DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jan 11, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #9,903 of 10,535
Jan 17, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #9,904 of 10,535
Hi all, hope I can get some help here. I looked through a few pages and searched but I couldn't find it, so please point me the post if it was posted already.

I am looking to make a 2.5mm TRRS to dual 3-pin XLR cable, but I am not sure which pin goes where. The 2.5mm is for a Fiio player, so it should be the same as A&K players. My understanding is that, from tip to sleeve, it would be R-, R+, L-, L+. Then for the 3pin XLR,
- T (R-) would go to pin 3 of the right connector
- first ring (R+) would go to pin 2 of the right connector
- second rig (L-) would go to pin 3 of the left connector; and
- S (L+) would go to pin 2 of the left connector

Pins 1 for both XLR connectors will not be connected to anything.

Please let me know if I got this right.

Thanks.

Jan 17, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #9,905 of 10,535
Hey everyone, so it's my first time doing a MMCX mod. I was just wondering if these earphone cables work with the MMCX female sockets that I have. I tried connecting them but they don't seem to lock in and I don't want to force them together too hard in worry of damaging any of the parts. I was just wondering if they were compatible or maybe I'm doing something wrong? Thanks

MMCX female socket

and

Earphone cables

Jan 28, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #9,907 of 10,535
If the AWG of two Litz wires are the same and the copper used is the same, it is better the one with more but thinner wires or the one with thicker but lesser wires inside? Same question for a non Litz cable?

Then, is better Type1 Litz or Type2 Litz?

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2021 at 10:12 AM Post #9,909 of 10,535
Hey! Where can i find parts on cables online?

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #9,911 of 10,535
I completely forgot about this thread and made my own topic. Here is what i needed to know.

I've always used Mogami or Canare cable, but this headphone cable is using Viablue EPC-4 which has 4 conductors wrapped in silvered foil, and around that is a braided silvered copper mesh shield, and then the jacket. I'm guessing that i should solder both the shield and foil to the sleeve along with the two ground conductors? And as per usual leave the mesh shield and foil floating at the splitter where i plan on just using the twisted wire wrapped in Viablue cable sleeve up to the headphone plugs? IIRC all the other cables ive made had either one or the other, not both shield and foil.
Viablue.png

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #9,913 of 10,535
I completely forgot about this thread and made my own topic. Here is what i needed to know.

I've always used Mogami or Canare cable, but this headphone cable is using Viablue EPC-4 which has 4 conductors wrapped in silvered foil, and around that is a braided silvered copper mesh shield, and then the jacket. I'm guessing that i should solder both the shield and foil to the sleeve along with the two ground conductors? And as per usual leave the mesh shield and foil floating at the splitter where i plan on just using the twisted wire wrapped in Viablue cable sleeve up to the headphone plugs? IIRC all the other cables ive made had either one or the other, not both shield and foil.
Viablue.png
I read an interesting article on the Benchmark site about AES cables and whether to tie the shield to the ground or not. I think they concluded (surprisingly) that for analog cables they don't but for AES/EBU cables they do. And they said it was about noise suppression for cases where people plugged multiple cables together in one cable run.

What plug is that? I've been irritated by Neutrik that they often do not (never?) drill the shield lug and expect us to anchor the ground lead in a pool of solder on the lug.

Feb 2, 2021 at 1:35 AM Post #9,914 of 10,535
It's a Viablue one. Pricey but nice.

Moon confirmed to me they tie the braided sheild to the ground at the amp end.

Then you get a bunch of connects that have the "directional" arrow, as they only ground the shield at the source end.

Feb 2, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #9,915 of 10,535
From what I've read, it seems it is half half. No one method seems to dominate people's thoughts on it. Though I did read to avoid the flaoting shield thing for RCA cables used on phono applications. Few seemed to agree it was noisy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back