DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Aug 16, 2013 at 11:38 AM Post #91 of 10,535
Quote:
Ya. I measured other cables and they were all around 1 ohm. Which makes sense due to my crappy HF multimeter. But all 3 channels rang in around 8 ohms. Stripping Mogami would be an option but it seems like a pain in the ass. 

It's not too hard.

Get a box cutter with an adjustable blade (I use one of those snap off blade cutters) and set it to a minimal depth, just enough to cut the rubber, then just run it along the cable.  If you do it right you will cut just the outer sheathing off.  After that, you can just strip the copper and paper coatings off.  Takes about 5 minutes to do ~5ft once you get the hang of it.

Aug 16, 2013 at 11:53 AM Post #92 of 10,535
Quote:
It's not too hard.

Get a box cutter with an adjustable blade (I use one of those snap off blade cutters) and set it to a minimal depth, just enough to cut the rubber, then just run it along the cable.  If you do it right you will cut just the outer sheathing off.  After that, you can just strip the copper and paper coatings off.  Takes about 5 minutes to do ~5ft once you get the hang of it.

Another way is to cut about 6 inches off the outer sheath and just pull the conductors out. So far it's worked with up to 4ft. Takes 30 secs. lol

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #94 of 10,535
Quote:
I can do it, I was just wondering if anyone sells just the copper clear wire....

Same I live in Malaysia and I can't seem to find anyone that sells these kinds raw cables like SPC or OFC or OCC. I'm currently thinking of buying OFC clear copper from BTG audio 0.80$ a foot. If someone knows a better place to find good quality copper cables let me know, at least 26AWG I guess.

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:25 PM Post #96 of 10,535
Quote:
Doublehelixcables.com, plussoundaudio.com were a couple of places. I know double helix is 24awg though

Ya DHC has 24awg and plussound has 26 and 28 awg.  You can also check ebay.  Artemis Cables has some nice stuff.  Also you can message toxic cables on headfi.  He has a bunch of different things as well.  

Aug 16, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #98 of 10,535
If you want silver plated copper Navships has a lot of different options but his cables are a bit stiff because they are coated in teflon.  Also it isn't high purity but its very good stuff.  Another seller is artemis cables.  Very high purity stuff and very very nice and flexible but a bit on the expensive side.  

Aug 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #99 of 10,535
need help to my first complex iem cable project.  What I try to do is make a semi universal iem cable that will enable me to use it with more than one iem.  Also, I like the idea of detachable cable at around the chest area(like Shure SE530).  So far I have been studying on parts needed to achieve this goal.  However, I still couldn't find the JH/westone style plug that will fit the JH16A(the one with JH-3A system)  I need exact jack type that they have with the stock cable as it needs to be plugged in side by side of another jack. 

This is what I need help of:

1. I still couldn't find the pin out diagram for the termination for JH16A with 8-pin mini-XLR.(termination of the first cable that connect to JH16A
2. the pin out for bottom part where the 8-pin mini-XLR to 3.5mm adapter cable.

Once I know this the pin out for 8-pin mini-XLR on the TG334 should be very simple as I can just separate it from 2 wire left and 2 wire right to match with the JH16A pin out.

Also, do you think this cable will work out ok? or will it degraded the signal quality since there are a few connectors and jacks?

Hope to hear from you guys

Thank you very much

Dan

Aug 17, 2013 at 5:32 AM Post #100 of 10,535
I bought some shielded cable for my amp (internal wiring) but I'm not sure how to connect it. Should I run ground on the shielding conductor or should I use one conductor/signal and the other conductor for ground. In that case I'd obviously have to ground the shielding on the source end.
Thanks a lot for your help!
20130817_115720.jpg

Aug 17, 2013 at 6:20 AM Post #101 of 10,535
Hey guys instead of paracord i found something called Colortrail sleeve good thing its available in my country is about 9USD for 10 meters. Apparently PC case modders use it for sleeving PSU cables and has a diameter of 3mm. Im guessing this should fit most cables right?

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #102 of 10,535
Quote:
I bought some shielded cable for my amp (internal wiring) but I'm not sure how to connect it. Should I run ground on the shielding conductor or should I use one conductor/signal and the other conductor for ground. In that case I'd obviously have to ground the shielding on the source end.

Some years back, I made some speaker cables from outdoor large extension cords.  The audiophile forums were going nuts when $8.00 worth of cord sounded just as good as $1,500 speaker cables.  Anywho, I ended up using both shielded wires for the (+) and the unshielded copper strand for the ground (-).  I'm not sure of all the details, but seem to recall in that situation it was recommended to wire as such.  Again, awhile back, but that's what I seem to remember.

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM Post #103 of 10,535
Quote:
need help to my first complex iem cable project.  What I try to do is make a semi universal iem cable that will enable me to use it with more than one iem.  Also, I like the idea of detachable cable at around the chest area(like Shure SE530).  So far I have been studying on parts needed to achieve this goal.  However, I still couldn't find the JH/westone style plug that will fit the JH16A(the one with JH-3A system)  I need exact jack type that they have with the stock cable as it needs to be plugged in side by side of another jack. 

This is what I need help of:

1. I still couldn't find the pin out diagram for the termination for JH16A with 8-pin mini-XLR.(termination of the first cable that connect to JH16A
2. the pin out for bottom part where the 8-pin mini-XLR to 3.5mm adapter cable.

Once I know this the pin out for 8-pin mini-XLR on the TG334 should be very simple as I can just separate it from 2 wire left and 2 wire right to match with the JH16A pin out.

Also, do you think this cable will work out ok? or will it degraded the signal quality since there are a few connectors and jacks?

Hope to hear from you guys

Thank you very much

Dan

There are 8-pin XLR connectors?!

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM Post #104 of 10,535
Hey, can someone help me with a 4 wire braid? Any guides?

Aug 17, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #105 of 10,535
Quote:
20130817_115720.jpg

The usual practice with interconnects, whether ex- or internal, is to connect the shield at the input end, but not at the output end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back