DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Oct 25, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #10,381 of 10,535
Heat shrink them from the outside. It’s the only way to secure them properly.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #10,382 of 10,535
You should be able to get ground from the 4.4mm sleeve, unless it's not connected. In some cases you need to get ground from a 3.5mm socket.
Need them to connect ground to both files then?

Problem with 4.4mm is that often the don’t have sleeve internally…

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #10,383 of 10,535
Heat shrink them from the outside. It’s the only way to secure them properly.
Not really. The end screw cap gives adequate secure tight fit if enough internal heatshrink is used.
The clear heatshrink on the outside is'nt absolutely necessary and is there only to prevent the wire chafing against the connector.

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #10,384 of 10,535
First time hooking up some LEMO connectors for a client's Focal Utopia.
Usually used in the medical industry they're probably about as tricky as Sennheiser HD800 to terminate and make secure.
Came out good but I feel like the older I get the shakier my hands get, lol.
Happy client.
Very nice! I worked in medical equipment repair for 33 years and replacing Lemo connectors was a very laborious task. Great connectors, but agreed, as difficult as the HD800 ones to get a clean, stable connection.

And I also fully agree with the shaky hands... I have to get my roommate to do some of my soldering because of it. Maybe time to see if 'bionic' hands have progressed to a usable state! 🤣

Oct 25, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #10,385 of 10,535
Need them to connect ground to both files then?

Problem with 4.4mm is that often the don’t have sleeve internally…
I would try using the 4.4mm sleeve. Ideally you want ground to be connected on both ends and on both channels. If the device you are using doesn't have the 4.4mm sleeve connected to ground (some DAPs are like that), you need to get ground from somewhere else, usually people get ground from a 3.5mm socket given that it should be grounded.

Nov 3, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #10,387 of 10,535
Has anyone figured out what type of connectors IPX/T2 from estron/linum are? By which I mean industry standard name, (like MMCX) - or are they sui generis estron/linum product? Lunashops and Plussound have connectors but would be useful to know generic part type (if it has one).

Searching for IPX and T2 hasn't gotten me very far- perusing digikey/mouser etc... not much luck- closest I have seen is SSMB I think, but those don't have an o-ring and the detent ring looks a bit lower.

Did find this handy website in the process though https://connectorbook.com/identification.html?m=NNK&n=classes

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 2:00 AM Post #10,388 of 10,535
Hello,
I'm looking for a quality 3.5 trs connector for a hifiman. It needs to be slim like the pic.
I found a couple on ebay but they look cheap. Thank you!
s-l1600 (10).jpg

edit: I found these, but not sure they will fit?: https://www.redco.com/Redco-Male-3.5MM-Mini-TRS-Solder-Connector-Low-Profile.html
https://www.parts-express.com/connectors-adapters/audio-connectors/35-mm-mini-connectors/gender/Male

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:41 PM Post #10,389 of 10,535
Did everyone unsubscribe?

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #10,390 of 10,535
Nov 9, 2022 at 11:46 PM Post #10,391 of 10,535
why does it need to be thin? HifiMan doesn't have recessed plugs...
oh really? I don't have them yet, and read that some cables don't fit. I think some have a recessed, manufacture issue. Prob ok...Thank you

Nov 9, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #10,392 of 10,535
oh really? I don't have them yet, and read that some cables don't fit. I think some have a recessed, manufacture issue. Prob ok...Thank you
No worries :)

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #10,394 of 10,535
Thank you. Getting frustrated because I ordered cables at a place and wasn't happy with the shipping. I just bought it and tried to forget it. Now I'm back there looking at connectors with $10 shipping. I was trying to save money, but as usual I am losing. THEN later I read about hart cables after digging digging digging for a reasonable custom cable. Now I can't avoid hearing about them or being recommended. Sorry, frustrated. I might just order the stupid thing after all and have the parts for an extra.

Nov 10, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #10,395 of 10,535
Thank you. Getting frustrated because I ordered cables at a place and wasn't happy with the shipping. I just bought it and tried to forget it. Now I'm back there looking at connectors with $10 shipping. I was trying to save money, but as usual I am losing. THEN later I read about hart cables after digging digging digging for a reasonable custom cable. Now I can't avoid hearing about them or being recommended. Sorry, frustrated. I might just order the stupid thing after all and have the parts for an extra.
Hart cables are pretty popular(for a good reason too). I keep missing them on 2nd hand market at great prices. I ordered some connectors from Ali and decided to "mimic" hart cables. If you can bare the wait, Ali has pretty good selection and prices. Plus you will have your own diy custom cables perhaps cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back