DIY Wood for Grado/Alessandro's
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mcgsxr

100+ Head-Fier
I am in the process of getting down to modding a set.  I own MS1i's, and have Grado sr60i's incoming.  I want to go to work on the Grado's first.

I would like to diy up a set of woodies - I have seen the giant threads about the results, but have not seen anything documenting how, or what to watch out for.

I live near this place, so I have ample access to lots of exotic wood - http://www.exotic-woods.com/index.html - was in their warehouse today, plenty of cocobolo, claro walnut, ebony etc.

I own a drill press, and can buy a 2 inch and 2.5 inch hole saw for it.

Thoughts, experiences when working thicker solid wood?

I figure 2 inch deep, 3 inch wide planks are the ticket to some cool, deep woodies.

Feb 8, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 5
I'd suggest you start here --> http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/508459/sr60-mod

I know it is a long thread, but Bill (the original poster) has included photos, measurements, as well as links to You Tube videos of the process. 87 pages, but most of it is worth the read if you are serious about modding your Grados.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3 of 5
I have been through it before, and I will review it again (30 pages done tonight).

I am specifically looking for feedback from folks that built their own woodies.

Do you use a bimetal hole saw?

Did you have issues with tear out?

What wood did you think was best?

What is the deepest that one can cut through with one pass  (ie without having to flip them over, though the center hole will assist in alignment if you need to)?

Thanks!

Feb 9, 2011 at 10:50 AM Post #4 of 5
I picked up a 1.75 inch thick piece of bubinga this AM, looking forward to cutting into it, once the Grado's get here, should be fun.

Feb 9, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 5
I am jealous, I would love to have access to any of those woods. They have everything and for good prices.

So far I can share experiences using oak (hard) and South American mahogany (harder). I was using a fairly high powered drill press for my woods. Not a lot of problems with tear outs (although other woods like Walnut apparently are more prone to issues like this). I used simple Craftsman hole saws (only 1" deep which caused problems). I would recomend using as deep a saw as possible. Using a 1" deep saw required me to flip boards, and no matter how perfect my alingnment, there were always issues with the discontinuous area.

Besides that, you seem to have a good grasp on the process. Go as slowly as possible to avoid too much burning (especially on the harder wood, which will kill the hole saws). Invest in a lot of sandpaper. As I have gone on finishing more and more of these cups, I have realized how important the finishing process is. Using 4-5 grades of sandpaper, wiping with denatured alcohol in between has yielded the best results. As has using a simple spray lacquer, a finish I prefered to several types of stain and Linseed oil, at least for the fairly hard Mahogany I have been working with.

Bill is the master with Cocobolo and the other exotics though, at least with a drill press. Several others work the exotics with a lathe which is a different beast. I really wish I could drive to that place and buy those woods though. I haven't been able to find any affordable exotics in NJ. All the lumber mills around here have gone out of business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back