DIY Earbuds
Dec 6, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #2,567 of 4,722
I'll go through my covers, doing a little comparison post with photos could be a nice idea :)

Btw, this driver I linked an hour ago looks the same as you shoonth's driver :D (based on this image) I guess the internal parts are different, but the circuit and vent style is very very similar
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000898923123.html
Wait, what? You are Sherlock Holms for driver discovery. :astonished::joy:
Man, this is exactly the same driver from the back. The front cover shape is the same but these center holes are sealed.
IMG-20201206-174625.jpg

They didn't post any spec for this driver. Are you tried maybe MX7660 shell. I assume that is most similar to DP100
This is the spec for ShoonTH
  • Sensitivity: 110dB/mW
  • Impedance: 32Ξ©
  • Frequency response range: 10hz-22KHz
BTW...sad news. The left driver starts to lose volume. It's a bit quieter.
I don't know, maybe soldering is not good. I opened them a few times for tuning so maybe wire broke.
I hope that is not voice coil wire

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #2,568 of 4,722
Wait, what? You are Sherlock Holms for driver discovery. :astonished::joy:
Man, this is exactly the same driver from the back. The front cover shape is the same but these center holes are sealed.
IMG-20201206-174625.jpg

They didn't post any spec for this driver. Are you tried maybe MX7660 shell. I assume that is most similar to DP100
This is the spec for ShoonTH
  • Sensitivity: 110dB/mW
  • Impedance: 32Ξ©
  • Frequency response range: 10hz-22KHz
BTW...sad news. The left driver starts to lose volume. It's a bit quieter.
I don't know, maybe soldering is not good. I opened them a few times for tuning so maybe wire broke.
I hope that is not voice coil wire
In aliexpress the sellers often use the names mx760 and dp100 cover interchangeably, I think there was some difference in the original designs but now they all the same variation. Your cover appears to be slightly curved, I think it could be one of the original designs. The covers I have are completely flat and yes most of the inner holes are also opened. Look at this for example, I have the dp100 shells from here and the driver I bought in NSC store with the mx760 shell is also the exact same design https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000298687782.html

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2020 at 1:18 PM Post #2,569 of 4,722
I updated the image in the previous post.
ShoonTH cover is different. All inner holes are closed, and all outer opened.
Anyway...you have this driver or you plan to buy it?
Chances are it's the same driver but it may have been tuned differently by ShoonTH.
I wonder what their flagship 150ohm driver looks like. I have never seen an old-school 150ohm driver (17 back holes). You?

BTW... still in the burn-in phase :wink:
hd25-light.jpg

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #2,570 of 4,722
I updated the image in the previous post.
ShoonTH cover is different. All inner holes are closed, and all outer opened.
Anyway...you have this driver or you plan to buy it?
Chances are it's the same driver but it may have been tuned differently by ShoonTH.
I wonder what their flagship 150ohm driver looks like. I have never seen an old-school 150ohm driver (17 back holes). You?

BTW... still in the burn-in phase :wink:
hd25-light.jpg
Nice, keep me updated on your progress :wink:
No I don't have that driver, just in my wishlist. Somebody should definitely try it :D

Dec 6, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,571 of 4,722
No I don't have that driver, just in my wishlist. Somebody should definitely try it :D
I will but right now "my hands are tied". 5 or more pairs probably :joy:
Again, you and your "New Arrivals" info. :spy::scream_cat::scream:

Dec 6, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #2,572 of 4,722
No, I don't have that driver, just on my wishlist. Somebody should definitely try it :D
Funny story. I order this HD25 Light in some local audio store (price 110 euro). They offer 3 models on their website: HD25, HD25 Plus, HD25 Light. All 3 models share the same driver specs. The difference in price between these is 40-50euros. "Plus" version costs almost double because of accessories (spare cable, spare earpads, bag).
They sent me an old version of HD25Light which I think came out in 2002. What's funny is that this version doesn't exist on their site at all.
When I informed them of a mistake they had made, their justification was that the salesman didn't know about the old and new models.
First of all this store does not sell groceries but audio devices and instruments, and 2nd, the packaging is totally different.
What is interesting is that a new version is being made in Romania
The good thing is that I had the opportunity to test both models. The difference in sound very noticeable. The old version is cut at both ends.
spec.jpg

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:09 AM Post #2,573 of 4,722
The Yincrow RW-9 has too much volume and it is bleeding a bit into the mids.
So I sealed the six vents on each side behind the RW-9's MX500 shell. (sealing the top slit vent on the back is overkill) The resulted in moderately tighter bass and a best sound atmospherically close to the RW-2000.

I just put two 8mm diameter circular masking paper tape paches on each sides of the shell.
It looks bad, but I don't care about it because it is hidden by foam.

If you have a RW-9, give it a try!
11374896.jpg

Dec 7, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #2,574 of 4,722
The Yincrow RW-9 has too much volume and it is bleeding a bit into the mids.
So I sealed the six vents on each side behind the RW-9's MX500 shell. (sealing the top slit vent on the back is overkill) The resulted in moderately tighter bass and a best sound atmospherically close to the RW-2000.

I just put two 8mm diameter circular masking paper tape paches on each sides of the shell.
It looks bad, but I don't care about it because it is hidden by foam.

If you have a RW-9, give it a try!
11374896.jpg
You can try with hot glue from inside. You can remove it any time later.
Also, you can try to seal only one side, something similar was done by the creators of ShoonTH ESEP-01BL. Take a look first image from this post.

Dec 7, 2020 at 7:53 PM Post #2,576 of 4,722
Can I try with BLU-TACK from inside instead of hot glue?
Of course. Also, bubble gum can be used :wink:. You have 6 side ports (3 on each side), right?. Try to seal one side (3 ports) or all 6 and then punch a small hole on each side.
In the end, you can share the final solution

Dec 8, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,578 of 4,722
Hello
How do you guys think of this?
It is cheap for a berry
Look for nsc audio store, they should have a few good deals, I ordered from there, I ordered my 130 bery from there, with a y5 paper tuning cotton and a black foam on the shell and a 0.5 mm whole in the center of the back of the mx500 shell, you should get great sound. Jietu store has a good price for the 130ohm decidula beryllium driver

Dec 8, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,579 of 4,722
Hello
How do you guys think of this?
It is cheap for a berry

I think I'm still the only one that's used them so far. Although I think another member ordered them too recently.

First listen with only foam on vent for tuning:
Finally had a listen to those 14.8mm 120Ξ© beryllium drivers.

Impressions w/foam covers: they are overly warm and a bit too mid-centric. The highs are there but overshadowed. Bass is present but rolls off towards sub-bass (as expected).

Impressions w/o foams: warm, mid-centric but the highs are not as overshadowed. Bass is there but even lighter and will be highly fit dependant.

More info:
Did a little more fine tuning on the 14.8mm 120Ξ© beryllium drivers and with my USB-C dac they are playing in the same realm as the 150Ξ© redfilm pk1 drivers. These definitely require a bit more power & EQ to sound their best, goes from 2nd tier DIY driver to near top tier IMO.

On the BT20S they are not quite as dynamic sounding (slightly dry or less 'wet' sounding) and treble/detail/air is slightly less.

On the blue tuning (this is with no EQ applied).
If you are looking for a higher impedance 14.8mm driver and will be driving these with a good source, I would say they could be worth it.

I think I'm the only one here that currently has them, so I'm guessing it was me that said that :wink: . And it is true without tuning (just the shell and foam on vent) the bass was terribly rolled off, about -22db from 200hz. I posted a graph showing this here:
https://www.head-fi.org/goto/post?id=15846712

As far as the 150Ξ© red film drivers, they still are my top pick for 14.8mm drivers. If you can only get a pair I would personally choose them 1st. They have better sub-bass extension and sensitivity seems a bit better matched for lower powered sources compared to the 120Ξ© Be.

By that I mean the 120Ξ© sound a bit veiled/dull/muffled on my BT20S, compared to driving them with my TC35B. The 150Ξ© redfilm sound fine on the BT20S, I haven't had an extended listen yet on the TC35B so they may also scale.
I find the 120Ξ© Berylliums borderline too polite in the upper mid-range/lower treble and lacking resolution/detail unless they are provided more power than a typical cellphone output.

Dec 9, 2020 at 2:09 AM Post #2,580 of 4,722
Look for nsc audio store, they should have a few good deals, I ordered from there, I ordered my 130 bery from there, with a y5 paper tuning cotton and a black foam on the shell and a 0.5 mm whole in the center of the back of the mx500 shell, you should get great sound. Jietu store has a good price for the 130ohm decidula beryllium driver
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back