DIY Earbuds
Dec 9, 2020 at 3:37 AM Post #2,581 of 4,714
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I replied here.
Man, kinda sucks that I broke three drivers in the past three months of modding... Well that won't stop me LOL

BTW, I found a really interesting driver: It's a 44ohm 15.4mm driver. Probably the same drivers as the OP 139 perhaps? Indonesia has alot of good oddball drivers and thank god they're selling here now.
Screenshot_20201207_024117_com.shopee.ph.jpg

Also, I'm planning to continue the DP100 shell build I broke by buying the same drivers @furyossa had with the Shooth but it's a bit different that it has black epoxy in the coil connection and an MX500 faceplate, really curious but I'm gonna try it. I was supposed to use the Jcally EP01 driver but it broke, and the sound wasn't up to my liking anyway...
They're supposedly called "MX360 Sennheiser Classical drivers", quotation marks* being that I don't believe shopee listings sometimes lol
Screenshot_20201209_163458_com.shopee.ph.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:36 AM Post #2,582 of 4,714
Hey guys, it's been a long time since I replied here.
Man, kinda sucks that I broke three drivers in the past three months of modding... Well that won't stop me LOL

BTW, I found a really interesting driver: It's a 44ohm 15.4mm driver. Probably the same drivers as the OP 139 perhaps? Indonesia has alot of good oddball drivers and thank god they're selling here now.
Screenshot_20201207_024117_com.shopee.ph.jpg
Also, I'm planning to continue the DP100 shell build I broke by buying the same drivers @furyossa had with the Shooth but it's a bit different that it has black epoxy in the coil connection and an MX500 faceplate, really curious but I'm gonna try it. I was supposed to use the Jcally EP01 driver but it broke, and the sound wasn't up to my liking anyway...
They're supposedly called "MX360 Sennheiser Classical drivers", quotation marks* being that I don't believe shopee listings sometimes lol
Screenshot_20201209_163458_com.shopee.ph.jpg

That's the spirit. Never give up. :muscle: :beerchug:
I haven't noticed the first driver so far. 2nd driver looks like ShoonTH but is not.
The other day @robar posted this link, and here is another offer for 5 pairs. I can't find any specifications for these drivers on Ali.
It seems to me that Sennheiser made two types of drivers, one for MX360 and the others for MX760, and there is a good chance that ShoonTH took the same driver parts from MX760 and build you own model. This is their description from the Penon store:
Description
This earphone adds a resistor to share some of the power and reduce the tooth tone of the silver-plated cable to make up the low-frequency feel of the silver-plated cable. We have tested various resistors about 60-200Ξ©, and we found 120Ξ© 1% is the best. We also tested the resistance and metal film resistance, and the metal film resistance is more rounded and full.
Handmade

We select 350 pairs from 1000 pairs of units, 350 pairs from 3000 resistors and the test unit should be on the electronic ear. As a wire tuner, every earphone must pass our audition twice to be a good product. The good sound comes from pure hand-made, creating exclusive HIFI equipment for you.

ShoonTH ESEP-01BL spec is: Sensitivity: 110dB/mW ; Impedance: 32Ξ© ; Freq. range: 10hz-22KHz ; Price: $26.90 ; Cable: very very cheap
ShoonTH ESEP-01BLE spec is: Sensitivity: 109dB/mW ; Impedance: 150Ξ© ; Freq. range: 8Hz-25KHz ; Price: $119 ; Cable: FURUKAWA
ShoonTH ESEP-01BU spec is: Sensitivity: 109dB/mW ; Impedance: 150Ξ© ; Freq. range: 10HZ-30KHZ ; Price: $219 ; Cable: FURUKAWA-OCC

Maybe the cheaper model has the same driver as on the Ali, but these 150ohm's are custom made. Its certainly a mystery:spy:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #2,583 of 4,714
That's the spirit. Never give up. :muscle: :beerchug:
I haven't noticed the first driver so far. 2nd driver looks like ShoonTH but is not.
The other day @robar posted this link, and here is another offer for 5 pairs. I can't find any specifications for these drivers on Ali.
It seems to me that Sennheiser made two types of drivers, one for MX360 and the others for MX760, and there is a good chance that ShoonTH took the same driver parts from MX760 and build you own model. This is their description from the Penon store:
Description
This earphone adds a resistor to share some of the power and reduce the tooth tone of the silver-plated cable to make up the low-frequency feel of the silver-plated cable. We have tested various resistors about 60-200Ξ©, and we found 120Ξ© 1% is the best. We also tested the resistance and metal film resistance, and the metal film resistance is more rounded and full.
Handmade

We select 350 pairs from 1000 pairs of units, 350 pairs from 3000 resistors and the test unit should be on the electronic ear. As a wire tuner, every earphone must pass our audition twice to be a good product. The good sound comes from pure hand-made, creating exclusive HIFI equipment for you.

ShoonTH ESEP-01BL spec is: Sensitivity: 110dB/mW ; Impedance: 32Ξ© ; Freq. range: 10hz-22KHz ; Price: $26.90 ; Cable: very very cheap
ShoonTH ESEP-01BLE spec is: Sensitivity: 109dB/mW ; Impedance: 150Ξ© ; Freq. range: 8Hz-25KHz ; Price: $119 ; Cable: FURUKAWA
ShoonTH ESEP-01BU spec is: Sensitivity: 109dB/mW ; Impedance: 150Ξ© ; Freq. range: 10HZ-30KHZ ; Price: $219 ; Cable: FURUKAWA-OCC

Maybe the cheaper model has the same driver as on the Ali, but these 150ohm's are custom made. Its certainly a mystery:spy:
Dude, they are not custom made... IS the same driver with a 120ohm metal resistor

Dec 9, 2020 at 6:06 AM Post #2,584 of 4,714
Dude, they are not custom made... IS the same driver with a 120ohm metal resistor
Maybe I used the wrong word but adding that resistor or anything else that would change the specification itself, certainly makes it different from the original

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #2,586 of 4,714
They probably applied those modding techniques used on big speakers.
A multi-winding voice coil is usually used in the case of a higher impedance, but here it is achieved by using a resistor
This is funny. Take a look first driver on this video :)

And the mystery has been revealed:beerchug:

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #2,588 of 4,714
Now the only question is how to change the frequency response. Maybe with better plug and cable?

Dec 9, 2020 at 11:26 AM Post #2,589 of 4,714
Just wanted to say, I have been playing with my wifes 130ohm "8 pack" (birthday present for the better half) ,and I have reached a point using mx500 shells from my seahf 400ohm (recabled and rebodied) here are a few pics
I drilled two 0.5mm holes,
IMG_20201209_181309.jpg
First hole drilled from inside to open the bass vent

The second hole was straight through the back

IMG_20201209_180552.jpg
Then I tried different paper and foam tuning peices cut to fit over the holes

IMG_20201209_180701.jpg

In the end, they ended up with slightly less but more linear sounding sub bass and slightly more upper highs compared to my samsara.
It's fairly impressive, the detail retrieval of these is just amazing
I would have to say these might have taken my number 1 place for now......

Using a y5 cotton paper and 7/1mm foam on the shell and a 10/1mm peice of foam inside the shell

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:38 PM Post #2,590 of 4,714
Look for nsc audio store, they should have a few good deals, I ordered from there, I ordered my 130 bery from there, with a y5 paper tuning cotton and a black foam on the shell and a 0.5 mm whole in the center of the back of the mx500 shell, you should get great sound. Jietu store has a good price for the 130ohm decidula beryllium driver
Thanks for the tips πŸ’―πŸ˜€

Dec 9, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #2,591 of 4,714
Just wanted to say, queyinfang store has a new thick cable, it's thick but very soft and super limp, I bought it for another project, but my samsara's cable had broken so I decided to use it on them, took a little dish soap to get them in the shell but they look good.

They don't feel heavy, even though the cable looks as it should be uncomfortable, it's actually very comfortable
And you can get 5 meters for 15 bucks
Could you please explain how to solder the silver plated wire on the earbuds driver
I tried but no luck
The sound seems to be very weak
πŸ™

Dec 9, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,592 of 4,714
Could you please explain how to solder the silver plated wire on the earbuds driver
I tried but no luck
The sound seems to be very weak
πŸ™
Flux the cable, clean your soldering tip with a cellulose sponge, I use a cheap 5 doller soldering iron with thermostat set to 400Β°c. Then I put solder on it, touch the tip to the cable for a second until solder is obsorbed. Then add more solder to the tip, press your cable against the speakers contacts, touch with the molten solder for half a second (try to make sure you work as fast as possible, longer then a couple of seconds can damage alot) then breath.....

Not sure it makes a difference but I use solder with 3.7% silver

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #2,593 of 4,714
Just wanted to say, I have been playing with my wifes 130ohm "8 pack" (birthday present for the better half) ,and I have reached a point using mx500 shells from my seahf 400ohm (recabled and rebodied) here are a few pics
I drilled two 0.5mm holes,
IMG_20201209_181309.jpg
First hole drilled from inside to open the bass vent

The second hole was straight through the back

IMG_20201209_180552.jpg
Then I tried different paper and foam tuning peices cut to fit over the holes

IMG_20201209_180701.jpg

In the end, they ended up with slightly less but more linear sounding sub bass and slightly more upper highs compared to my samsara.
It's fairly impressive, the detail retrieval of these is just amazing
I would have to say these might have taken my number 1 place for now......

Using a y5 cotton paper and 7/1mm foam on the shell and a 10/1mm peice of foam inside the shell
You are such a romantic, great birthday present:thumbsup:. Also, the overall look (cable color and transparent shell combo) is beautiful.
It would be great to have multicolored filter-foams, you can always improvise but it's great like this also.
It's important to see the abs (8-packs) through a transparent shell:beerchug:
Did you finish the renovation?

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Post #2,594 of 4,714
You are such a romantic, great birthday present:thumbsup:. Also, the overall look (cable color and transparent shell combo) is beautiful.
It would be great to have multicolored filter-foams, you can always improvise but it's great like this also.
It's important to see the abs (8-packs) through a transparent shell:beerchug:
Did you finish the renovation?
No, I think it will drag out for ever (renovation) our income isn't as Good as it was before the covid.

But I am thinking of cheating a bit and ordering those 68ohm drivers.......

Here is a picture of the finished buds IMG_20201209_215227.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2020 at 3:11 PM Post #2,595 of 4,714
No, I think it will drag out for ever (renovation) our income isn't as Good as it was before the covid.

But I am thinking of cheating a bit and ordering those 68ohm drivers.......

Here is a picture of the finished buds
I don't think it will hurt the budget that is intended for renovation, only if you don't plan to buy something else related to audio gear:wink:
Matchy-matchy! It looks amazing. I hope your "better half" will be thrilled.
You've outdone yourself, man. Just look at that Y-splitter. One of this will match all colors :wink:
eartips.jpg

BTW...Don't say a word to her about 68ohm graphene:joy:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back