DIY Earbuds
Mar 15, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #331 of 4,707
Only thing i can imagine is its weirdly picky about cables but you can find ones that dont brighten up the sound and make the bass bigger.
I guess from your past suggestion it's the Kz cable?

Mar 15, 2017 at 5:31 PM Post #332 of 4,707
I had problem with qian39 rattling bass. Did the same. Slow blow into the driver. Help with qian but not working with she3800. We'll I guess now one of my she3800 not working at all it must be something else.

Have you tried to remove the front plate and check if you could still hear the rattling bass? If not enclosure the plate slowly to the shell. Also you can gently blow some air behind the driver from your mouth.

It may sound odd but I tried everything blowing to the driver,vacuuming and it worked on my SHE3800. You need to be patient while doing this lol

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #334 of 4,707
Might not mean anything to u guys but it means everything to me. I just did my first DIY buds! The Sony MDR E808+!!

First of all its a milestone for me having very limited soldering skills and no prior knowledge as to how making an earbud. Its like unexplored waters. Even though i dont know how it sounds (the drivers were replacement from taobao, and from the looks of it it aint the original E808+ drivers) now, i still feel awesome.

Anw really appreciate all of the comments here that helped alot. Special mention to @vapman. Vap bro, u are probably the one i look on to the most here, tho i am no basshead but u are the most active and the one who gave great advices!

And lastly, not going to stop here i guess as there are more unexplored waters but i shall swim around before going into deeper waters!

Edit: Other than testing here, anything else i need to test the buds for?

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #335 of 4,707
Might not mean anything to u guys but it means everything to me. I just did my first DIY buds! The Sony MDR E808+!!

First of all its a milestone for me having very limited soldering skills and no prior knowledge as to how making an earbud. Its like unexplored waters. Even though i dont know how it sounds (the drivers were replacement from taobao, and from the looks of it it aint the original E808+ drivers) now, i still feel awesome.

Anw really appreciate all of the comments here that helped alot. Special mention to @vapman. Vap bro, u are probably the one i look on to the most here, tho i am no basshead but u are the most active and the one who gave great advices!

And lastly, not going to stop here i guess as there are more unexplored waters but i shall swim around before going into deeper waters!

Edit: Other than testing here, anything else i need to test the buds for?

Looks good! Main thing is take your time. Easier not to have problems than it is to fix them.

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #336 of 4,707
Thanks @Brian Coffey! Am trying out the buds now. Probably getting all the playtime for the whole weekends
darthsmile.gif

Mar 16, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #338 of 4,707
@knudsen yeap i still have a few pairs that i cant bear to DIY yet. But to do a fast comparision it would be that the bass is not as apparent, still bassy tho. The sound isnt as forward as it is but after using the "blow in from the back and sucking in through the front" method it is much better, probably also due to my ears getting used to it lol

But i can only say it sound much brighter than the stock which is perfect for me at least!

And i tried to do the frequency test and it starts from 20hz to 18khz which is the same as the stock.

Oh ya and lastly i used some PTFE tape as in my home country getting DIY stuff (the thick silicone tape) is a pain in the ass. Anw the idea was to make the fit better (as the rubber rings made it too big) but it ended up being too big so i removed it lol

Mar 17, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #339 of 4,707
Just made my own RY04S! The driver is easier to drive than the E808+, the bass is boomier than the E808+. I have posted the sources in the spoiler with some a better pic of the E808+ and the KZ RY04S. Anw just a quick update on the E808+, the transition between the top, mid and bottom ranges are smoother than the stock itself. But there is something which is not as engaging as the stock as it sounded more laid back probably due to the cables(?)

Anw i think one of the most impt things for DIY is the solder. A decent solder helps so so much lol

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #340 of 4,707
What's the best cable (with microphone) for Monk and SHE3800 at around $20?

And what's the benefit of Rhodium jack?

Mar 17, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #341 of 4,707
I still haven't touch my e808+ might as well using old some old cable and reterminate. Time to reexamine my.

BTW last week I reterminate some old Nokia earbud from 2. 5 to 3.5. Lol sound too mid centric. I just toss it back to the drawer.

Mar 20, 2017 at 7:51 AM Post #342 of 4,707
Went to read the whole of this thread and there are so much valuable knowledge in the past pages and there are some things i would like to know more. Before i begin, really appreciate all the inputs in the thread! U guys are amazing!

Ok some noob questions
1) Is there a need for a digital multimeter? Currently i am using the red for right, green for left method which seem to be working thus far. I saw the braiding done by AudioNewbi3 and was amazed and also inspired to try. Tho not for now. So the thought process in my head is like is one of the wire for the earth and one for the +ve or -ve cable? If that's the case when doing braiding i can just label it before soldering them to a plug
2) For dampening trebles, do u guys put something outside the buds and use the foams to press onto it? Or open up the shell and put it infront of the plastic core? (Seem unlikely as it should in theory affect the vibration)
3) For compatibility, as i have bought some PK2 drivers and some other 15mm drivers, the shells were not compatible. I saw vapman rewired the K64 and changed it with the Qian39 shell. For that do we have use glue to fix it back?
4) If yes to [3], what glue is recommended?
5) Lastly and just to confirm, is a normal hairdryer enough to melt the glue in the earbud?

Sry for the long post but right now i am still amazed at the sound that i can get from the buds that i have. Am still trying to find ways to make the soundstage more forward as i kinda enjoy that. The PK2 that i have are crazy bright so i might try to get a thin piece of serviette infront to try dampening the trebles.

Bass wise i did try to put some blue tack and cotton in the shell (PK2 mod). Did made the bass meatier but didnt affected the brightness.

And lastly i hate to say but i feel like all my IEM purchases to date is a waste of money (except the Tennmak Pro which has decent isolation and great soundstage, tho dark). Hence i am probably offloading some of those to make space for 'priorities' lol

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:11 AM Post #343 of 4,707
A digital multimeter is useful but wont help a lot for earbud building unless you want to know wire resistance or look for continuity.

You need glue or something to mix a yuin shell and 15mm driver cover yeah.

K64 and q39 are both 15mm so they fit. But i also sent my k39/64 mod to tinkertailor who has had it for months.

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #344 of 4,707
A digital multimeter is useful but wont help a lot for earbud building unless you want to know wire resistance or look for continuity.

You need glue or something to mix a yuin shell and 15mm driver cover yeah.

K64 and q39 are both 15mm so they fit. But i also sent my k39/64 mod to @tinkertailor who has had it for months.

Thanks vap bro! That helps alot! I have the same K64 white cables (which was bright and no hint of bass) and of course the Qian39. But the qian 39 is a tad pricey hence i am having a hard time deciding whether to give it the mod lol

Mar 20, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #345 of 4,707
Went to read the whole of this thread and there are so much valuable knowledge in the past pages and there are some things i would like to know more. Before i begin, really appreciate all the inputs in the thread! U guys are amazing!

Ok some noob questions
1) Is there a need for a digital multimeter? Currently i am using the red for right, green for left method which seem to be working thus far. I saw the braiding done by AudioNewbi3 and was amazed and also inspired to try. Tho not for now. So the thought process in my head is like is one of the wire for the earth and one for the +ve or -ve cable? If that's the case when doing braiding i can just label it before soldering them to a plug
2) For dampening trebles, do u guys put something outside the buds and use the foams to press onto it? Or open up the shell and put it infront of the plastic core? (Seem unlikely as it should in theory affect the vibration)
3) For compatibility, as i have bought some PK2 drivers and some other 15mm drivers, the shells were not compatible. I saw vapman rewired the K64 and changed it with the Qian39 shell. For that do we have use glue to fix it back?
4) If yes to [3], what glue is recommended?
5) Lastly and just to confirm, is a normal hairdryer enough to melt the glue in the earbud?

Sry for the long post but right now i am still amazed at the sound that i can get from the buds that i have. Am still trying to find ways to make the soundstage more forward as i kinda enjoy that. The PK2 that i have are crazy bright so i might try to get a thin piece of serviette infront to try dampening the trebles.

Bass wise i did try to put some blue tack and cotton in the shell (PK2 mod). Did made the bass meatier but didnt affected the brightness.

And lastly i hate to say but i feel like all my IEM purchases to date is a waste of money (except the Tennmak Pro which has decent isolation and great soundstage, tho dark). Hence i am probably offloading some of those to make space for 'priorities' lol

If you are talking about SHE3800 then Monk cable can bring the mids a bit upfront since the stock cable is not good to start with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back