• Screenshot_20201206_184200.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206_184200.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20201206_184126.jpg
    Screenshot_20201206_184126.jpg
    870.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 6, 2020 at 8:47 AM Post #2,553 of 4,723
I'm interested in these two drivers
68ohm graphene is a relatively new driver so you would probably be the first person to try it.
The price is a bit higher but from my experience, I never had a problem with the graphene driver, either a branded model or DIY is in question.
And yes, graphene-coated drivers mostly have a balanced sound, which I wouldn't say for Titanium-coated.

Dec 6, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,554 of 4,723
68ohm graphene is a relatively new driver so you would probably be the first person to try it.
The price is a bit higher but from my experience, I never had a problem with the graphene driver, either a branded model or DIY is in question.
And yes, graphene-coated drivers mostly have a balanced sound, which I wouldn't say for Titanium-coated.

Thanks!
After they arrive I will ask more advice on how to apply the foam 🙏

Dec 6, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #2,555 of 4,723
Hello good people
I am beginner
So I want to build my first earbuds prefer MX500
I would like your suggestions
About which drivers to use?
And how to apply foam
I prefer
.spacious and balanced sound
Thanks in advance
If you choose to go with a graphene driver then you can try first something simple. BTW... this driver probably comes with a pair of MX500 shells and two black foam filters.
This is a nice example by @robar of how to place properly the black foam
The driver itself has a white filter on the back. The only thing left is to solder the cables and close the shell (without the glue of course) :wink:
I will suggest for this driver a minimum of 40h burn-in.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #2,556 of 4,723
Thanks!
After they arrive I will ask more advice on how to apply the foam 🙏
You can simply put the horseshoe on the vents of the shell for a first try. If you find the sound to be too flat or bright then you can experiment with cutting up the foam into smaller pieces that only cover the holes, you can even leave a hole open if you want more bass. Because the driver already has a white foam on it, it's quite possible that you will need this partial solution. I suggest to buy a pack of tuning foams (easiest way is to buy a set of 5 mx500 shells for like 2-3usd, they come with appropriate foams) I look forward to your impressions of the 68ohm :) If you have a bit spare money, try out the 19-21 heavy bass as well, it costs like 3.75usd or so :wink:

Btw @furyossa About the tuning you linked from me, I decided to remove that inner square between the two strips, it decreased the low bass for me without any improvement in other frequencies. :)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #2,557 of 4,723
If you have a bit spare money, try out the 19-21 heavy bass as well, it costs like 3.75usd or so
I will go with 5 five pairs just in case :beerchug: :wink:
I'm not kidding. A similar example for the price. Take a look at this, how can it cost so little?
Btw @furyossa About the tuning you linked from me, I decided to remove that inner square between the two strips, it decreased the low bass for me without any improvement in other frequencies
I forgot to mention that I was just thinking about covering the side ports only

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #2,558 of 4,723
I will go with 5 five pairs just in case :beerchug: :wink:
I'm not kidding. A similar example for the price. Take a look at this, how can it cost so little?

I forgot to mention that I was just thinking about covering the side ports only
There are gems everywhere :) Like my Dac Audio ES9018K2M, it's said to be almost as good as AQ Dragonfly Red, and it's only 20usd. No comment lol
We can at least compensate the wasted money on other useless parts and bad purchases haha

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #2,559 of 4,723
There are gems everywhere :) Like my Dac Audio ES9018K2M, it's said to be almost as good as AQ Dragonfly Red, and it's only 20usd. No comment lol
We can at least compensate the wasted money on other useless parts and bad purchases haha
That's what I'm talking about.
And then you see something like this :smile: :sweat_smile::cold_sweat:
End GAME
At least shipping is "only" US $142.07

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #2,560 of 4,723
That's what I'm talking about.
And then you see something like this :smile: :sweat_smile::cold_sweat:
End GAME
At least shipping is "only" US $142.07
The problem is: too small to be a nice decoration, for this money I would want something bigger to show off in my theoretical dubai office haha, at least a headphone or speaker. To be more serious, I have no idea why people would buy something like this lol. It's not even a good investment I guess

Then you can get this for 15usd, only the hardware itself would cost 2x if bought separately :D
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001185272588.html

I would also be interested in this 9usd bud for modding purposes if I knew for sure that it's compatible with mx500 speakers https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764256748.html

Btw anyone tried to mod the Kbear Knight? I know it doesn't sound too nice by default, but I would swap the speakers and improve the tuning like with Qian69. It gets cheaper in some stores recently like here. It would be nice if it could snap on mx500 covers without glue..

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #2,561 of 4,723
The problem is: too small to be a nice decoration, for this money I would want something bigger to show off in my theoretical dubai office haha, at least a headphone or speaker. To be more serious, I have no idea why people would buy something like this lol. It's not even a good investment I guess

Then you can get this for 15usd, only the hardware itself would cost 2x if bought separately :D
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001185272588.html

I would also be interested in this 9usd bud for modding purposes if I knew for sure that it's compatible with mx500 speakers https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764256748.html

Btw anyone tried to mod the Kbear Knight? I know it doesn't sound too nice by default, but I would swap the speakers and improve the tuning like with Qian69. It gets cheaper in some stores recently. It would be nice if it could snap on mx500 covers without glue..
And this is also ridiculous https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764517664.html
These models are really cheap and for that reason, I don't see the need to do some experiments and use different diameters for covers.
For the first few images, they use 3D renders as promo material, and below you can see real photos. They use a standard "mesh" cover for a 15.4mm driver

Dec 6, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #2,562 of 4,723
And this is also ridiculous https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764517664.html
These models are really cheap and for that reason, I don't see the need to do some experiments and use different diameters for covers.
For the first few images, they use 3D renders as promo material, and below you can see real photos. They use a standard "mesh" cover for a 15.4mm driver
There is no standard mesh sadly, I bought a couple of earbuds just because they had 15.4mm steel mesh cover and many of those were more like 15mm, very loose for real 15.4mm cover and would need a ton of glue. The N50 red rim has the best steel mesh cover from what I tried, it's compatible with everything and almost as thin as the DP100 cover. Most speakers use different kind of steel mesh that is either very loose or too tight for most diy shells

Yes I plan to try that cheap jcally, only the low quality shiny plastic puts me off for now

Btw anyone tried or ordered these drivers? The only one I could find now with the thin DP100 cover. I guess this is more like a classic midcentric type speaker, but the fit would be great with dp100 and bigger shells. There was a variant of N52 driver also with dp100 cover (which I use with mx760 shell) but it disappeared from NSC and it's only available for ridiculous prices.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898923123.html

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #2,563 of 4,723
There is no standard mesh sadly, I bought a couple of earbuds just because they had 15.4mm steel mesh cover and many of those were more like 15mm, very loose for real 15.4mm cover and would need a ton of glue. The N50 red rim has the best steel mesh cover from what I tried, it's compatible with everything and almost as thin as the DP100 cover. Most speakers use different kind of steel mesh that is either very loose or too tight for most diy shells

Yes I plan to try that cheap jcally, only the low quality shiny plastic puts me off for now

Btw anyone tried or ordered these drivers? The only one I could find now with the thin DP100 cover. I guess this is more like a classic midcentric type speaker, but the fit would be great with dp100 and bigger shells. There was a variant of N52 driver also with dp100 cover (which I use with mx760 shell) but it disappeared from NSC and it's only available for ridiculous prices.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898923123.html
Yup these covers are a bit wider than MX500.
This is also an interesting offer for mmcx connectors

Dec 6, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #2,564 of 4,723
Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 11:37 AM Post #2,565 of 4,723
If you choose to go with a graphene driver then you can try first something simple. BTW... this driver probably comes with a pair of MX500 shells and two black foam filters.
This is a nice example by @robar of how to place properly the black foam
The driver itself has a white filter on the back. The only thing left is to solder the cables and close the shell (without the glue of course) :wink:
I will suggest for this driver a minimum of 40h burn-in.
Big thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back