DNA Stellaris
Mar 21, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #661 of 683
If it was me and I really wanted the new 1995 series to work with the Stellaris, I'd try it first and if it wasn't enough I'd try the 16ohm interface. It was better with the 16 ohm than the 32ohm with the CA-1A.
I don't recall, is the interface proposed for the 95 the same or did they switch impedance range?

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #662 of 683
I don't recall, is the interface proposed for the 95 the same or did they switch impedance range?
Standard is 32 but you can use the old interfaces or have a custom in either 8 or 16.

Mar 21, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #663 of 683
Mar 24, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #664 of 683
Apr 13, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #665 of 683
Serial #35 checking in. Have had the unit for about a year now and have been loving every minute of it.

I'm curious about tube upgrades. If it is not too much trouble, it would be great to hear what upgrades other owners have landed on! Please share your tube upgrades. What worked and what, perhaps, worked less well.

Thanks!

Apr 14, 2024 at 12:22 PM Post #666 of 683
Serial #35 checking in. Have had the unit for about a year now and have been loving every minute of it.

I'm curious about tube upgrades. If it is not too much trouble, it would be great to hear what upgrades other owners have landed on! Please share your tube upgrades. What worked and what, perhaps, worked less well.

Thanks!
Serial #26 responding... I've upgraded to a pair of Takatsuki TA-2A3 power tubes, an Elrog ER-5U4G rectifier tube, and a Sylvania Gold Brand 6BQ7A input tube. I'm not very skilled at describing the subtle sonic characteristics of these things. The Stellaris is my first tube amp so I'm not drawing on lots of past experience with different tube configurations. I will say two things: First, I find the sound with the upgrade tubes to be a bit more lively relative to stock. I like the change. Second, the Stellaris sounds outstanding without the upgrade tubes and new owners (and budget-constrained owners) should not feel compelled to make the additional investment - especially not right away.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 1:56 PM Post #667 of 683
Serial #26 responding... I've upgraded to a pair of Takatsuki TA-2A3 power tubes, an Elrog ER-5U4G rectifier tube, and a Sylvania Gold Brand 6BQ7A input tube. I'm not very skilled at describing the subtle sonic characteristics of these things. The Stellaris is my first tube amp so I'm not drawing on lots of past experience with different tube configurations. I will say two things: First, I find the sound with the upgrade tubes to be a bit more lively relative to stock. I like the change. Second, the Stellaris sounds outstanding without the upgrade tubes and new owners (and budget-constrained owners) should not feel compelled to make the additional investment - especially not right away.
I have these tubes, and while they are no doubt one of the best in sound there are some issues.

The Elrog 5u4g is no longer being produced, in no small part due to issues with reliability in various amps.
The Takatsuki TA-2A3 warranty process is rather stingy and difficult and protracted; I went through two sets. The first set they sent read only 1/2 normal emissions. The second pair has an intermittent hum that developed after the warranty expired.

A much "safer" upgrade path would be the Psvane Acme 2a3's, a RCA 5u4g 1950s rectifier, and the input tube of your choice.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:01 PM Post #668 of 683
Sylvania Gold Brand 6BQ7A
Wow, that one is $1.59 here. Could something that cheap really be better than the stock one? I'm not saying it isn't, of course -- I haven't heard it. But why wouldn't Donald have picked it then?
the Stellaris sounds outstanding without the upgrade tubes and new owners (and budget-constrained owners) should not feel compelled to make the additional investment
Yeah, this is true. I'm very happy with the performance of the stock Stellaris. But it is fun to explore the possibilities and isn't it true that the stock tubes will eventually fail, and when they do, having backups seems like a good idea?

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:29 PM Post #670 of 683

Thanks!
I found the Elrog 5U4G to be a MEANINGFUL upgrade vs the stock tubes (meh?) or EML Mesh (wamer, bloomier). The Elrog is clean, precise, and highly dynamic. Sadly, I think it is [temporarily?] out of production, but I'm sure it can still be found second-hand. Well worth the $ IMHO.

For input tube, I tried a few and found Sylvania 6BQ7A to be materially better than anything else. Got this tip from Andris, and he was 100% right. These tubes are cheap and readily available, buy a few and see what appeals to you. (*pro tip: it will be Sylvania :wink:)

For 2A3s, I landed on RCA black plates. I know a lot of people swear by new production Takatsukis, but given the price difference I really don't see how the Taks could be meaningfully better than NOS RCAs given the price difference.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #671 of 683
Wow, that one is $1.59 here. Could something that cheap really be better than the stock one? I'm not saying it isn't, of course -- I haven't heard it. But why wouldn't Donald have picked it then?
Hah! I paid $20 to a tube seller on eBay. Oh, well. Mine is "Sylvania Gold Brand" with gold pins. Maybe those come at a premium?

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #672 of 683
Grab this ASAP, gold pins are even better!

Why, Donald believes in using something easily available for a low cost, 6N1P is in abundance and he also measure to ensure each input tube is within his spec for the amp. Trying to do that on an old stock tube which isn’t as readily available does not make sense, of one wants it they can search for one. The link you posted is by far the best price I’ve seen it at as it’s typically $30 with shipping.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #673 of 683

Thanks!
Notable tubes I have with my general preference indicated in the listed order
Input: 6n1p Pearl Reflector, 6bk7b Sylvania, 6bq7a Sylvania Gold,
Rectifiers: 5U4G GEC, Elrog, KR RK Anniversary, RCA, 422a WE/adapter
Power: 2A3 RCA mono plate, KR HP, TA-2A3, PSVane Acme, RCA spring top

Preference combinations in no particular order
Pearl Reflector, GEC, RCA mono plate
Pearl Reflector, KR RK Anniversary, KR HP

6bk7b Sylvania, Elrog, TA-2A3

Too many variables for me to make sweeping statements on what is best for you and your use case. Best, in general, is highly subjective and what might gel for me in one session might not the next.

Apr 14, 2024 at 6:16 PM Post #674 of 683
In what sense stingy? Did you have issues processing returns within the 1 year of warranty?
Yes. The attitude I received was one of suspicion that their tubes could possibly not be perfect. They heavily implied that I must have done something to damage the tubes--this is after they sent me the first replacement with the comment that the tubes were below 50% emission. I don't believe they allow their vendors to process returns anymore; you need to ship to Japan and they will inspect the tubes. If they decide there is nothing wrong with them, you will need to eat shipping costs both ways. It was honestly more trouble than it was worth given the premium they ask.

I decided to live with the hum and found some success mitigating it using tube dampers, but the hum is still there in a way that it is not with all my other tubes, with the exception of my RCA single plates.

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #675 of 683
For 2A3s, I landed on RCA black plates. I know a lot of people swear by new production Takatsukis, but given the price difference I really don't see how the Taks could be meaningfully better than NOS RCAs given the price difference.
I googled for RCA 2A3 black plates, but I don't see an obvious safe place to get them from. Do you have a go-to for those?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back