DIY Planar magnetic heapdhones in details

1. Garuspik
    Thanks. Yesterday I've assembled first headphones. I'll show you pictures of the finished unit soon. And now I'm assembling second one in another colour.
    P1013771.jpg P1013772.jpg

I need several opinions - do you like it more or less in comparison with "wood"?
    And another variant:
    A3kON6MM35s.jpg tcRKV1nxMz8.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  2. cskippy
    The "wood" finish is of a much higher quality compared to the carbon fiber vinyl. Carbon fiber and gold does look good but the "stitches" are too large and not in a straight line which ruins the look.

3. xantiema
    Carbon fiber vinyl in general looks blatantly cheap and amateur-ish, not to take away from your design. I don't think it fits with high-end phones =)

4. Garuspik
    What about such variant? But with better 'black of course'
    8SAlAbctqNM.jpg r-oXkXLALp8.jpg

I do prefer wood finish also. But looked at that and thought - why not?
    ETHER-C-10_edited-1.jpg

5. xantiema
    I have to admit, there are no saving the bad looks of carbon fiber vinyl..
    I think companies have been overusing it on cheap products for years, and the connotations with the design has been becoming negative. Also the looks to me, just doesn't do any headphones justice.

Simplistic design with hydro-painting could be worthwhile looking into perhaps. Each phone would come out different, and they would probably need a protective layer ontop.

6. Garuspik
    Thanks. That's what I wanted to hear :wink: I'm still experimenting with look of headphones.
    Sure hydropainting is protected by 2 layers of lacquer.

7. GREQ
    Also carbon fibre + wood is like combining antique furniture with a high-end sports car... ech... :D

Carbon fibre only works if it's real, and goes well with brushed aluminium and vinyl (or extremely fine grain leather) headbands or high quality glossy plastics or glossy paint finishes... and possibly anodized metals.
    Wood goes best with stainless steel and thick, wrinkly leather and can go well with good metal imitation plastics... but that's a huge gamble.... (all the plastics on the higher end Grados headbands look terrible)

But that's just my opinion.

8. xantiema
    Leather just looks super high-end, but not sure if that in any way would be possible to integrate in the given area

9. GREQ
    Oh yeah... leather wouldn't work there, I was speaking more in general including headbands and how heavy the headband's leather grain should look best with certain materials...
    Unless you include the Audio Technica ATH-L3000... those have leather coated cups. XD

10. mandrake50
    I like the wood the best so far. Some like the bright colors, especially in EMs, but I am not fond of it for any higher grade products. Depending on pricing, there may be a market for it, but it may well turn off people looking for quality first and stunning onlookers second.

11. xantiema
    So far I also like wood the best, and I kind of dig the brass color for the grills aswell, but it has room for improvement

12. leeperry
    At the end of the day what matters most is the sound and I don't think you can beat aluminium when it comes to low weight & stray resonances/vibrations singing along. You can anodize it in black too.

13. Garuspik
    Density of aluminium is about 3, plastic 1-1.2, wood 0.7-1.1
    And yes, everything is made for sound. But don't know how to demonstrate my achievements to people worldwide?

14. xantiema
    Pick the most reputable head-fi reviewers and take it from there. That should give you traction if they are successful

15. Garuspik
    I thought that you need to pay them for review....

ToroFiestaSol likes this.