DNA Stellaris
Apr 14, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #676 of 683
Yes. The attitude I received was one of suspicion that their tubes could possibly not be perfect. They heavily implied that I must have done something to damage the tubes
Aww, man sorry you had to go through that. Thanks for the warning.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #677 of 683
Too many variables for me to make sweeping statements on what is best for you and your use case. Best, in general, is highly subjective and what might gel for me in one session might not the next.
Yeah, this looks like a great starting point for me though. Thanks a bunch!

Apr 25, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #678 of 683
I hear those whom are happy with the Susvara combo and I'm bewildered.
Fwiw, much to my surprise I've found Stellaris and Susvara to be an excellent match. It takes 70-80% on the volume pot to really drive Sus to its max, but at that level, despite my best efforts to confirm what the common wisdom says should be the case, I can't hear any weakness, lack of dynamics, or failure to be anything but amazing. Sure, Susvara on tubes sound *different* than a powerful solid state amp, but tubes aren't supposed to sound like solid state. To my ears, Susvara on Stellaris is crisp, dynamic, euphonic, with depth & imaging beyond anything else I've ever heard.

I heard a recent hypothesis that Stellaris's beefy output transformers may have something to do with it powering Susvara better than might be expected given its listed power ratings? This seems plausible to me, though I am no electrical engineer. But I've had a few months now to TRY to hear Stellaris driving Susvara any worse than Bliss, and for the life of me I can't buy into that.

Just my 2 cents.

Apr 25, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #679 of 683
Fwiw, much to my surprise I've found Stellaris and Susvara to be an excellent match. It takes 70-80% on the volume pot to really drive Sus to its max, but at that level, despite my best efforts to confirm what the common wisdom says should be the case, I can't hear any weakness, lack of dynamics, or failure to be anything but amazing. Sure, Susvara on tubes sound *different* than a powerful solid state amp, but tubes aren't supposed to sound like solid state. To my ears, Susvara on Stellaris is crisp, dynamic, euphonic, with depth & imaging beyond anything else I've ever heard.

I heard a recent hypothesis that Stellaris's beefy output transformers may have something to do with it powering Susvara better than might be expected given its listed power ratings? This seems plausible to me, though I am no electrical engineer. But I've had a few months now to TRY to hear Stellaris driving Susvara any worse than Bliss, and for the life of me I can't buy into that.

Just my 2 cents.
Over in speaker world they say, to drive a given load, you need fewer “tube watts” than solid-state watts.

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:06 AM Post #680 of 683

Just my 2 cents.

Would be interesting if you compared stellaris on sus to a 300b amp with sus.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:23 AM Post #681 of 683
Would be interesting if you compared stellaris on sus to a 300b amp with sus.

Don't forget he's also using a Holo Audio May which puts out around 5.8 volts. If you have a DAC that only puts out 2 volts single ended, you won't get the 70-80% of max volume of the Sus. Probably even at max volume, you'll lose dynamics with just a 2V input to the Stellaris when driving Susvara. You can make the Susvara loud with a preamp with lots of gain to the Stellaris and it'll drive the Sus a lot better if you don't have a DAC that puts out a lot of voltage

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #682 of 683
Don't forget he's also using a Holo Audio May which puts out around 5.8 volts. If you have a DAC that only puts out 2 volts single ended, you won't get the 70-80% of max volume of the Sus. Probably even at max volume, you'll lose dynamics with just a 2V input to the Stellaris when driving Susvara. You can make the Susvara loud with a preamp with lots of gain to the Stellaris and it'll drive the Sus a lot better if you don't have a DAC that puts out a lot of voltage
Good point could even put in a full tube preamp to max out the 'magic' lol

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:34 AM Post #683 of 683
Good point could even put in a full tube preamp to max out the 'magic' lol

Depending on how much gain that tube preamp has, it can possibly clip the Stellaris from too hot of an input, but being a SET amp, that's less likely to happen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back