DIY Earbuds
Feb 6, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #1,411 of 4,707
Thank you. I found the one where is told that the driver is 16mm size, though got the new info that it was measured and actually the driver itself is 15.3mm.
But no info about the mounting say mx500 drivers.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #1,413 of 4,707
@subwoof3r Do you have a picture of how the EB2 looks inside? If I remember correctly you adjusted the tuning of it, but the head-fi search is broken or at least I couldn't make it work haha. I'd like to see how a similar shell to Z-sound is tuned. From the aliexpress images I can see that it has 2 strips of vents on the sides plus one or two holes at the top, it would be interesting to see the foam arrangement inside.

IMG_20200206_144406357.jpg
From my memory, EB2 were easy to open, I remember that the tuning cotton foams were badly placed into the two shells, resulting a less bassy sound overall. The trick was just to replace the cottons foams, or use the already placed ones and re-adjust them properly (at the cost of some less adhesive tape in some parts).
Also, I remember EB2 were using PK2 drivers but I replaced them with other PK2 drivers variant (can't remember which ones now) which was probably original PK2 drivers and which helped EB2 to sound a bit better.
But I remember anyway EB2 were not really sounding the way I wanted, it was one of my first open earbuds experimentations LONG time ago, I learned a lot since :D

Feb 6, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #1,414 of 4,707
Thank you. I found the one where is told that the driver is 16mm size, though got the new info that it was measured and actually the driver itself is 15.3mm.
Yeah, I vernier measured it to be 15.3mm few months ago, but i have never swapped out the drivers before. Will measure it again next week when I`m home.

EDIT (10 Feb):
E808plus.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #1,415 of 4,707
From my memory, EB2 were easy to open, I remember that the tuning cotton foams were badly placed into the two shells, resulting a less bassy sound overall. The trick was just to replace the cottons foams, or use the already placed ones and re-adjust them properly (at the cost of some less adhesive tape in some parts).
Also, I remember EB2 were using PK2 drivers but I replaced them with other PK2 drivers variant (can't remember which ones now) which was probably original PK2 drivers and which helped EB2 to sound a bit better.
But I remember anyway EB2 were not really sounding the way I wanted, it was one of my first open earbuds experimentations LONG time ago, I learned a lot since
I never listen NiceHCK EB2 but I don't know is it mediocre driver or shape of the shell or even tuning that affects the sound quality. Same case with K's LBB.
I think that the shape of a shell has a lot of potentials. Sony MDR-Z1R has a similar cap. Of course, SONY use very unique tech for every single part of headphones.
The picture below shows how the sound is reflected in this form.
Untitled-2.jpg

More info https://www.innerfidelity.com/content/sony-mdr-z1r-sealed-over-ear-headphones

Feb 6, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #1,416 of 4,707
Yeah, I vernier measured it to be 15.3mm few months ago, but i have never swapped out the drivers before. Will measure it again next week when I`m home.
Would appreciate it :)

So I bought some used and half-dead genuine sennheisers mx170 and mx375.
These buds are very similar in driver parts' form, have 15.4mm drivers and are fully compatible with mx500-like diy ones.
I personally like mx170 fit more than mx500 and find it interesting for diy builds :)
The mx170/365 shell is not presented on aliexpress yet, but you can either order it on taobao or buy used ones.

P00206-230735.jpg

The caps hold on glue, and sometimes are hard to open (2 of 3 I did). I even broke one driver opening mx170.
While mx170/365 shell is a solid piece of plastic with a spot for a horseshoe tuning cotton, mx375 one is much more complex.

P00206-234746.jpg

It consists of three parts which hold on plastic pins, glue and a screw. Even being quite careful it is very easy to accidentally break a pin.
I thought the cable management is under the lighter part, but it appeared to be a decorative piece.
The hole from the cable chamber to the driver one is very narrow.
Another tricky thing is that driver caps snap very tight on mx375 shell making it hard to open again if the parts aren't glued back together. Otherwise I guess it's very easy to break.
So I think mx375 may be useful for making builds but not that good for experimenting a lot.

P00206-232343.jpg

Right now I don't have drivers and cables to experiment with apart from rygmr and vido, but want to order some mentioned there :)
Btw guys do you still order despite that virus outbreak?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 2:45 AM Post #1,417 of 4,707
Btw guys do you still order despite that virus outbreak?
These kinds of viruses (flu etc) only usually last a few hours on the surface of an object, so there is practically no chance of it surviving days or weeks in transit.

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:26 AM Post #1,418 of 4,707
These kinds of viruses (flu etc) only usually last a few hours on the surface of an object, so there is practically no chance of it surviving days or weeks in transit.
They also cannot survive the "burn-in" process. Coronavirus not like pink noise :wink:

Feb 7, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,421 of 4,707
I just finish this MX500 "over-ear" mod prototype. I never have a proper fit with regular MX500 shells and I've been looking for a solution for some time. This concept (mmcx or cabled variant) can be worn over-ear or str8-up.
MX500-overear.jpg

Feb 9, 2020 at 7:59 AM Post #1,423 of 4,707
Where did you buy your hand drills? Are the cheap ones from aliexpress worth anything (like this), or should I buy a more expensive one from a local model makers' shop? Do you have any recommended brands?

BTW I had one order from the end of january but after a week I cancelled it.

Feb 9, 2020 at 6:40 PM Post #1,424 of 4,707
Here is my weekend project. This is my new PET, n50 32ohm. Super comfy and sound is nice. Firs time I have soldered and installed mmcx terminals in buds. It was quite the challenge in all honesty. Doing the install on my ER4S clone was much easier haha. Anyway this was a cheap test run before I wire up the 600ohm Beryllium in its shell.

I also broke open my KBear Knight buds and think they are some kind of titanium driver with n52 magnet. I didn’t like them honestly. Not after hearing quality buds. So thinking I’ll use the shells for something as I really like the way they hang on my ear.
Glad to see so much good info being shared on here lately as well!

Attachments

• 15A32F40-5EC2-4CAA-B280-02EB3FD78FD1.jpeg
    15A32F40-5EC2-4CAA-B280-02EB3FD78FD1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #1,425 of 4,707
Where did you buy your hand drills? Are the cheap ones from aliexpress worth anything (like this), or should I buy a more expensive one from a local model makers' shop? Do you have any recommended brands?

BTW I had one order from the end of january but after a week I cancelled it.
I use these two drills for aluminum and plastic shells
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32836204519.html (the similar model you can find it in a local hardware store)
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000246310948.html (and this model for tin aluminum only)
and recently I both this titanium coated cutting bits
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32867249964.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back