DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #181 of 464
I doubt people will take money for reviewing a DIY project that looks promising, and the views could generate enough alone for it to be an incentive for them. I could be wrong though.

Nov 3, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #183 of 464
Send samples for review to Tyll, from Inner Fidelity. And to Zeos, from Z reviews (YouTube).

Considering this is one of, if not the most exciting DIY project (to be made commercial) ever; going straight near the top of the foodchain is a good idea.

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #184 of 464
My personal advice is send them to Tyll.
Z reviews kept an Eikon for mmm like one entire year, avoid like the plague (he also doesn't know a schiit about audio).
Try to achieve clean CSD (no ortho wall), neutral frequency response and low distortion, and subjectively natural sound quality, put a realistic price and it will sell very well.
The problem with planars is that, every model has FR anomalies like dips or treble spikes and strong ringing in the 4-5khz region, the only planar headphone that doesn't exhibit that behavior is the Audio Zenith PMx2, which is a super modded Oppo PM-2 that sells for 1.8k.

Good products shill themselves, I would try to avoid "paid" Head-fi reviews and Zeos, just send them to Tyll :)

That's my opinion, good luck with your project :)

Nov 3, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #185 of 464
Just stumbled across this thread, it's been an interesting read. Hope these end up in the right hands for a review. Who knows, maybe one day a lot of us Head-Fiers will be rocking these.

Love the finish on them too.

Nov 3, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #187 of 464
Well this guy went alu: http://myst.pro/en/page/izophones60

But he only provides 1y warranty, they cost a grand IIRC and the usual problem with those niche orthos is that they are fragile, replacing the drivers after warranty ran out costs a bundle and every few months they'll come up with newer revs that kill resale value. No matter how good they'd sound, these are major buzz killers.

Nov 4, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #189 of 464
My personal advice is send them to Tyll.
Z reviews kept an Eikon for mmm like one entire year, avoid like the plague (he also doesn't know a schiit about audio).
Try to achieve clean CSD (no ortho wall), neutral frequency response and low distortion, and subjectively natural sound quality, put a realistic price and it will sell very well.
The problem with planars is that, every model has FR anomalies like dips or treble spikes and strong ringing in the 4-5khz region, the only planar headphone that doesn't exhibit that behavior is the Audio Zenith PMx2, which is a super modded Oppo PM-2 that sells for 1.8k.

Good products shill themselves, I would try to avoid "paid" Head-fi reviews and Zeos, just send them to Tyll :)

That's my opinion, good luck with your project :)
I concur with this, Tyll recently posted how he reviews headphones in a video which is quite nice.
On the other hand, Z reviews always makes me cringe, he's been doing lo-fi gear for a long time, the type that says cables make no difference without trying then a year later custom cables everything.
He also seems like the type that listens to a headphone for a few secs on his mediocre gear and comes to a conclusion which he rants about for 20 mins incoherently.
Therefore it's no surprise his reviews don't really match what pages and pages of headfi have said, his "wall of fame" seems to be very personal.

Nov 9, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #191 of 464
Zeos had a fanbase which thinned out pretty quick as they started calling his bluff. Actually, folks nowadays prefer to watch videos rather than read a review, that was his claim to fame but now we have more sensible people making good audio reviews on YT.

Let's not derail this thread, keeping an eye on this project. I get pretty excited whenever I see a new post in here. If I can find out a way to make the membrane will try it out.

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #192 of 464
Hooray! Finally today I've assembled a complete unit. Will try to contact top reviewers. Maybe they will be interested in reviewing.
P1013780.jpg P1013781.jpg
P1013782.jpg

Nov 17, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #195 of 464
What are the L & V for ? How much does it weight ?

L - left, on the other cup is R.
V is Verum, same as on grill.
From Latin Verum is truth. When I gave this name to headphones I meant not only truthful sound but also that I have no secrets and will answer any question about any detail of headphones construction.
Weight - 520 grams without cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back