DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 17, 2021 at 7:33 PM Post #10,083 of 10,535
Highly doubt anyone has attempted this. Why don't you and report back? I'm sure you could make it work, maybe have a fine file on hand.
Shipping internationally is expensive nowadays, I'm reluctant to buy the Viablue not knowing if it will work, I'm worried about internal dimensions and tolerances but in theory it should work with a hole for the Neutrik to screw in, it would be nice to match the Viablue XLR to the Viablue 3.5 jacks so if no one knows I may try it myself.

Apr 18, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #10,085 of 10,535
Hello! I need som guidance here:) I received a OEAudio's Multi-Plug yesterday that im planning to use it on one of my cables. All my cables is either 4 or 8 core. How do i find out which cable that is R+, R-, L+, L-? The multiplug looks like this:20210417_094637.jpg

Do i need to buy myself a multimeter?
Yes you will need a multimeter to trace out those connections, any will do and you don't need something fancy or expensive.

If you don't know how to use a multimeter to check cables give this video a watch.

Apr 24, 2021 at 3:07 AM Post #10,087 of 10,535
Hey Benno1988

I recently used these connectors for a cable build and am really impressed with the build quality. Although likely a little larger than the Pentaconn barrel wise the price point is about the same and they have quality components.

The shoulder points for the wires seem more naturally laid out from my perspective.

https://www.aeco.tw/

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:03 AM Post #10,088 of 10,535
Hey Benno1988

I recently used these connectors for a cable build and am really impressed with the build quality. Although likely a little larger than the Pentaconn barrel wise the price point is about the same and they have quality components.

The shoulder points for the wires seem more naturally laid out from my perspective.

https://www.aeco.tw/
Can't see they make a Pentaconn?

Apr 24, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #10,091 of 10,535
I recently broke my TCA x AAW Project 4+2 stick cable at the primary connector (not saying it wasn't my fault but that was some weak solder...)

Planning to re-terminate myself unless someone would rather get practice for cost of shipping to you and back (and I guess depending on the plug, cost of materials). If I can't get this done for ~$50 I'll just do it myself.

May 3, 2021 at 4:24 AM Post #10,092 of 10,535
Hi there
Quick question as I'm about to build another headphone cable. The design I have in mind is using both UPOCC silver wire and UPOCC copper. Would it make any difference if I combine silver and copper only for the signal line and stick with copper for the ground? Just trying to avoid unnecessary expenses :)
thanks!

May 13, 2021 at 1:36 AM Post #10,093 of 10,535
Has anyone done the shaped heatshrink for the earhook on IEM cables before?

Do you just heatshrink it and then bend it around a shaped block and let it cool down? I'll do some testing, but keen to have any tips if someone has already done the painful testing part.

May 13, 2021 at 5:58 AM Post #10,094 of 10,535
I use a solid wire inside to hold the shape. Either way I apply the heatshrink, let it cool off a bit and then reheat and bend. In my experience it prevents the heatshrinks from getting ugly marks. Another way would be wrapping your shape in a silicone mat.

May 13, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #10,095 of 10,535
I use a solid wire inside to hold the shape. Either way I apply the heatshrink, let it cool off a bit and then reheat and bend. In my experience it prevents the heatshrinks from getting ugly marks. Another way would be wrapping your shape in a silicone mat.
Have you tried a wore free version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back