DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM Post #61 of 10,535
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #62 of 10,535
Aug 14, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #63 of 10,535
I'm so glad this is here.  Ok, so I had posted this on the Cable Gallery thread before knowing about this thread:

what cable would you suggest if I were going for a braided look?  I mean like where you can see through to the wire.

I want to make my first braided cable but I'm not sure what type of wire I would need or how much.

I want a 5ft braid to be used on a male-male 3.5mm connector, so i dont know if I need a 4 wire braid or not.

Well, I ended up going with doublehelix cable (http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=114) because it was cheap and the guy has been kind enough to braid the cable for me (I want to learn but dont want to mess up this time).  He's doing a 4-strand braid, so I assume for a regular male-male 3.5mm jack, I would just wrap 2 strands together as the ground, and then use the other 2 for the left and right?

I'm looking to go with a connector to fit my Beyer Custom One Pro's - though I may need to shave off that little plastic bit inside the can:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/uploads/pics/Custom_One_Anschluss_1.jpg

Now I just need some idea for a nice TRS jack to use, because I want this to be a pretty nice looking cable.  I was thinking of the viablue t6s small connectors, but sweet jesus those things are a fortune.

I'd appreciate any ideas

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:57 PM Post #64 of 10,535
Quote:
I'm so glad this is here.  Ok, so I had posted this on the Cable Gallery thread before knowing about this thread:

Well, I ended up going with doublehelix cable (http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=114) because it was cheap and the guy has been kind enough to braid the cable for me (I want to learn but dont want to mess up this time).  He's doing a 4-strand braid, so I assume for a regular male-male 3.5mm jack, I would just wrap 2 strands together as the ground, and then use the other 2 for the left and right?

I'm looking to go with a connector to fit my Beyer Custom One Pro's - though I may need to shave off that little plastic bit inside the can:
http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/uploads/pics/Custom_One_Anschluss_1.jpg

Now I just need some idea for a nice TRS jack to use, because I want this to be a pretty nice looking cable.  I was thinking of the viablue t6s small connectors, but sweet jesus those things are a fortune.

I'd appreciate any ideas

Hm, you may try the Vintage Audio Labs 3.5mm plug. I have some of their banana plugs and XLR plugs, and they are seriously nice pieces of hardware, excellent fit and finish. Think they can be had for about $10 shipped worldwide.

Aug 14, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #66 of 10,535
I got one of those Vintage Lab plugs, as I really, really liked them. Anyways, I took the grado cable off the drivers, but I melted a bit of the plastic ring around the driver, is this a problem? Also, I have a free grado cable up for grabs! All you have to do is pay shipping:)

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #69 of 10,535
Aug 15, 2013 at 12:15 AM Post #70 of 10,535
mmm didnt see that.  I actually think I'm going to hold off.  as much as I want a nice cable, I dont think atm I can really justify 50+ on a cable when there's nothing wrong with the one it comes with...

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:21 AM Post #71 of 10,535
I'm making cables for some other guys. Shoot me a PM sometime and we can discuss options.

Aug 15, 2013 at 12:41 AM Post #73 of 10,535
I'm looking to build a data/charging cable to charge my android phone. Does anybody know where to buy USB A and micro-USB B connectors? Would these work?

microUSB-B

USB A

Also.. How many wires are needed? is quad cable sufficient? I see that the A connector has 4 points while the micro has 5.. do I need an extra wire for data or something?

Aug 15, 2013 at 5:05 AM Post #74 of 10,535
Quote:
For putting 4 wires into a sleeving, specifically Techflex, 1/4" or 1/2"? Also, what type do you guys recommend?

Will you be using Techflex for a headphone cable?  If so, have you considered paracord?  I've done techflex before and there can be microphonics issues, as well as the Techflex feeling like there's a snake resting on your chest when you listen to headphones.  
eek.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #75 of 10,535
Quote:
Quote:
For putting 4 wires into a sleeving, specifically Techflex, 1/4" or 1/2"? Also, what type do you guys recommend?

Will you be using Techflex for a headphone cable?  If so, have you considered paracord?  I've done techflex before and there can be microphonics issues, as well as the Techflex feeling like there's a snake resting on your chest when you listen to headphones.  
eek.gif

I didn't like paracord at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back