DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 4, 2013 at 9:48 AM Post #766 of 10,535
It does nothing sonically. It is a preference based on style. Some people like how a 4-strand round braid looks compared to three.

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I was considering doing another cable but given that adding another wire would add around $8ish to the cost, I think I'll just stick with 3 wire braids :p

Nov 4, 2013 at 10:24 AM Post #767 of 10,535
  So I want to make a braided cable for the K702 (65th anniversary). Obtaining the plugs locally will not be a problem, but I can't find the right wiring. 
I'm either looking at some nice OFC wiring or silver wiring, but I need the store to be Europe based! Does anyone know a good european ebay seller, or store where they sell such wiring?

Toxic Cables is based in the UK and does sell on ebay.  Might be a good bet.

Nov 4, 2013 at 1:17 PM Post #768 of 10,535
Cool, thanks for clearing that up. I was considering doing another cable but given that adding another wire would add around $8ish to the cost, I think I'll just stick with 3 wire braids :p

You're welcome. Save the money. When you are planning on using expensive cabling it's a no brainer.

What special to Toxic Cables ? What better to common cables ? I search some for my 701

That is a question without a concrete answer. It's a question that probably belongs in the sound science area. 

I would say it's more about personal preference and availability. Toxic cables also has a good reputation in this community so that probably plays a role in people wanting to buy from a trustworthy source. Also, there are people who believe that expensive cables offer benefits over others and choose accordingly. Again, that discussion is better suited for the sound science section. 

All that being said, I think the best person to answer that question is Frank. He owns and runs Toxic cables. No person would be better suited to explaining the cables that he offers than him. After that, you can decide for yourself. GL

Nov 4, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #771 of 10,535
Could someone point me to an excellent source of OCC copper and silver, both solid and stranded at competitive prices? Thanks!

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #772 of 10,535
  Check his eBay listings.  There are many people who have gotten lengths of wire from him, and I know he sells them.

I am currently not listing on eBay, i stopped a few months ago, so i could concentrate on making cables.

My site currently does not have any DIY gear listed. If no one minds, i can make up a list sometime this week, with some of the things i offer, along with prices and post it here. Hopefully when the site is updated, i will get all the DIY items listed.

Anyone interested in anything, can PM me with their requirements. I am extremely busy at present, so please allow some time for replies to PM's.

Nov 5, 2013 at 3:55 PM Post #773 of 10,535
  I am currently not listing on eBay, i stopped a few months ago, so i could concentrate on making cables.

My site currently does not have any DIY gear listed. If no one minds, i can make up a list sometime this week, with some of the things i offer, along with prices and post it here. Hopefully when the site is updated, i will get all the DIY items listed.

Anyone interested in anything, can PM me with their requirements. I am extremely busy at present, so please allow some time for replies to PM's.

That would be great. Please do post it here. I'm sure there are a lot of members that would appreciate a current list. Good luck with the backlog.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #776 of 10,535
  guys ... balanced cable make much difference? would use with O2 + HD600
would be a bad idea to use with 3.5mm plug?

thanks so much !

I don't think balanced cables do much without a balanced amplifier.

Anyways, has anyone tried the btg audio copper cable? I used their spc a while back. I'm debating between a 3 wire braid of plussound up-occ copper and a 4 wire braid of the btg stuff since its a lot cheaper.
-I guess this is more of a question of how it looks and feels. I'm not sure how large the impact on sound would be or whether its worth that much more in terms of cost.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #777 of 10,535
  guys ... balanced cable make much difference? would use with O2 + HD600
would be a bad idea to use with 3.5mm plug?

thanks so much !

Anyways, has anyone tried the btg audio copper cable? I used their spc a while back. I'm debating between a 3 wire braid of plussound up-occ copper and a 4 wire braid of the btg stuff since its a lot cheaper.
-I guess this is more of a question of how it looks and feels. I'm not sure how large the impact on sound would be or whether its worth that much more in terms of cost.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:41 PM Post #778 of 10,535

thanks ... I will not buy so ... is very expensive to import to Brazil, only buy if greatly improve the sound :)

Nov 5, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #779 of 10,535

I think that the wire looks significantly better than btg's stuff but that is the difference in price.  Weather it sounds better or not is very very debatable.  If you are going to put paracord or techflex over it though you won't be able to see the wires anyway so looks of the cables won't matter.  What I also found is that plussound's cables are easier to work with than BTG's.  

What you are going to do next is up to you.  either way post pictures 
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 5, 2013 at 10:43 PM Post #780 of 10,535

So they are pretty different in terms of stats.
Plussound is 28 awg, OCC, 10 strands.
BTG  ------- is 26 awg, OFC, 30 strands.

Most people won't notice a difference at all. Keep in mind that the BTG cable is simply custom ordered Mogami cable. I don't see that as a bad thing though. I use Mogami for 80% of the cables/interconnects I make. With Brian's, you get the benefit of having black/copper sleeving and no kinks in the wire if you plan on separating the individual conductors. 

I've used different cables from both companies. I think I've tried almost all of their different DIY offerings except for the silver+gold from PlusSound. I've found that I like all off their cables for different types of projects.

In your case, I would suggest simply ordering some Canare/Mogami and stripping it/sleeivng it. You could save a lot of money and still get all of the benefits. However, if you prefer the look(color) of the sleeving from Plussound or BTG, or want un-kinked wire for braiding, then try the BTG as it will offer more strands for your $. Less chance of the cable breaking/failing. 

If you want to compare OCC against some of your current OFC cables/interconnects to decide if you can hear/like one more than the other, then get some Plussound and see if those 7Ns are you cup of tea. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back