DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 29, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #751 of 10,535
Regarding the individual wires after desleeving, which are more flexible, canare l-e46s or mogami w-2534? I'm wondering if it's worth double the price. And these will be used sleeved through 550 cord

I have both at home. When I get home in a few hours I'll compare to refresh my memory and I'll post again.

Oct 29, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #752 of 10,535
Regarding the individual wires after desleeving, which are more flexible, canare l-e46s or mogami w-2534? I'm wondering if it's worth double the price. And these will be used sleeved through 550 cord

I have both at home. When I get home in a few hours I'll compare to refresh my memory and I'll post again.

Ok so I stripped a length of both. By "Canare l-e46s" I'm assuming you mean the l-4e6s. 

You'll notice right off the bat that the mogami is thicker because the inner conductor wires are 24 awg instead while the canare seems to be a smaller 26 awg thought I cannot confirm it from the spec sheet. 

Anyway, Both sets of conductors supposedly use the cross-linked PE insulation so that should be the same. However, when touching and bending them, it is clear that the mogami is softer and more pliable than the canare. Just as a secondary source I asked my wife to touch and bend both sets of conductors. Afterwards I took them away and asked which was more flexible; She said the Mogami. I let her feel again and she confirmed her initial answer. 

I won't try and speculate why this is the case, but it's what I found.

The reason the Mogami cost more is likely due to it being a thicker cable (more material) and also the copper shielding instead of the the aluminium? shielding in the canare S version. 

Now, that is simply a comparison between the two. In general, I find both to be fairly stiff and memory prone. 

I've always been really impressed with some of the offerings from PlusSound. Specifically the regular 7N silver-plated copper that runs $1.50/ft very much surprised me with its flexibility and overall softness of the insulation. I picked up enough for a CIEM cable after feeling it. It uses PE as well, but for some reason feels quite a bit softer and much less memory prone and stiff. 

They also have a copper version that boasts 75 strands. I really liked the flexibility it offered. 

But both of those are quite a bit more expensive.

Personally I like to use the Canare L-4E5C mini version for most things. I think it fits well within the sleeving and the conductors appear to be 28 awg. They are thinner, and in turn more flexible than the larger version. It's $0.48/ft from Redco you don't lose much trying it.
Alternatively, I really like using the Mogami counterpart which is the W2893. It's $0.83/ft, quite a step up but still very reasonable. Like it's bigger brother, I find it a little bit more flexible and soft compared to the Canare counterpart. However, when the two are sleeved, you won't notice much of a difference if any. 

I recommend that whatever you order to add on a few feet of the others to see for yourself. That's the reason I have these on hand. I prefer the mini cables, but those that you asked about are also very useful depending on your preference. 

Oct 29, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #754 of 10,535
Definitely order a foot or two of the larger ones in the same order. You might find that you disagree and want those for future orders. If that is possible from the vendor you choose, otherwise think about it for another order.

Nov 2, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #755 of 10,535
So I want to make a braided cable for the K702 (65th anniversary). Obtaining the plugs locally will not be a problem, but I can't find the right wiring. 
I'm either looking at some nice OFC wiring or silver wiring, but I need the store to be Europe based! Does anyone know a good european ebay seller, or store where they sell such wiring?

Nov 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM Post #759 of 10,535
Nov 3, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #761 of 10,535
Nov 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM Post #762 of 10,535
I would buy an assortment. It's a lot cheaper that way, and once you get into this hobby, god knows you'll need them

Good advise, it goes way faster than you might think. Tons of different boutique parts carriers offer heatshrink too, so you can easily add it to your order. Kimber, Partsconnexion, Percy Audio, Soniccraft, etc. I generally get most of mine from Wirecare.com as the prices are quite competitive. 

Also, in a pinch, Home Depot caries some assorted packs. 

Nov 4, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #763 of 10,535
Can someone explain to me why people use 4 wires in applications like 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables? Since there's the right, left, and ground, where does that 4th wire come into play and how does it help?

Nov 4, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #765 of 10,535
Can someone explain to me why people use 4 wires in applications like 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables? Since there's the right, left, and ground, where does that 4th wire come into play and how does it help?

I am also very curious about this

It does nothing sonically. It is a preference based on style. Some people like how a 4-strand round braid looks compared to three.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back