DIY Earbuds
Feb 16, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #1,501 of 4,721
Yesterday I started modding the RY4C with very promising results. It had very similar problem to the z-sound just much more exaggerated: too few vents which result in a warm and bloated lower half and a sharp overemphasized upper midrange. I drilled a few additional holes, put some scrap tuning foam on them and it sounds much more balanced and clean. I'll put better speakers in it soon and adjust the tuning, then post in more detail :)

@subwoof3r Wow thanks the pics greatly appreciated! Those extrs holes are necessary because the mmcx port blocks the airflow in the stem, am I right? (I mean it wouldnt be necessary with regular wired connection)

@larry piencenaves I think it could work if you drill holes in the shell and find compatible diameter for front cover. But I think it would save a lot of headache if you just buy shells for the purpose, the fit and sound would be more optimal.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:14 PM Post #1,502 of 4,721
Ok guys. I put the 32ohm n50 pet drivers in standard plastic mx500 shell and immediately put them back in the wood shells. I realized I really like them in those shells and the comfort factor was a very big part of that. Not much tuning require.

now onto 600ohm Beryllium. In the shell i am using currently there is a small peak at 2khz that I want to shift up to 3/3.5khz. I am familiar with changing reasonate peaks in full size headphones but not earbuds. Any advice? I also think these shells may be to large for my ears in general, which is a first. So I went and ordered another set of those new medium shells we’ve all been discussing. Also just changed colors up and got the red and blue.

so any assistance with open back vent shells shifting peak up not down would be great.

Feb 16, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #1,503 of 4,721
Ok guys. I put the 32ohm n50 pet drivers in standard plastic mx500 shell and immediately put them back in the wood shells. I realized I really like them in those shells and the comfort factor was a very big part of that. Not much tuning require.

now onto 600ohm Beryllium. In the shell i am using currently there is a small peak at 2khz that I want to shift up to 3/3.5khz. I am familiar with changing reasonate peaks in full size headphones but not earbuds. Any advice? I also think these shells may be to large for my ears in general, which is a first. So I went and ordered another set of those new medium shells we’ve all been discussing. Also just changed colors up and got the red and blue.

so any assistance with open back vent shells shifting peak up not down would be great.
I dont have experience with those metal open back shells but usually the 2khz peak happens when either there are insufficient vents on the shell or the speaker has too thick foam applied to it directly. (often both factors are present at the same time)
My recent mods are aimed to fix the same issue in various poorly vented shells. You could also try to change the speaker foam to thinner variant, but other might have other ideas. I'll try that wood shell with my n50 probably, sounds like it works well in that

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #1,504 of 4,721

This is probably not an accurate frequency graph but you can see where is the peak for my 600ohn driver in a blue metal shell.
DIY-600ohm.jpg

You can try to tune it by adding foam or wool pieces at the back, from the inside in front of a mesh.
I can't remember if I was putting anything at all.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #1,505 of 4,721
This is probably not an accurate frequency graph but you can see where is the peak for my 600ohn driver in a blue metal shell.
DIY-600ohm.jpg

You can try to tune it by adding foam or wool pieces at the back, from the inside in front of a mesh.
I can't remember if I was putting anything at all.

ok awesome thanks guys. I will just wait for the new shells to come in. Then tune from there. I spent more time with the current shells today and they are just not doing it for me. Fit is just off. So I’ll leave them in there to keep them safe for now then tune later.

What graphing tool do you use and mic? I think you mentioned it awhile ago but can’t recall. As far as graphing goes I know what mine does and look like and only use for personal really. But I think if people have the same mic and source then I trust it. Look at bggr and crinicle. They use the same stuff and have roughly the same graphs of each pair.

@robar yeah I like the 32ohm in that wooden shell quite a bit. Fit is a big reason and they sound nice in there.
What are those titanium drivers you like so well? Can you link them? I am wondering if the 32 or 64ohm would be better to try.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #1,506 of 4,721
Wow I’d be

ok awesome thanks guys. I will just wait for the new shells to come in. Then tune from there. I spent more time with the current shells today and they are just not doing it for me. Fit is just off. So I’ll leave them in there to keep them safe for now then tune later.

What graphing tool do you use and mic? I think you mentioned it awhile ago but can’t recall. As far as graphing goes I know what mine does and look like and only use for personal really. But I think if people have the same mic and source then I trust it. Look at bggr and crinicle. They use the same stuff and have roughly the same graphs of each pair.

@robar yeah I like the 32ohm in that wooden shell quite a bit. Fit is a big reason and they sound nice in there.
What are those titanium drivers you like so well? Can you link them? I am wondering if the 32 or 64ohm would be better to try.
It's not titanium, but this is the best 32ohm speaker I heard so far https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000281063945.html
Bass is vastly superior to the N50, crispy but well balanced mids and treble. N50 has really nice treble and soundstage but it's quite midcentric compared to this. I call this speaker 19-21 bass because of the stats. This is the same speaker that subwoof3r likes a lot after trying it out following my recommendation. I use mine in a qian69 shell but I plan to buy more and put these into everything haha. Puts emx500 speaker to shame, for almost same money it has significantly deeper bass and more transparent sound

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #1,507 of 4,721
Wow I’d be

We use the same mic but probably different sound card. Also, I don't do measurements on my phone, only on PC. For PC some external audion interface
with volume control is required for accurate measurement. I use LG G7 and on android, I didn't find the app which can be directly compared to AudioTool on iPhone.
Bggr and crinicle use AudioTool but their coupler is one of the best used professionally to measure IEM's and is quite expensive.
Anyway ... can you post the link of your current wooden shels?
It's not titanium, but this is the best 32ohm speaker I heard so far https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000281063945.html
Bass is vastly superior to the N50, crispy but well balanced mids and treble. N50 has really nice treble and soundstage but it's quite midcentric compared to this. I call this speaker 19-21 bass because of the stats. This is the same speaker that subwoof3r likes a lot after trying it out following my recommendation. I use mine in a qian69 shell but I plan to buy more and put these into everything haha. Puts emx500 speaker to shame, for almost same money it has significantly deeper bass and more transparent sound
PK emx500 and MX500 emx500, neglecting size, are quite different in sound. I broke my Pk version, which for me sounds more fun than MX500 version.
You two have advertised 32ohm driver a lot. The seller should really give you ten pairs for free. :beerchug:

Feb 16, 2020 at 9:39 PM Post #1,508 of 4,721
We use the same mic but probably different sound card. Also, I don't do measurements on my phone, only on PC. For PC some external audion interface
with volume control is required for accurate measurement. I use LG G7 and on android, I didn't find the app which can be directly compared to AudioTool on iPhone.
Bggr and crinicle use AudioTool but their coupler is one of the best used professionally to measure IEM's and is quite expensive.
Anyway ... can you post the link of your current wooden shels?

PK emx500 and MX500 emx500, neglecting size, are quite different in sound. I broke my Pk version, which for me sounds more fun than MX500 version.
You two have advertised 32ohm driver a lot. The seller should really give you ten pairs for free. :beerchug:
Haha yes I'd appreciate a bunch of those. I was speaking about the emx500 speaker itself, not any particular earbud. I never had the original emx500 I just bought the same speakers it uses. It's the most popular 32ohm diy speaker at the moment, many people built custom buds with them. You can buy it at jietu for 3usd/pair or buy a pack of 5 at cklewis for example. It was the price performance champion before the new speakers come out few month ago like the 19-21 and n50. I built quite a few versions with it and it performs similarly to the ry4s ue speaker. (bit less bass more detail on mid-hi range) I've just built a bud with the modded ry4c shells and emx500 speakers. It sounds quite good, smooth and not very far from neutral with a bit soft bass, nice full vocals. It will serve well as a street/podcast bud. But its inferior to the 19-21 build in every way.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:05 PM Post #1,509 of 4,721
Haha yes I'd appreciate a bunch of those. I was speaking about the emx500 speaker itself, not any particular earbud. I never had the original emx500 I just bought the same speakers it uses. It's the most popular 32ohm diy speaker at the moment, many people built custom buds with them. You can buy it at jietu for 3usd/pair or buy a pack of 5 at cklewis for example. It was the price performance champion before the new speakers come out few month ago like the 19-21 and n50. I built quite a few versions with it and it performs similarly to the ry4s ue speaker. (bit less bass more detail on mid-hi range) I've just built a bud with the modded ry4c shells and emx500 speakers. It sounds quite good, smooth and not very far from neutral with a bit soft bass, nice full vocals. It will serve well as a street/podcast bud. But its inferior to the 19-21 build in every way.
Original 14.8mm EMX500 it is quite similar in terms of sound with PK2. Price-performance champion in my collection is RY4S Plus (silver with MMCX). For $7.99 with all of this and good sound and don't forget super glue that it uses (melting point probably supernova heat):cold_sweat:

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 1:31 PM Post #1,510 of 4,721
IMG_6151.jpg

Yes the 32ohm N50 PET drivers are a nice fit in these shells. Neutral sound overall, bass is present not overdone. Treble is present but not sharp. Mids are there and overall mellow. Vocals are clear but again do lean on the mellow side. I wouldn't call it warm though. Overall a chillout bud that you forget are in and just can listen to for longer session due to no over emphasized areas. Resolution is good but not amazing. Overall a nice piece to have around for under $10 total(cable not included in that). If I was to do it again I'd just get the hard wired version as no need to run balanced with a 32ohm driver.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000477388117.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.3a994c4dhv4eTQ

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33027995148.html?spm=2114.13010708.0.0.3a994c4d71fM0q

EDIT:
Just did some measurements of these and wanted to share. I'll try and get my 600ohm measured as well as control set for reference.

These are two takes on measurements. The first is the common at eardrum measurement and second is more easily interpreted to standard raw graph measurements.

N50Woodeardrum.JPG
N50WoodRaw.JPG

My measurements are not really accurate in lower registers but overall you can see bass, mids, and highs well. This shows a very neutral presentation. The 3khz area is not as elevated as something like an Etymotic. Which is what I was calling a mellow play back rather than warm. It's a slightly lower 6db elevation vs 10db elevation from 1khz to 3khz. Otherwise very much in the same ballpark.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 2:23 PM Post #1,511 of 4,721
no need to run balanced with a 32ohm driver
I like this NiceHCK gray cable. I bought 2.5mm balanced version.
If 32ohm driver has the good potential I use balanced. The main benefit here is it can clear the sound a bit.
Of course for high impedance drivers in 99% cases, I use balanced (more power).
A wooden shell that I really wish to try is YINMAN 150ohm. There are many old 150ohm drivers who really deserve attention.
Shells are a very simple, beautiful hang-made minimalistic design. And then YINMAN makes an upgraded version.
Pure originality, classic design, where every element of wood is perfectly implemented.
I really don't know what they sound like, but I think the overall design and originality justify the price.

Feb 17, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #1,512 of 4,721
Original 14.8mm EMX500 it is quite similar in terms of sound with PK2. Price-performance champion in my collection is RY4S Plus (silver with MMCX). For $7.99 with all of this and good sound and don't forget super glue that it uses (melting point probably supernova heat):cold_sweat:
What's the deal with this pk emx500? Is this some kind of diy guy's crazy idea? I've never seen one but saw it mentioned in the past. What's the point of forcing a mediocre 15.4mm speaker into a 14.8mm shell, which is not an amazing acoustic design anyways? I don't see the point personally.
I tried 3 earbuds from RY: ry4x ry4c ry4s UE. I found their tuning to be lackluster, wasn't a fan of any of those. (ry4sue could have been really nice with a bit more bass and bit less sharp treble) I opened up all of them and the glue is definitely very strong. I could only open up ry4c by drilling a hole first and pushing out the speaker through it by a screwdriver

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #1,513 of 4,721
What's the deal with this pk emx500? Is this some kind of diy guy's crazy idea? I've never seen one but saw it mentioned in the past. What's the point of forcing a mediocre 15.4mm speaker into a 14.8mm shell, which is not an amazing acoustic design anyways? I don't see the point personally.
I tried 3 earbuds from RY: ry4x ry4c ry4s UE. I found their tuning to be lackluster, wasn't a fan of any of those. I opened up all of them and the glue is definitely very strong. I could only open up ry4c by drilling a hole first and pushing out the speaker through it by a screwdriver
Original EMX500 is a 14.8mm driver in PK shell and it is no longer on Ali. 15.4mm version has totally different tuning.
Also, RY4S Plus is an upgraded version of the original RY4S driver. For me is superior driver then 15.4mm EMX500

Feb 17, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,514 of 4,721
Original EMX500 is a 14.8mm driver in PK shell and it is no longer on Ali. 15.4mm version has totally different tuning.
Also, RY4S Plus is an upgraded version of the original RY4S driver. For me is superior driver then 15.4mm EMX500
It's really hard for me to believe, as the name emx500 comes from the specific earbud that started the earbud boom few years ago and still sold on ali. Unsurprisingly the name emx500 comes from the fact that it uses the mx500 shell. I don't think it's physically possible to fit that speaker into any kind of 14.8mm compatible front cover.
The basic 4-5usd RY4S has different speakers than the UE version, I saw a picture of disassembled basic/UE ry4s speakers side by side and they are different. I believe basic ry4s has the same speakers as ry4x, which I own and experimented with (looked the same and said to be the same by a friend who own both and disassembled them). It's a very basic and cheap speaker in my opinion nowhere near the level of ry4s UE speaker which looks the same as emx500 speaker and sounds very similar to emx500 speaker in identical tuning. (I would say 90% matching) I don't think the ry4s plus has entirely different speaker, it just uses the one from the UE version not the basic version, but I can't know for sure. But it doesn't really matter, when for less than 4usd we can buy better than any of this to be honest
Edit: here's a pic of ry4x/ry4c speakers versus ry4s UE speakers. i believe basic ry4s model uses the first one not the second, but I haven't disassembled it myself. However it's more than probable, my friends photo of the basic ry4s looked exactly like the first one here.
IMG_20200218_001407.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back