DIY Earbuds
Mar 5, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #316 of 4,717
Ahh that sounds depressing. Nvm i shall order myself some drivers from taobao and do it from scratch. Till then!

Mar 10, 2017 at 1:48 PM Post #318 of 4,717
Hi,

I'm wondering, what are the rules of thumb/theory when modding/creating new earbuds? I'm at complete beginner at modding, but it seems there are several things to consider;

- holes on the back of the body. What does it do to the frequency response to either create new/larger holes or fill existing with material? What does the distance between holes have of influence? I'm thinking about the theory of creating a subwoofer, where all this is well described. The wavelength of bass frequencies seem huge compared to any possible distance between the holes, does it matter at all? Or does it matter more to mid frequencies?
- what does adding of "horseshoe cotton" do to the frequency response? Or several? For example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Earbud-headphones-horseshoe-tuning-cotton-Ear-noise-cotton-Leakproof-sound-speaker-unit-complex/2036360886.html
- what does putting "something" in the chamber, thereby making the chamber smaller, do to the frequency response? What is the effect of different materials (ie cotton / hard material)?
- the small holes in the front of the earbud are mostly extremely small. Any benefits from making them larger? Some earbuds only have holes in the outer part, not in the center, does this make the sound "bigger"?
- cable. Matters or not beyond a certain quality? I've had silver interconnects between stationary units and that definetly made a difference (to me..).
- plug. Rhodium seems popular, I've ordered but haven't received. Seems that rhodium results in more treble compared to gold, which is rounder in freq response. For example with Edimun v3.

I cant find a guide to this and more, even though I believe it should be possible to make one..

Anyone have a good app for iphone for measuring the frequency response? I know it will not be exact in any way, I'm just interested in being able to make relative measurements before/after modding.

Thanks for input :) 

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #319 of 4,717
  Hi,

I'm wondering, what are the rules of thumb/theory when modding/creating new earbuds? I'm at complete beginner at modding, but it seems there are several things to consider;

- holes on the back of the body. What does it do to the frequency response to either create new/larger holes or fill existing with material? What does the distance between holes have of influence? I'm thinking about the theory of creating a subwoofer, where all this is well described. The wavelength of bass frequencies seem huge compared to any possible distance between the holes, does it matter at all? Or does it matter more to mid frequencies?
- what does adding of "horseshoe cotton" do to the frequency response? Or several? For example https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Earbud-headphones-horseshoe-tuning-cotton-Ear-noise-cotton-Leakproof-sound-speaker-unit-complex/2036360886.html
- what does putting "something" in the chamber, thereby making the chamber smaller, do to the frequency response? What is the effect of different materials (ie cotton / hard material)?
- the small holes in the front of the earbud are mostly extremely small. Any benefits from making them larger? Some earbuds only have holes in the outer part, not in the center, does this make the sound "bigger"?
- cable. Matters or not beyond a certain quality? I've had silver interconnects between stationary units and that definetly made a difference (to me..).
- plug. Rhodium seems popular, I've ordered but haven't received. Seems that rhodium results in more treble compared to gold, which is rounder in freq response. For example with Edimun v3.

I cant find a guide to this and more, even though I believe it should be possible to make one..

Anyone have a good app for iphone for measuring the frequency response? I know it will not be exact in any way, I'm just interested in being able to make relative measurements before/after modding.

Thanks for input :) 

Holes on the back of the body..... find a bud with a lot of holes on the back and experiment covering them with tape or your fingers, you will get a better sense of what it does than any words i could write. Don't confuse these with bass vents.

Horseshoe cotton will affect different drivers different depending on the shell. Again, a thing experimentation will let you know best. But, generally they are used to prevent reverberation...

Cable and plug matters more than it does on iem/headphones in my experience.

If you are gonna measure FR with a phone or PC mic then the most important part is that there are no variables when doing it. Make sure everything is EXACTLY the same when you make FR charts to compare. If the setup is even slightly different then the findings are meaningless.

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:32 AM Post #320 of 4,717
Horseshoe cotton will affect different drivers different depending on the shell. Again, a thing experimentation will let you know best. But, generally they are used to prevent reverberation...
bro. What kind of reverberation it affect? is it desirable or non desirable reverberation? Does it also effect bass resonance?

Mar 13, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #323 of 4,717
In the case of channel imbalance, Left sounds louder than Right, is this solved by switching the wires in the Right driver or vice versa?

You may try blowing some air or vacuuming to the front cover/behind the driver to the left driver. It sounds odd but this method worked on my SHE3800.

That also solved rattling sound on SHE3800 and LZ Z03a. Hope that helps :wink:

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #324 of 4,717
You may try blowing some air or vacuuming to the front cover/behind the driver to the left driver. It sounds odd but this method worked on my SHE3800.

That also solved rattling sound on SHE3800 and LZ Z03a. Hope that helps :wink:

Thanks for this! I tried it on the right driver and it's back to normal! Glad I didn't have to mess with them more.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #325 of 4,717
I had problem with qian39 rattling bass. Did the same. Slow blow into the driver. Help with qian but not working with she3800. We'll I guess now one of my she3800 not working at all it must be something else.

On the side note. I can't shake the feeling that qian39 sound less impressive after thorough burn in. I like it when it's new. Tighter sounding.

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #326 of 4,717
I had problem with qian39 rattling bass. Did the same. Slow blow into the driver. Help with qian but not working with she3800. We'll I guess now one of my she3800 not working at all it must be something else.

On the side note. I can't shake the feeling that qian39 sound less impressive after thorough burn in. I like it when it's new. Tighter sounding.

terrible stock cable, replace that asap IMO

Mar 15, 2017 at 3:52 AM Post #327 of 4,717

yep, same here :hushed:

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #328 of 4,717
terrible stock cable, replace that asap IMO
I have both. The recable and reterminate sound brighter compared to stock. I found newly arrived qian39 sound best. After 1 day listening to newly arrived qian I gave it to friend for audition. He use it around 20-30 hour and gave it back to me. it still sound impressive. But after 50 hour it started to sound different. Less engaging. Before burn in I don't have to look into music. It came to me. Not long after burn in it started to get lazy and I have to. seek to the sound. As I said before it became less engaging.

Not sure what happened though. I might save one pair and listen back after left it for a while to test

It still very good though. But I like it better when it's new.

Mar 15, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #329 of 4,717
Ok, got my purchases from AE and Taobao

Now gonna try some of the E808+ that i miss so much before doing anything to the buds. And YES! I got a new solder which looks much better :D Came with 60-40 soldering wire too!

Mar 15, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #330 of 4,717
I have both. The recable and reterminate sound brighter compared to stock. I found newly arrived qian39 sound best. After 1 day listening to newly arrived qian I gave it to friend for audition. He use it around 20-30 hour and gave it back to me. it still sound impressive. But after 50 hour it started to sound different. Less engaging. Before burn in I don't have to look into music. It came to me. Not long after burn in it started to get lazy and I have to. seek to the sound. As I said before it became less engaging.

Not sure what happened though. I might save one pair and listen back after left it for a while to test

It still very good though. But I like it better when it's new.

Only thing i can imagine is its weirdly picky about cables but you can find ones that dont brighten up the sound and make the bass bigger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back