DIY Earbuds
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:12 AM Post #2,296 of 4,705
Hi Friends, glad to see everyone still active building stuff and helping each other to get into this dangerous hobby. :ksc75smile:
I bought this 300 Ohm driver, after thinking back and forth, finally decided to pull the trigger. I put it in the usual MX500 housing, removed the foam on the driver and put a new pair of foam on the housing. Used standard twisted pair cable, which according to the seller is a silver plated cable (SPC). Ran it through approx. 24 hours (not continuous) with pink noise, random music on my playlist.

My impression on this pair: It reminds me of a full range speaker. Very intact, very good texture from midbass to lower treble, but not much extension into the deep bass or the high treble. The overall sound is not offensive, I agree with @furyossa below. However, I feel they are lacking in resolution and clarity.

Do I:
1. Let it burn in some more, considering some say SPC needs 50-100 hours to sound best.
2. Do some kind of tuning, for example the cotton tuning on drivers holes, or any suggestion please feel free to share.
3. Change the cable to a good copper cable? I don't like the current SPC since it holds its shape too much, it gets tangly and overall not really nice.

Hehehe thanks a lot guys.
This driver is not perfect but there is something about it that often brings me back to using it. Pure silver cable and the hard metallic shell will increase the clarity

Nov 18, 2020 at 7:26 AM Post #2,297 of 4,705
Its not lacking bass but I want more bads and more warmness in bass. The 130 ohm is more detailed than the 600 (maybe because of brightness?) to my ears but the soundstage is alot wider on the 600ohms.
the housing and foam pad I used is in the picture.
Last night I tried HE150Pro with Sam L compensation file. With his correction sound is more refined, mid-bass quantity is reduced a bit and mids are cleaner. The stock version already has fantastic sub-bass and soundstage.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #2,298 of 4,705
Nov 18, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #2,299 of 4,705
another question on the 130ohm driver. Theres soldering iron on the “lf” and “hf” what are those? Can I try to solder the wire to it? Or should I remove those solder or just leave them be? Thanks
Don't play with "8-packs".Seriously don’t touch anything, use only the first two, up at the top

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 8:14 AM Post #2,301 of 4,705
Can you please recommend "undisputable" set with ali links to purchase (incl MMCX connectors if any) to build for first time ? Forget to add - considering balanced connection to Hiby R6 Pro,
Can you elaborate a bit more? Undisputable? Are you looking to build your model or?

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #2,302 of 4,705
Can you elaborate a bit more? Undisputable? Are you looking to build your model or?

I mean, here a lot of different links to the sets you are experimenting with, i'm asking something which, let's say, must have while you consider your own build for first time. Or either already passed common confession and it is good quality and sound on the end.
Thanks.

Nov 18, 2020 at 8:53 AM Post #2,303 of 4,705
Its not lacking bass but I want more bads and more warmness in bass. The 130 ohm is more detailed than the 600 (maybe because of brightness?) to my ears but the soundstage is alot wider on the 600ohms.
I had those same shells before, tried many drivers through it, you are right, in those shells the 130 ohm didn't sound very good
If you still have the mx shells try the mx shells with a 0.8mm whole directly in the back and a full 7.1 foam

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #2,304 of 4,705
I had those same shells before, tried many drivers through it, you are right, in those shells the 130 ohm didn't sound very good
If you still have the mx shells try the mx shells with a 0.8mm whole directly in the back and a full 7.1 foam
I agree.
Here some examples for back vent #1 and #2
Here are 3 experiments with a 130ohm driver. In "PART 1" I used the same shell as yours but black. PART 2 build is most suitable for this driver

Nov 18, 2020 at 9:26 AM Post #2,305 of 4,705
I mean, here a lot of different links to the sets you are experimenting with, i'm asking something which, let's say, must have while you consider your own build for first time. Or either already passed common confession and it is good quality and sound on the end.
Thanks.
Try RY4S Plus and the 300ohm version. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33038850404.html
If you want to make your own model then in the RY Earphone Store and NSC Audio Store you can find all parts for your build

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:01 AM Post #2,307 of 4,705
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #2,308 of 4,705
Ok, here we go. Lately, the question has often been asked is where to find earphone or headphone parts for DIY?
Of course, you are welcome to suggest more links and I will update the list. But for now, let's sum up
diyparts.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> DIY EARBUDS PARTS LIST <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

***For DIY Earphones parts
there are several stores on Aliexpress. with a very diverse offer.
Most of the stores have the same parts, so it's a good idea to check where the parts are cheaper.
- NSC Audio Store
- JieTu Audio Store

- XinYue Audio Store
- DIY Earphone Tribe Store
- Chitty's Store
- CKLewis Audio Store
-
yuming Store
- RY Earphone Store

***For Plug and Connectors related to DIY cables (or audio equipment)
- QYFANG Official Store
- Zeatop Hendar Official Store
- R Connector Buy Official Store

***For pre-made "fancy" cables
- XINHS HIFI Audio Store
- KBEAR Official Store
- NiceHCK Audio Store

- Wooeasy_Earphones_Store (all in one place)

This can be an interesting and useful info
Modular "AIO" Cable parts
Making Balanced Headphone Cables By Rob Robinette
DIY and Mods
Balanced vs Unbalanced Audio Connections
Headphone Jack and Plugs: Everything You Need to Know
Pinouts for DIY

Soldering TIPS

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2020 at 11:19 AM Post #2,309 of 4,705
Ok, here we go. Lately, the question has often been asked is where to find earphone or headphone parts for DIY?
Of course, you are welcome to suggest more links and I will update the list. But for now, to sum up

***For DIY Earphones parts there are several stores on Aliexpress. with a very diverse offer.
Most of the stores have the same parts, so it's a good idea to check where the parts are cheaper.
- NSC Audio Store
- JieTu Audio Store
- DIY Earphone Tribe Store
- Chitty's Store
- CKLewis Audio Store
-
RY Earphone Store

***For Plug and Connectors related to DIY cables (or audio equipment)
- QYFANG Official Store
- Zeatop Hendar Official Store
- R Connector Buy Official Store

***For pre-made "fancy" cables (NiceHCK, Yin.Yoo ,KBear)
- KBEAR Official Store
- NiceHCK Audio Store

- Wooeasy_Earphones_Store (all in one place)

I love you. :wink:

Nov 18, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #2,310 of 4,705

Users who are viewing this thread

Back