DIY Earbuds
Dec 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #2,596 of 4,723
I don't think it will hurt the budget that is intended for renovation, only if you don't plan to buy something else related to audio gear:wink:
Matchy-matchy! It looks amazing. I hope your "better half" will be thrilled.
You've outdone yourself, man. Just look at that Y-splitter. One of this will match all colors :wink:
eartips.jpg

BTW...Don't say a word to her about 68ohm graphene:joy:
Nice foams, you I need more colours, did you get them from Alliexpress?

Dec 9, 2020 at 5:14 PM Post #2,597 of 4,723
Dec 9, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #2,598 of 4,723
Flux the cable, clean your soldering tip with a cellulose sponge, I use a cheap 5 doller soldering iron with thermostat set to 400°c. Then I put solder on it, touch the tip to the cable for a second until solder is obsorbed. Then add more solder to the tip, press your cable against the speakers contacts, touch with the molten solder for half a second (try to make sure you work as fast as possible, longer then a couple of seconds can damage alot) then breath.....

Not sure it makes a difference but I use solder with 3.7% silver
Thanks
Ohhh I don't have the Flux
I gonna find it
Thanks

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #2,599 of 4,723
Thanks
Ohhh I don't have the Flux
I gonna find it
Thanks
Flux is important, helps strip the enamel from the wire (aot of headphone wires have isolated inner wire, specially litz) and helps solder to stick, I suppose without Flux it me seem impossible

Good luck, let us know how it goes

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,600 of 4,723
Has anyone tried the violet 32ohm titanium drivers with steel mesh cover? The shopee listing says that this particular version is not compatible with mx500 shells, but I'm not sure why or to what extent. i've found a pretty good listing from a new seller on aliexpress, it even has select coupon by default.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqqfC4v

Dec 10, 2020 at 2:32 PM Post #2,601 of 4,723
Has anyone tried the violet 32ohm titanium drivers with steel mesh cover? The shopee listing says that this particular version is not compatible with mx500 shells, but I'm not sure why or to what extent. i've found a pretty good listing from a new seller on aliexpress, it even has select coupon by default.
Good find. This store reminds me of JieTu Audio Store
I updated "the list of for DIY parts" post
Also, we can find this post by searching the name DIY EARBUDS PARTS LIST

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #2,602 of 4,723
Good find. This store reminds me of JieTu Audio Store
I updated "the list of for DIY parts" post
Also, we can find this post by searching the name DIY EARBUDS PARTS LIST
Yes, but shipping is lot cheaper for me and there are stuff that are not available at jietu. For example many kinds of wooden shell and some metal ones also. I'll definitely keep an eye on the new arrivals section of this seller :D
Heres another interesting listing, this is 20pcs or pairs of vintage driver in weird cover for peanuts. I'd say even if sound is not so good this could be a perfect cheap way for practicing soldering and tuning skills for beginners :D
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNju61T

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #2,603 of 4,723
We need to find out which buds use this driver :)
There aren't that many products on sale probably because it's new.
I noticed that it has really good discounts. 600ohm Bery is $38. NSC is king after all $36. And other stores sell it for $42
You are right about shipping: for me, XinYue shipping $106.56 and NSC $113.66 :) It's really cheaper :wink:
I'm really glad that new stores for DIY parts are appearing from time to time.

Dec 10, 2020 at 9:07 PM Post #2,604 of 4,723

I have one. Very easy to drive, the whole signature is lean and the bass is just right, sparkly sound signature. They might be the same with the red dot normal ones because it's basically the upgrade on those, gonna buy one this month or next year and compare em since I'm almost complete with those 19-21 driver sets. Gets even more dynamic when you pair it to a warm source, even does imaging like crazy when you do.

The problem about these drivers is the steel mesh, I broke a pair just lifting those drivers off to a normal MX500 faceplate lol, but hey, it's worth it. Cheap too

IMG_20201023_021014.jpg

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:10 AM Post #2,605 of 4,723
I have one. Very easy to drive, the whole signature is lean and the bass is just right, sparkly sound signature. They might be the same with the red dot normal ones because it's basically the upgrade on those, gonna buy one this month or next year and compare em since I'm almost complete with those 19-21 driver sets. Gets even more dynamic when you pair it to a warm source, even does imaging like crazy when you do.

The problem about these drivers is the steel mesh, I broke a pair just lifting those drivers off to a normal MX500 faceplate lol, but hey, it's worth it. Cheap too

IMG_20201023_021014.jpg
Thanks! :) So I can safely buy them for mx500, dp100 etc shells, they stay on place without glue? I'd really want something like the red 19-21 just with a thinner cover like this steel mesh. I'd also like to build some presents and this violet seems like a pretty good deal to get some spare pairs for that :)

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #2,606 of 4,723
Thanks! :) So I can safely buy them for mx500, dp100 etc shells, they stay on place without glue? I'd really want something like the red 19-21 just with a thinner cover like this steel mesh. I'd also like to build some presents and this violet seems like a pretty good deal to get some spare pairs for that :)

Ironically enough, I was actually planning to put those drivers in a DP100 shell originally (with the faceplates intact and all) and they didn't fit, which lead me to remove the faceplate completely and use my spare MX500 shell and faceplate instead (which also lead to the unfortunate breaking of my first pair, kinda sucks).

If you're gonna put em in a shell without breaking the faceplate, I think the wooden ones are the best candidate, but it takes more effort to tune em with those unfortunately.

Dec 11, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #2,607 of 4,723
Ironically enough, I was actually planning to put those drivers in a DP100 shell originally (with the faceplates intact and all) and they didn't fit, which lead me to remove the faceplate completely and use my spare MX500 shell and faceplate instead (which also lead to the unfortunate breaking of my first pair, kinda sucks).

If you're gonna put em in a shell without breaking the faceplate, I think the wooden ones are the best candidate, but it takes more effort to tune em with those unfortunately.
So it's tighter than usual? That's not a bad thing for me, actually it would be quite good news. I have some 15.4mm shells that need tighter covers, mx500 covers don't even stay in place, like wooden ones you said and some other plastic models as well. :)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #2,608 of 4,723
So it's tighter than usual? That's not a bad thing for me, actually it would be quite good news. I have some 15.4mm shells that need tighter covers, mx500 covers don't even stay in place, like wooden ones you said and some other plastic models as well. :)
Man, those out-of-spec sized shells might be a blessing in disguise for those faceplates 😅
The wooden ones definitely will fit fine as far as experience goes. I'm probably just lucky that what I bought was pretty fine QC wise (seen some oddball variation of the MX shell and faceplate that's at least 5% bigger, wouldn't call it a QC issue, just weird replicas)

Dec 13, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #2,610 of 4,723
Has anyone tried playing with theseScreenshot_20201213_150959_com.alibaba.aliexpresshd.jpg

Been curious about these but wanted to know if anyone has tried using them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back