DIY Earbuds
Feb 4, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #3,016 of 4,723
Folks, any 14.2mm/14.8mm drivers that are worthy? I have tried to mod Smabat M1 and broke one of the drivers. Not biggie since I hated how they sounded out of the box.
Looking for something with "weight", the M1 sounded too thin and bright to me. Yincrow X6/RW9, Tmusic EP03 are my favs at the moment.

Thanks.
VE monk light 120ohm spc, 20 dollars
I carefully replaced the cap with the more traditional 14.8mm shell cap, a little retuning and I am fairly impressed with it, sound a lot like the 120ohm Bery with treble

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #3,018 of 4,723
Have You seen these before:
14.3mm speaker unit Wool fever unit
Screenshot_2021-02-04 US $21 37 5% OFF 14 2mm Speaker Unit HIFI Wool paper cone 10pcs Earphone...png

Not much specs, but comments say it is the Airpod driver, and around 38 Ohm.
Ifixit proves this is actually the newer cabled Airpod driver.
Size would match with the Auglamour RX-1 driver, and these wool drivers remind me of the Denon/Fostex microfiber diaphragm.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:59 AM Post #3,019 of 4,723
Screenshot_2021-02-04 US $21 37 5% OFF 14 2mm Speaker Unit HIFI Wool paper cone 10pcs Earphone...png
Size would match with the Auglamour RX-1 driver, and these wool drivers remind me of the Denon/Fostex microfiber diaphragm.
This bio-cellulose driver is made probably by Foster Electric Company (not Fostex)
This model also uses Foster driver, but I don't know which material they use for diaphragm.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #3,020 of 4,723

That driver was in both my Sabbat X12 Pro and Sabbat X12 Ultra.

IMG_20200626_143701.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 5:43 PM Post #3,022 of 4,723
is there any chance that someone might have a picture of a ve zen 1 driver? or of a seahf 300 driver?

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:36 PM Post #3,023 of 4,723
Dang it. NSC store states the 130 ohm is playable straight from a phone... It seemed too good to be true but I had to ask lol. I guess I'll have to play around with the 32 ohm red dot more.

Could you recommend a tuning setup to improve sound quality with the red dots? Seems like mids are the biggest issue I've been having with them. I've got thin black horseshoe foams on one pair and thick black foams on another, both have recessed mids. Not sure if I should switch the foam it to the shell and/or try something else. Decrease cavity size too?
Did you put the foam on the speaker and not the shell vents directly? Then definitely try to switch that around, so bare speakers and thin foam on vents, check the seal so it's not leaking. This should sound fairly balanced, slightly bright u-shaped profile if you use standard black mx500 shell. The cover shouldn't be loose on the shell, find a pair that fits well or use a bit glue.
You can try to balance it further by drilling a small hole on the shell and maybe covering it with thin paper and/or partially covering the speaker vents with white thin horseshoe. Btw mx500 shell usually has somewhat recessed mids, it's a characteristic of the shell this is why many midcentric speakers sound okay with them. Maybe you can experiment with other shells as well that has different sound profle

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #3,024 of 4,723
Dang it. NSC store states the 130 ohm is playable straight from a phone... It seemed too good to be true but I had to ask lol. I guess I'll have to play around with the 32 ohm red dot more.

Could you recommend a tuning setup to improve sound quality with the red dots? Seems like mids are the biggest issue I've been having with them. I've got thin black horseshoe foams on one pair and thick black foams on another, both have recessed mids. Not sure if I should switch the foam it to the shell and/or try something else. Decrease cavity size too?
You could try giving your dad recabled Vidos. My grandparents love them. Drives well with phones.

There's also the 15.4mm 32ohms N52 Drivers that has a blue epoxy, the specs states that they're very driveable.

If you're still bent on the 19-21 path, try the titanium versions of them (though they're the hardest to mangle up and prone on messing up the drivers so there's that), I'd suggest the Pink Dot since the 64ohm one is DEFINITELY not in your preferred signature.
There's also the 32ohm normal green dot 19-21 which is more leaner and bright than the red dot.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:51 AM Post #3,026 of 4,723
My dear DIY gurus,

Where to go after the 130 and 600 ohm bery DIY drivers? I liked the 600 one but the 130 is a better deal.

I've skipped 150, 300, and 400 versions because I own branded equivalents.

Feb 5, 2021 at 10:57 AM Post #3,027 of 4,723
VE monk light 120ohm spc, 20 dollars
I carefully replaced the cap with the more traditional 14.8mm shell cap, a little retuning and I am fairly impressed with it, sound a lot like the 120ohm Bery with treble

Was it difficult to open their shells?

Feb 5, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #3,028 of 4,723
Was it difficult to open their shells?
No it wasn't, but it's always pretty unnerving when you replace the face of it,
But it sounds a lot better then the 120ohm.

Although the best are my 130ohm and 400ohm, I have made a couple variations with those 2 and both are hands down the best in my collection
1. 400ohm (all around/slightly laid back/great sub bass dark)

2. 130ohm(best detail retriever, great sub bass, bright)
3. 500ohm(very good sub bass, bass mids and highs, fairly neutral)
4. 64ohm composite (sub bass monsters, definitely bass head approved, dark fun)
5. 200 ohm salvaged from to200 (good bass, sub bass, very balanced nice highs, bright)
6. 68ohm (mid centric, decent highs, really good vocals, dry bass, bright)
7. The whole 19-21 series is really great, cheap, fun v shaped sound, bright and bassy)

I never could get a great tuning out of the 600, it was great from the sellers, straight in the mx500 shells, but any of my other builds leave it in the dust.
The 300ohm aren't very special.
The 120ohm 14.8mm is just too dark

120ohm monk light is fairly surprising, I tuned it a bit dark, but it sounds surprisingly spacious, but the timber is a bit funny on it.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #3,029 of 4,723

Users who are viewing this thread

Back