DIY Earbuds
Feb 3, 2020 at 4:16 PM Post #1,381 of 4,718
I have compared them to my original EMX500 earbuds and the main difference is that the bass is not as boomy but much more controlled, I was quite surprised to find this. I'm using no extra damping inside.
Really amazing considering the size of the opening:relaxed:

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,382 of 4,718
Yup. It's is similar but again different. You can see in this video. For vent, I use a pair of smallest rivets (3/32" ie 2.4mm), you can find it in any hardware store (aluminum or copper).
This guy use probably bigger size that's why he placed rivet on top, perpendicular to sound wave. I use parallel placement and block vent from the direct sound wave similar to "bass reflex" speakers.
Different radius and length of the vent can also affect the sound.
The goal is to establish the right balance between the pressure in front and behind the driver. As an example the shape of this shell (original design by Final Audio PianoForteXT) is unusual but its ease to achieve this goal then with MX500.
And if you ask which one method is better? Maybe someone knows better to explain.
He removes a black tuning filter from the shell and adds a tick white filter on the back of the driver. K's earbuds 300ohm use this filter and without shell black filter. It sounds hollow to me, but I don't know about the Vido.
Personally I like to combine these foam filters for the shell and these cotton filter for the driver.
Try on Qian69 to add a filter on the driver if not already have one. Or add one more and punch one or two holes through the filter if mids are to reduced. Maybe combo full foam and donut foam can help.
About the vent. Yes, this mod affects sub-bass and bass. A small tip: inside the shell just above cable hole you can see small round mark probably from the mold. That is the place for the vent hole :wink:
It's important to seal cable hole, if you not use MMCX, after you place cable with blu tack or glue.
About PK2: Yes. Is a good driver. I have 2 more spare pairs, and I try theses on different shells.
Wow thanks for the detailed info. I've read the article about the bass reflex speaker design, but I don't understand how this principles would apply to an earbud. If I understand correctly, the bass port's main effect comes from directly contributing to the sound we hear, because it emits sound at the frequencies where the speaker struggles. But on an earbud, this kind of bass port is not channeled into the front cover, but sits on the top of the shell facing away. So it's not really contributing anything directly to the sound that reaches our eardrum, but works as any other vent on the shell. Isn't it possible that a different phenomena plays at role here, and not loudspeaker principles?
I have compared them to my original EMX500 earbuds and the main difference is that the bass is not as boomy but much more controlled, I was quite surprised to find this. I'm using no extra damping inside.
I think the original emx500 might use the same kind of "boomy" shell design which the white vido has as well. The boomy/v-shape doesn't come from the speaker or tuning foam, but from the shell itself. I put emx500 speakers in the regular black shells and it had a nice tight neutral/slightly bright sound, but putting it into white vido and fengru tc200 shells made it very boomy and v shape. (with the same tuning foam) So I'm not sure if the tightness comes from the vent, have you tried putting it into a simple black shell like those in the 3usd 5-sets?

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #1,383 of 4,718
I put them in the exact same shells as my early EMX500 build, the only difference is the vent as this was an experiment.

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #1,384 of 4,718
So I tried the last mode and didn't work as I expected.
bass-reflex.jpg

The reason is that cap over vent takes up too much space so that the mids become quite muted. Sub-bass is good. Obviously, this titanium 64ohm requires a
little more cavity space. A simple "vent" mod is a way to go for now. I will also try with the metal shell to see how the driver behaves.

Feb 4, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #1,385 of 4,718
Now it's just a matter of how much weight they have. I don't have a good sealing with 15.4mm driver and most of the metal shells I wear over-ear..
I bought the brass mx500 shells from this seller.
(my post from a few pages back) https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/post-15401871

Firstly they are quite heavy, but even if I shake my head they sit in place due to the friction of the foam around the bud.
As long as you have a normal/snug fit with other mx500 buds, these should be no different.

Secondly these shells are designed to accept 15mm drivers, NOT 15.4mm drivers.
This is what I was told by the seller, although I have never seen 15mm drivers for sale anywhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I used 15.4mm drivers (from my Sabia V6 'Pearl') by wrapping a slither of electrical tape around the end of the shell as a sort of gasket to seal the gap between the shell and the driver cap. This actually worked surprisingly well, although it's quite difficult to not end up with some stray ugly bits sticking out the sides - nothing a foam cover doesn't hide though.

So be warned, they're a tiny bit smaller than standard mx500 shells, but I've been extremely satisfied with my set.

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:08 AM Post #1,386 of 4,718
As promised, here is how my current 64ohm Titanium mod is looking :) :
I'm doing a unique very little hole (0.6mm) like the picture shown after :

IMG_20200203_222621~2.jpg
(I'm doing the same but mirroring depending on L or R side)

IMG_20200203_210931~2.jpg

Since yesterday I'm currently trying this addon of extra tuning foams inside the shells (properly cutted) :

IMG_20200203_221513~2.jpg

Looks like there is slightly less reasonnance with that and slightly improve sub-bass and mid-bass impact (but by a very small margin).
With this kind of setup, to me those drivers sounds phenomenal with good treble details (which is lacking a bit from these drivers initially).
I think I will buy soon this thing to make graphs of frequencies, could be interesting before/after each mods tries :)
Cheers'

Feb 4, 2020 at 4:23 AM Post #1,387 of 4,718

Neat.

I've been considering adding a vent to my MMCX modded K's LBB as after the mod I closed the opening where the cable came in. It became much less dark/warm and more balanced.

I may do something similar to my modded LBB. I got a small hand drill for opening up the hole to do that mod. May as well use it since it came with some .5 or .6mm bits too.

1734079049-307560838.jpg

Gonna do some listening first. Then maybe figure out where I want the hole, probably near the mmcx connector.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #1,388 of 4,718
I bought the brass mx500 shells from this seller.
(my post from a few pages back) https://www.head-fi.org/threads/diy-earbuds.822327/post-15401871

Firstly they are quite heavy, but even if I shake my head they sit in place due to the friction of the foam around the bud.
As long as you have a normal/snug fit with other mx500 buds, these should be no different.

Secondly these shells are designed to accept 15mm drivers, NOT 15.4mm drivers.
This is what I was told by the seller, although I have never seen 15mm drivers for sale anywhere. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I used 15.4mm drivers (from my Sabia V6 'Pearl') by wrapping a slither of electrical tape around the end of the shell as a sort of gasket to seal the gap between the shell and the driver cap. This actually worked surprisingly well, although it's quite difficult to not end up with some stray ugly bits sticking out the sides - nothing a foam cover doesn't hide though.

So be warned, they're a tiny bit smaller than standard mx500 shells, but I've been extremely satisfied with my set.
I think that the seller follows the tradition of other metal housing. Most of these are 15mm. They probably count everyone using the glue. At all costs, I try to avoid using adhesive, whether for drivers or connectors.
Instead of electrical tape, you can try with double-sided adhesive tape. Cut tiny pieces and wrap around on the inner side of the driver's cover. In this case, you can add a small amount of glue, which will stay on tape and not the cover.

Since yesterday I'm currently trying this addon of extra tuning foams inside the shells (properly cutted) :

Looks like there is slightly less reasonnance with that and slightly improve sub-bass and mid-bass impact (but by a very small margin).
With this kind of setup, to me those drivers sounds phenomenal with good treble details (which is lacking a bit from these drivers initially).
I think I will buy soon this thing to make graphs of frequencies, could be interesting before/after each mods tries :)
Cheers'
I end up with a similar approach.
T64.jpg

Cotton filter on driver backside, vent covered with a shrinking tube, medical tape inside prevent wire to scratch the shell, cotton around the vent and small foam "wall" just 1mm in front of vent to block direct sound waves. When I remove this "wall" sub-bass is less noticeable

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 10:13 AM Post #1,389 of 4,718

IMG_20200203_222621~2.jpg

IMG_20200203_210931~2.jpg

IMG_20200203_221513~2.jpg

Cheers'

Since that you mention the 64 ohm titanium driver have you tried this driver ?
https://shopee.vn/15.4mm-Earphone-S...d-Earphone-Speaker-2PCS-i.69887650.2698686133
This is the only titanium driver I can acquire now (around 10$).
I see that the 600ohm driver is considerably expensive than the rest (50 $ vs 10$) is it worth that?
Thanks.

Feb 4, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #1,390 of 4,718
How would you compare the 150ohm speaker from cklewis and the steel mesh 32ohm to these speakers? Is it still worth trying out those or it's just as good to stick to these two (which are cheaper as well)?
Just realized that I forgot to answer your message.
I tried again two weeks ago the 150 ohm (which were my previous favorite before 130 ohm beryllium) but I didn't stand much time with them as definitely there is much better alternatives. It was lacking bass dept, sounded a bit muddy and a bit boring overall, I understood very fast how I immediately felt in love with the 130 ohm Beryllium :)
My favorites drivers are now these 64 ohm titanium, 130 ohm beryllium, and then the 32 ohm quoted recently. I will work only in them for now till I/we find better :)

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #1,391 of 4,718
https://shopee.vn/15.4mm-Earphone-S...d-Earphone-Speaker-2PCS-i.69887650.2698686133
I see that the 600ohm driver is considerably expensive than the rest (50 $ vs 10$) is it worth that?
Thanks.
I wish they will arrives into aliexpress one day, looks interesting. I still think we will get slightly better imaging in the 64 ohm (based on my experience).
Unfortunately, shopee is like taobao for EU customers, its almost impossible and/or very complex to order as no shipping into EU. I have only aliexpress for ordering and try drivers :frowning2:

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #1,392 of 4,718

Cheers'
Amazing thanks for the pics! So you drilled the hole in line with the other vents. Btw how do you drill such tiny perfect holes? I plan to acquire the necessary tools but I'm not sure what to buy. Do you use hand drill similar to what @assassin10000 posted? It's a shame those white tuning foams are so expensive haha. So looking at the foam arrangement, did you find that the small parts of the horseshoe plus the square is better than simply putting the whole horseshoe on in the same place? I did experimented with something like this on dp100 shell and I did find that cutting up the horseshoe and only putting it over the vents helped to brighten up the sound

Just realized that I forgot to answer your message.
I tried again two weeks ago the 150 ohm (which were my previous favorite before 130 ohm beryllium) but I didn't stand much time with them as definitely there is much better alternatives. It was lacking bass dept, sounded a bit muddy and a bit boring overall, I understood very fast how I immediately felt in love with the 130 ohm Beryllium :)
My favorites drivers are now these 64 ohm titanium, 130 ohm beryllium, and then the 32 ohm quoted recently. I will work only in them for now till I/we find better :)
Thanks, then I'll skip the 150ohm and buy more of these and pk2 speakers.

Thanks.
This looks like the titanium monitor speaker that is quite common at aliexpress, you can find it at ghxamp and jietu store for example. According to the reviews and graphs, it is a bright midcentric speaker, certainly not something I'd be happy with. But there are other types 32ohm titanium speakers that look very similar to the 64ohm titanium and they come with steel mesh covers as well, those are much more interesting to me. If you have access to aliexpress, the 64ohm titanium is less than 10usd, that would be your safest bet I think.
this is the monitor titanium https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33041139370.html
this is the steel mesh the looks similar to the 64ohm titanium https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000548907020.html

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,393 of 4,718
I wish they will arrives into aliexpress one day, looks interesting. I still think we will get slightly better imaging in the 64 ohm (based on my experience).
Unfortunately, shopee is like taobao for EU customers, its almost impossible and/or very complex to order as no shipping into EU. I have only aliexpress for ordering and try drivers :frowning2:
You won't missing much since that is just a lite version of Aliexpress. The Chineses who open shop in Shopee also open shop in aliexpress with much more items. The only reason I use it is that the shipping cost is much cheaper and they support COD.

Feb 4, 2020 at 11:06 AM Post #1,394 of 4,718
Maybe I missing something but these Titanium 32ohm can be found in many Aliexpress stores. Here is the lowest price
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000592420513.html

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #1,395 of 4,718
Have you tried putting the 14.8mm PK2 speakers in earbuds like Qian39 or Faaeal Z-sound? I wonder if they are compatible. I really like the form factor of those but the sound could be easily improved with better drivers.
Also, have you tried the 6-hole wooden shells from nsc store? I'd get one if I know for sure they snap on 15.4mm speakers.

Maybe I missing something but these Titanium 32ohm can be found in many Aliexpress stores. Here is the lowest price
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000592420513.html
Yes ghxamp store has been selling those for a long time, jietu just recently added it. At ghxamp you can find reviews and graphs, I think this is very different from the 64ohm titanium, it's more like a bright midcentric speaker.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back