DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Sep 5, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #10,351 of 10,535
Has anyone here tried making a custom cable for the E-MU Teak? I heard the wiring on the 2.5mm end is diferent.
From what I've read they use Tip for + and Ring for -, nothing on the Sleeve. If you used a TS 2.5mm instead of TRS it should work fine.

Sep 5, 2022 at 12:10 PM Post #10,352 of 10,535
Hey I'm wondering if anyone here knows about premium resistors and which ones may reduce the volume somewhat on a headphone cable? I've got an amp that's emitting a low-freq. hum and largely ruining my experience. I've already tried everything in the book and even a few new tricks, but to no avail. for grounding, clean power, shielding, etc.

I'm looking for about a 10-20% volume reduction as to allow on the music to pass through, using a louder volume on the amp. The concept that embedded resistors would yield a more pure signal than an actual potentiometer in the path, and I would experiment with a few to see which works best. But I'm not sure which resistance value would be needed, which brand is the most premium reference sound, and about the schematics (which pins or if I need 2 or 4). It's for a Neutrik 4-pin balanced connection.

Probably I would need audiophile quality solder also?
I don't know much about fixing the hum, but when it comes to electronics nothing gets more premium than aerospace grade electronics, nothing of this audiofool stuff, pure performance. Also, prepare your wallet.

Sep 6, 2022 at 4:46 AM Post #10,355 of 10,535
Haha, not really. It's silly how regulated the aerospace industry is. Am I glad a bunch of fools design the electronics on the airplanes I seldom board.
As an ex BAe Systems engineer I would suggest that those 'fool-designed' aerospace electronics would be doing quite a good job of keeping you alive on your next flight.
:wink:

Sep 6, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #10,356 of 10,535
Think we can safely assume that putting a resistor or capacitor designed for an aeroplane into an amplifier is not going to be life threatening and I would go as far to say that a lot fewer people have died tinkering with their amplifier than have died due to air travel.

Sep 6, 2022 at 3:50 PM Post #10,357 of 10,535
I know this gets asked every 10 post or so, but I've been kind of intimidated by the options to buy pure silver cable in the US. So I'll just ask, which pure silver cables are you guys using?

I want to make an 8 wire pure silver cable; not because of sound properties, but bling. I am looking to make it my self as a fun side project and to save a bit of cash. I found this 10 wire silver cable from Lavricables:

https://www.lavricables.com/cables/10-core-braided-silver-litz-cable/

The 1.5 meter option it's in the ballpark of what I'm looking to spend on the raw cable...but the braid has 10 wires, 2 more than what I'm planning and I really have no idea what to do with those extra wires...do I just solder 3 for the ground on each headphone terminal? Untangle the braid, take out the extra wires and braid again?

I've also found this cable:

https://www.vhaudio.com/unicrystal-occ-silver-wire.html

To make the 1.5 meter cable I want out of the vhaudio cable, I'd have to spend 50 dollars more. Overall, I see the lavricables as the better deal but the 10 wires leave me flummoxed.

TL;DR.

1.5 meter, 10 Wire Lavricables
or
12 meter, single wire from vhaudio.
or
Something else.

Thank you in advance.

Sep 11, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #10,358 of 10,535
Hey guys, where can I find Lemo connectors??

Sep 11, 2022 at 2:02 PM Post #10,359 of 10,535
Sep 19, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #10,360 of 10,535
Has anyone here tried making a custom cable for the E-MU Teak? I heard the wiring on the 2.5mm end is diferent.
No idea mate.

Sep 19, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #10,361 of 10,535
Hey people, what's the pinout of lemo connectors for Utopia?

Sep 20, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #10,363 of 10,535
Oct 6, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #10,364 of 10,535
Where can I buy replacement headphone cable splits? My cat knawed up a blue dragon cable where the y-split/pants thing is and they haven’t responded as to supply another. I’m in the US and placed an order from doublehelix for some parts but they are still processing after days.

Oct 6, 2022 at 2:20 AM Post #10,365 of 10,535
IMG_5576-2.jpg

IMG_5575-2.jpg

Just made a 25-awg occ copper cable for my Z1R(It is double shielded as well), I put two wires inside a paracord and it sounds pretty nice, especially the bass has increased a lot. The vocal is a bit further than the original cable though, and it does not sound as clear as a silver cable. Next time I am going to use a silver-plated copper cable instead. The Eiodic connector looks nice though.

Also, does anyone has tips for cutting the paracord? After I cut it it always become fluffy and hard to put inside the connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back