has been upgraded, and if so, when was that done and by who?

Sep 15, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #370 of 683
Features of the Stellaris Special include:
• Upgraded Audio Note output transformers with 50% nickel cores, copper primary and silver secondary windings
• Audio Note silver tantalum plate-loading resistors
• Custom 41-step TKD stepped attenuator

See at the bottom of the Stellaris webpage: http://www.dnaudio.com/DNA-Stellaris-2A3-headphone-amplifier.html

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:10 AM Post #371 of 683
There’s more to it and I need to update the webpage accordingly. The Special includes speaker outputs with binding posts on the right hand side of the chassis. The output transformers are different from the standard Stellaris and have dual secondaries which can be switched between series and parallel connection depending on the load impedance. The power supply was revised for speaker and headphone use including new filter chokes.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #372 of 683
7dXCTaal.jpg
fE1j4qnl.jpg
cNbI4Xrl.jpg

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #373 of 683
I have been using the EML 300B 2.5 for about a year now, on and off in my Stratus. I envy you Stellaris owners. I find it to be a very musical tube. It's very rich sounding and, imo, a more refined sound than the Sophia 300B 2.5. I'm listening through ZFM Verite and very enjoyable - in the Stratus. Interestingly, in my Stratus, I find the Psvane ACME to be be very airy but also a little thin compared to the EML 2A3 mesh or the 300B 2.5 which is contrary to what some others hear on the Stellaris. About that EML warranty - one of my 300B 25 tubes has developed a low level sputtering noise and it should be under warranty. I purchased from one of their dealers - you can't buy direct from EML - and they were quick to mention that they don't deal with warranty issues - deal with EML. Well, after a bit of frustration trying to contact EML for warranty problem I went back to the selling dealer (RAM Tube works) who told me I needed to contact the distributor (JAC Music, Germany). There is virtually no way to find this information on their website. I sent JAC an email earlier this week and have yet to hear back. I don't know if it will be a problem or not but anyone purchasing EML tubes might want to purchase from JAC Music and quiz them about the mechanics of a warranty claim. It isn't all that clear. BUT, I sure do love the tubes. And, while it is called a 300B tube, isn't it really just a 2A3 tube made differently from other 2A3 tubes? And finally, sorry to be so long winded - on the website the new EML Special Edition 2A3 is $900 for pair.

I got a pair of EML 2A3m and one needs to be replaced as well...Haven't contact JAC yet but it seems the process is not expected to be smooth. Have you got any update from JAC?

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:46 AM Post #374 of 683
Love the SSpecial nomenclature, I intend to steal it. And welcome jimWA to the forum.

Definitely retains the Stellaris sound, just adding more clarity to it. I recognized it instantly as an upgrade but not a step into something else. Less polite than refined, maybe?

I've been moving into SET speaker amps rather than headphone gear recently so this was a natural choice for me, I'm not sure yet just which stack this will end up in but I suspect the speaker side of the house will have a new champion amp soon.

A few more optional upgrades which required some (not much) begging and pleading on my part. The sticker for the Directly Heated / Indirectly Heated rectifier is my addition as I'm forgetful.

FpX0KO6l.jpg

Xdn6C4il.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back