DIY Earbuds
Feb 3, 2021 at 4:37 PM Post #3,001 of 4,714
So the 15.4mm 130ohm Bery driver is well regarded on here, but can it shine without an external amp? I want to gift some high quality buds to my dad and he only has an iPhone 10 and apple dongle. I planned on sending him a pair made with a 32 ohm red dot driver but I'm not satisfied with its sound, not yet at least.

Feb 3, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #3,002 of 4,714
So the 15.4mm 130ohm Bery driver is well regarded on here, but can it shine without an external amp? I want to gift some high quality buds to my dad and he only has an iPhone 10 and apple dongle. I planned on sending him a pair made with a 32 ohm red dot driver but I'm not satisfied with its sound, not yet at least.
Nope. 130ohm or any above 64ohm drivers will shine only with audio devices like DAP's, DAC/AMP (portable or desktop)
LG (QuadDAC chip) "V" and some "G" series of smartphones can be the option

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:31 PM Post #3,003 of 4,714
Hello,
I have an Auglamour RX-1, I am looking for Your suggestions how to tune it.
This is a zinc alloy earbud. Two vents (2x2 small drills) are on the bottom around 5 and 7'o clock position.
I have opened it because one vent seemed to be blocked on one side, and found the cable insulation broken too.
I will either recable it or cut the cable sorter for quick repair.

As You can see the front is badly covered with glue, and the driver air holes are covered with a sticky, horseshoe shaped foil, which looks like silicon to me.
It definitely needs a cleanup.

I think this is a good earbud for further tuning, spacious shell, which I find attractive and comfortable.
The front pops back fairly well to the shell, allowing changes without glue.
What is your impression? What can I try? (I have no measuring equipment but my ears).
Do you have spare black horseshoe filters?
  • If you do, then you can remove existing one and clean all excessive glue from driver and shell. Add new filter (black foam) and try like that. Also, this white cotton filter is good option.
  • If you don't, then punch two small holes with a needle (one on each side) on that existing thin filter. Don't remove the black filters on the shell. You can only punch one hole there.
  • You can also try to fill the inner cavity of the shell with a cotton, wool or mop fibers (1/3 of the inner volume)

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #3,004 of 4,714
Why you didnt like the red dot driver sound?

Feb 3, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #3,005 of 4,714
Nope. 130ohm or any above 64ohm drivers will shine only with audio devices like DAP's, DAC/AMP (portable or desktop)
LG (QuadDAC chip) "V" and some "G" series of smartphones can be the option

Dang it. NSC store states the 130 ohm is playable straight from a phone... It seemed too good to be true but I had to ask lol. I guess I'll have to play around with the 32 ohm red dot more.

Could you recommend a tuning setup to improve sound quality with the red dots? Seems like mids are the biggest issue I've been having with them. I've got thin black horseshoe foams on one pair and thick black foams on another, both have recessed mids. Not sure if I should switch the foam it to the shell and/or try something else. Decrease cavity size too?

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:40 PM Post #3,007 of 4,714
i remember edifier h180 was one of the hardest to open the driver. have you tried them?

edifier h180 modded with hybrid cable
92114D3B-2F22-4242-82D8-6CC3722F6822.jpeg

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:17 AM Post #3,008 of 4,714
Dang it. NSC store states the 130 ohm is playable straight from a phone... It seemed too good to be true but I had to ask lol. I guess I'll have to play around with the 32 ohm red dot more.

Could you recommend a tuning setup to improve sound quality with the red dots? Seems like mids are the biggest issue I've been having with them. I've got thin black horseshoe foams on one pair and thick black foams on another, both have recessed mids. Not sure if I should switch the foam it to the shell and/or try something else. Decrease cavity size too?
Yup. You can drive it with your phone but don't expect miracle. To create ideal conditions for this driver you need DAC/AMP device.
If the seller tells you something like this, then there is a 50/50 chance that some will give up and it does not pay off for them.
I don't have red dot. On this thread you have many suggestions and mods for tuning any bud driver

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #3,009 of 4,714
Yeah, the 130ohm can be driven with a phone, but it depends on what phone
Any og the LG v series then you are set, also HTC flagships and Sony flagships, some older iPhones had enough power

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:03 AM Post #3,010 of 4,714
If you don't have the power, the 33 ohm 19-21 pink dot is good, the blue dot 64ohm is also great
Also the n52 drivers are pretty good

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #3,011 of 4,714
Yeah, the 130ohm can be driven with a phone, but it depends on what phone
Any og the LG v series then you are set, also HTC flagships and Sony flagships, some older iPhones had enough power
I drive 400ohm graphene on LG G7 but with desktop DAC is another story

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:16 AM Post #3,012 of 4,714
Folks, any 14.2mm/14.8mm drivers that are worthy? I have tried to mod Smabat M1 and broke one of the drivers. Not biggie since I hated how they sounded out of the box.
Looking for something with "weight", the M1 sounded too thin and bright to me. Yincrow X6/RW9, Tmusic EP03 are my favs at the moment.

Thanks.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #3,013 of 4,714
Folks, any 14.2mm/14.8mm drivers that are worthy? I have tried to mod Smabat M1 and broke one of the drivers. Not biggie since I hated how they sounded out of the box.
Looking for something with "weight", the M1 sounded too thin and bright to me. Yincrow X6/RW9, Tmusic EP03 are my favs at the moment.

Thanks.
If you can't buy from Taobao then you can look for the Nokia HDD-1 buds on Amazon. This model use PK1 150ohm "red film" driver which is the one of best DIY 14.8mm driver

32om version of the same driver can be found on Ali but we don't know is it good or not

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #3,014 of 4,714

Thanks.

I'd recommend trying the 14.8mm 40Ω Titanium driver.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:55 AM Post #3,015 of 4,714

Users who are viewing this thread

Back