DIY Earbuds
Dec 2, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,521 of 4,749
Yes, it begs to be drilled lol :D For about 3usd it could be a nice little project don't you think haha? Good excuse to bring out our favorite lo-fi hardware tools

I put the cklewis listing into my cart, it slowly appears at many seller though. The bigger models look nice too, there is a metal open back with mmcx for about 15usd
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001764517664.html
This is the same case. I tried to drill trough the back aluminum piece and because of the great heat the whole model fell apart in my hands:smile::smile:
It is a very thick and stubborn part of the shell.
HTB1l0uZMCzqK1RjSZFpq6ykSXXaD.jpg

Dec 2, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,522 of 4,749
This is the same case. I tried to drill trough the back aluminum piece and because of the great heat the whole model fell apart in my hands:smile::smile:
It is a very thick and stubborn part of the shell.
HTB1l0uZMCzqK1RjSZFpq6ykSXXaD.jpg
Nono it's very different, the EP01 is asymmteric and plastic besides that little part at the top (which could also be plastic who knonws), shape is different, and inside it appear to be smooth on the video
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/H474dd2e681e149678b2d703c2fe87cd5C.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #2,524 of 4,749
I played a bit with EQ in Peace. I just wanted to correct the bass and female vocals a little bit
This is the W.I.P for 64ohm N55 (full foam)
------------------------------------------------------------
Preamp: -3 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 20 Hz Gain 3 dB
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 55 Hz Gain 2.5 dB Q 0.5
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 75 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 0.5
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 100 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 250 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 0.8
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 400 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 0.5
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 3000 Hz Gain 0.5 dB Q 1
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 4500 Hz Gain 1 dB Q 1
Filter 11: ON PK Fc 7500 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 1.5
Filter 12: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1

Filter 13: ON HS Fc 16000 Hz Gain 3 dB
-------------------------------------------------------------
@assassin10000 thank you again for the graph.
Of course, any suggestions are welcome.

No problem. Your buds probably have significantly more mid-bass/lower mids, given the 'ports' you typically add to your builds. I would also guess your 'pinna' gain is lower than mine as well.

Hum..., according to your measurements, it seems that those drivers have close (too) sound signatures. They really sound close? If so, wouldn't it be the case to be unsure if the bery are really bery drivers?

They look close on the graph but sound way different.

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #2,525 of 4,749
Dec 3, 2020 at 6:25 AM Post #2,526 of 4,749
No problem. Your buds probably have significantly more mid-bass/lower mids, given the 'ports' you typically add to your builds. I would also guess your 'pinna' gain is lower than mine as well.
I prefer a more spacious sound (open-back) than an intimate one (close-back). The only reason I use "ports". And yes, the sound can be sometimes warm, muddy, and even hollow which can be corrected by reducing the cavity size and the diameter of the port itself, but on the other hand this may increase soundstage (which I like) and get rid of the bright highs (which I can't stand).
For N55 I used some old JVC shells. These shells have a "front-back vent" covered with thick foam and a "rear vent" is through the stem. This design (smaller cavity) can push mids a bit forward. Ergonomics are not bad at all.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:01 AM Post #2,527 of 4,749
I prefer a more spacious sound (open-back) than an intimate one (close-back). The only reason I use "ports". And yes, the sound can be sometimes warm, muddy, and even hollow which can be corrected by reducing the cavity size and the diameter of the port itself, but on the other hand this may increase soundstage (which I like) and get rid of the bright highs (which I can't stand).
For N55 I used some old JVC shells. These shells have a "front-back vent" covered with thick foam and a "rear vent" is through the stem. This design (smaller cavity) can push mids a bit forward. Ergonomics are not bad at all.

I agree. Spacious sound is better than closed in.

I find that the larger single vent newer PK style shells sound more open, due to larger internal volume. They just require waaaaay more work to fit the drivers.

That's part of the reason why the 'bell' shaped K's earbuds sound so good too probably.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #2,528 of 4,749
I agree. Spacious sound is better than closed in.
It doesn’t have to mean it’s better, it’s my personal preference. But that doesn’t mean I don’t like the intimate sound, after all, it depends a lot on the mood.
Nowadays, modern music makes a lot of use of artificial sound and effects, whether it is instruments or vocals. For that music spacious sound is better IMO
For quality records, natural sounds, live music, etc., both (spacious or closed in) can raise the mood to a special level, to the level of pure enjoyment,
and I hope that's why we love this hobby.
I find that the larger single vent newer PK style shells sound more open, due to larger internal volume. They just require waaaaay more work to fit the drivers.
Two things that are of great importance for the natural movement of the diaphragm and depend on the internal design of the shell are the pressure release and the reflection of the sound wave. The pressure release can be similar whether they are in question MX500, PK, DP100, metal shells because it depends on the total size of all ports.
What makes them different is the way the sound is reflected and its return speed. The size and shape of the cavity are "responsible" for this,
but also tuning filters and cable, which act as diffusers and absorbers.
That's part of the reason why the 'bell' shaped K's earbuds sound so good too probably.
I didn't like the sound of the original K's Bell-LB due to the anemic bass. Someone recently mentioned that there is a new "2020 edition". Is this a new model or it's the same model? Is there any difference in SQ?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2020 at 12:18 PM Post #2,529 of 4,749
I didn't like the sound of the original K's Bell-LB due to the anemic bass. Someone recently mentioned that there is a new "2020 edition". Is this a new model or it's the same model? Is there any difference in SQ?

Completely different sounding. The 2018 model was warm, smooth and detailed. More analog sounding. The 2020 is much more mainstream sounding, somewhat v-shaped.

Dec 3, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #2,530 of 4,749
Completely different sounding. The 2018 model was warm, smooth and detailed. More analog sounding. The 2020 is much more mainstream sounding, somewhat v-shaped.
Which one do you prefer 2018 or 2020?
I really like the sleek look of the Titan version (blue and silver). The price is really high, the design is really top-notch, I just wonder how they sound?
I can see from the graph that they have a literally "flat" sound

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:00 PM Post #2,531 of 4,749
Which one do you prefer 2018 or 2020?
I really like the sleek look of the Titan version (blue and silver). The price is really high, the design is really top-notch, I just wonder how they sound?
I can see from the graph that they have a literally "flat" sound

The 2020 version of the K's LBB.

I'm considering trying another style MMCX mod of the one I have, since I haven't sold it yet. I don't use fixed cable earbuds/iems much anymore, as I prefer to use either with my BT20S.

If I do I'll probably retune it more to my preference by removing some of the lower mids/upper bass and making the sound signature more similar to my DIY builds.

Dec 3, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #2,532 of 4,749
The 2020 version of the K's LBB.

I'm considering trying another style MMCX mod of the one I have, since I haven't sold it yet. I don't use fixed cable earbuds/iems much anymore, as I prefer to use either with my BT20S.

If I do I'll probably retune it more to my preference by removing some of the lower mids/upper bass and making the sound signature more similar to my DIY builds.
Ask @Sam_L for the compensation file. He did an awesome job for Datura Pro.
I just can't believe how well they sound now. Aluminum coated driver for me sounds better than Ti.
The original tuning was a disaster, without exaggeration

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2020 at 5:06 PM Post #2,533 of 4,749
An interesting question - have you tried building buds with apple lightning cable? One of my friends have a broken earpod and I was wondering if it's possible to salvage the cable and solder a new diy earbud on it. I guess the cable itself has a little dac in it and the speaker side is just standard connection, but not sure if it could drive a regular 15.4mm driver

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #2,534 of 4,749
An interesting question - have you tried building buds with apple lightning cable? One of my friends have a broken earpod and I was wondering if it's possible to salvage the cable and solder a new diy earbud on it. I guess the cable itself has a little dac in it and the speaker side is just standard connection, but not sure if it could drive a regular 15.4mm driver
Can you post some images? I don't know, are you consider maybe to build a lightning adapter (lightning USB to female 3.5mm). Then U can use any buds with it.

Dec 4, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #2,535 of 4,749

Users who are viewing this thread

Back