DIY Earbuds
Feb 18, 2020 at 3:34 AM Post #1,516 of 4,718
I finished converting one of my old Blox YIN/TM9 cable into MMCX. I'm pleased with both sonical result and look :)
Currently using it with my 32ohm build at work. I really enjoy the softness if this cable.
But at the end I just realized that I inversed the red mark (R) with the white (L), lol. Anyway nothing major as its just for me ^^

IMG_20200217_083856~2.jpg

Quick question guys.. what glue to use in making earbuds? Prefer if you would also state the brand, thanks.
I'm using E8000 glue to set drivers into shells correctly (easy to open remove if needed after). For something more strong I was using cyanolite in the past but not recommended as sometimes it makes white areas on the edges of the shells that is difficult to remove. I thing best way is using epoxy glue for better results (I still need to find where to buy).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 6:31 AM Post #1,517 of 4,718
Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,519 of 4,718
Hello again guys another quick question, have u guys tried putting a 15.4mm speaker unit on a 14.8mm pk shell? Will it fit or nah?
The diameter of the front cover is significantly larger than the edge of pk shell. You could do it probably with wrapping double sided tape between the two. But it will be messy and not very nice. I don't exactly see the point, there are very comfortable 15.4mm shells that would work better both mechanically and sonically.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #1,520 of 4,718
The diameter of the front cover is significantly larger than the edge of pk shell. You could do it probably with wrapping double sided tape between the two. But it will be messy and not very nice. I don't exactly see the point, there are very comfortable 15.4mm shells that would work better both mechanically and sonically.
I'll just add this one: Plus you have almost 80% more choices for 15.4mm shells than 14.8mm or 14.2mm shells.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #1,521 of 4,718
I'll just add this one: Plus you have almost 80% more choices for 15.4mm shells than 14.8mm or 14.2mm shells.

What I mean is that the only 15.4mm in the equation is the driver only, the front cover and shell would be 14.8mm, I was hoping if i could snug a 15.4mm driver in a 14.8mm front cover im assuming it has a few margins to fit the extra .6mm.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 12:31 PM Post #1,522 of 4,718
What I mean is that the only 15.4mm in the equation is the driver only, the front cover and shell would be 14.8mm, I was hoping if i could snug a 15.4mm driver in a 14.8mm front cover im assuming it has a few margins to fit the extra .6mm.
Nope. You will probably damage the driver when you try to connect cover with shell

Feb 18, 2020 at 4:05 PM Post #1,523 of 4,718
Nope. You will probably damage the driver when you try to connect cover with shell
Agreed. @larry piencenaves The opening of the front covers are exactly tailored to the specific speaker diameter. The metal part of the speaker usually snaps into a groove inside the front cover. Unfortunately there is no way you can fit a 15.4mm speaker into a 14.8mm cover without ruining the compatibility with 14.8mm in the first place.

By the way @furyossa I ordered the "Fever dac" with es9018k2m chip yesterday because the price went back to normal, and it has already shipped since then. I'm excited to hear what can 22usd do in 2020. Hopefully it'll be a significant upgrade over my smsl x4

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,524 of 4,718
New MMCX MX500 shell prototype made tonight :)

IMG_20200218_222247~2.jpg
IMG_20200218_222307~2.jpg
IMG_20200218_222426~2.jpg
IMG_20200218_222714~2.jpg
IMG_20200218_222642~2.jpg

What do you guys think about it?

I like the way it's even shorter (mmcx fit more into the shell). Marks will be with blue/red heatshrinks around the PINs (like my previous photo, in black). Just need to order those colored heatshrinks :D

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,525 of 4,718
Agreed. @larry piencenaves The opening of the front covers are exactly tailored to the specific speaker diameter. The metal part of the speaker usually snaps into a groove inside the front cover. Unfortunately there is no way you can fit a 15.4mm speaker into a 14.8mm cover without ruining the compatibility with 14.8mm in the first place.

By the way @furyossa I ordered the "Fever dac" with es9018k2m chip yesterday because the price went back to normal, and it has already shipped since then. I'm excited to hear what can 22usd do in 2020. Hopefully it'll be a significant upgrade over my smsl x4
I hope it justifies the price. It is really chip and it would be a shame not to try it.
This year I expect to see more amazing stuff at affordable prices, right now coronavirus slowed everyone down a lot.
BTW ... I received today something cool :wink: I will post the picture tomorrow.

Feb 18, 2020 at 5:58 PM Post #1,526 of 4,718
New MMCX MX500 shell prototype made tonight :)

What do you guys think about it?

I like the way it's even shorter (mmcx fit more into the shell). Marks will be with blue/red heatshrinks around the PINs (like my previous photo, in black). Just need to order those colored heatshrinks :D
Yup. That's it. :thumbsup:
In general, the metal shell of male MMCX is too big and heavy for earbuds and str8 up wearing.
The last time I cut the shell I aimed for the cut section to be the same length as an MMCX shell. So when viewed from distance, everything looks like a whole shell
Your length is pretty much the same.
Also, I remove the bulge from the backside of the shell with P180 or P220 sandpaper and then polish it with water sandpaper P2000
This type of MMCX is lighter and thinner (3mm diameter) and would fit in nicely, but I need to find the way how to press this metal tube over the connector
without a crimping tool which is too expensive. I'll try to find this plier tool in the local hardware store.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #1,527 of 4,718
Yup. That's it. :thumbsup:
In general, the metal shell of male MMCX is too big and heavy for earbuds and str8 up wearing.
The last time I cut the shell I aimed for the cut section to be the same length as an MMCX shell. So when viewed from distance, everything looks like a whole shell
Your length is pretty much the same.
Also, I remove the bulge from the backside of the shell with P180 or P220 sandpaper and then polish it with water sandpaper P2000
This type of MMCX is lighter and thinner (3mm diameter) and would fit in nicely, but I need to find the way how to press this metal tube over the connector
without a crimping tool which is too expensive. I'll try to find this plier tool in the local hardware store.

Why bother with the tube? I'd try soldering directly to the base/crimp area.

Feb 18, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #1,528 of 4,718
Why bother with the tube? I'd try soldering directly to the base/crimp area.
I don't like how shrink tubing gets crowded over the part where it is soldered

Users who are viewing this thread

Back