DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 21, 2022 at 9:13 PM Post #10,231 of 10,535
Planning to make a nice, lightweight, flexible balanced cable for my T50 Argon. I'm looking for wire recommendations. I see lots of recs for AliExpress sellers, but I'm hoping to find someone in the US that ships quicker than AE does. Any recs? Thanks!
Can't go wrong with mogami, it's very easy to find and it's reasonably priced

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #10,233 of 10,535
What would be the easiest way to harvest just the 4 conductors out of a length of, say, 10ft of Mogami W2893?

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #10,234 of 10,535
If you just want the wires why not just purchase some mil-spec silver clad copper in PTFE on eBay? ...or maybe some NeoTech PC-OCC?

Otherwise I would lightly run a razor down the jacket of the Mogami, remove it, then shift and slide the mesh shielding off.

Feb 21, 2022 at 9:45 PM Post #10,237 of 10,535
If you just want the wires why not just purchase some mil-spec silver clad copper in PTFE on eBay? ...or maybe some NeoTech PC-OCC?

Otherwise I would lightly run a razor down the jacket of the Mogami, remove it, then shift and slide the mesh shielding off.
Not finding any US sellers. There's plenty from China, but it'd take a month to get here and I would like something faster. Picking up some Mogami W2893 from Redco would be great, but it doesn't look much more flexible or lighter than the Periapt cable I already have, which isn't flexible or light at all. So if I bought Mogami, I'd have to gut it and braid it.

I already have spools of this stuff laying around from my other hobbies:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJZ9XRR

It doesn't advertise itself as being intended for audio, nor did I originally buy it for that. But it's 26awg stranded (30 strands) oxygen-free copper and very flexible. Any reason not to just use this?

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #10,240 of 10,535
I have troubles on all of my rean/ neutrik connector with rubber strain relief. The rubber strain relief cannot be twisted all the way in and leave out some thread. I have been using them for years as is so there is no funcional problems. Its just annoying. Anyone has the same problem?
I jave neutrik angle 3.5 connector and rean mini xlr

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:17 AM Post #10,241 of 10,535
I have troubles on all of my rean/ neutrik connector with rubber strain relief. The rubber strain relief cannot be twisted all the way in and leave out some thread. I have been using them for years as is so there is no funcional problems. Its just annoying. Anyone has the same problem?
Cut the two metal strain relief prongs off

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #10,242 of 10,535
Sometimes I put on a pair of gardening gloves with the latex on them to give that final twist if it is giving me trouble. The latex gives you some extra grip.

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #10,243 of 10,535
Just a little tip. I worked in electronic distribution for years. all manufactures have sample programs. You can call Alpha wire for example (call and say your a small startup small talk the project potential qty the project will require once production starts, up etc and your are an engineer.) request sample of fit221 or TFT250 etc any tubing you need. they always send. works for any electronic mfg. connectors (ie amp) switches like microswitch arrow hart gray hill etc, Panduit. ymmv gl

Feb 22, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #10,245 of 10,535
It's probably because the plastic piece that goes inside the strain relief that pinches the cables is to tight

Users who are viewing this thread

Back