DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 20, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #7,141 of 10,535
That was a very well thought out response, I am impressed. I do like the Neutrik four pin mini xlrs because they are well marked and I have never had one fail. I use them for a lot of pig tails so that I can have one cable going to headphones and plug into multiple devices by changing out connectors trading balanced for unbalanced as needed. I also like Amphenol and Switchcraft but I am more into long term usage and reliability than looks.

I have seen braiding described at litz braiding and it does probably qualify for that term since each wire goes to the outside of the braid an equal number of times if done properly so I understand the theory.

Sometimes the paracord sleeve is more for looks but I do think it helps protect the wires and makes the braided wires easier to hold a pattern.

You mentioned some good wire that can probably be located in other countries, I have several types I like but I am centrally located in the states and Belden is not far from me (they also make excellent cable and wire).

Tom

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:03 AM Post #7,142 of 10,535
That was a very well thought out response, I am impressed. I do like the Neutrik four pin mini xlrs because they are well marked and I have never had one fail. I use them for a lot of pig tails so that I can have one cable going to headphones and plug into multiple devices by changing out connectors trading balanced for unbalanced as needed. I also like Amphenol and Switchcraft but I am more into long term usage and reliability than looks.

I have seen braiding described at litz braiding and it does probably qualify for that term since each wire goes to the outside of the braid an equal number of times if done properly so I understand the theory.

Sometimes the paracord sleeve is more for looks but I do think it helps protect the wires and makes the braided wires easier to hold a pattern.

You mentioned some good wire that can probably be located in other countries, I have several types I like but I am centrally located in the states and Belden is not far from me (they also make excellent cable and wire).

Tom

I totally forgot about the Switchcraft mini-xlr. Actually, I like those better because they don't have the super-long boot that hangs off the end. They're pricey though, but I guess we're talking about an Audeze cable here :wink:

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #7,143 of 10,535
Amphenol makes a model that is nearly identical but it allows for larger cable to be used. I just ran into this on a 600 cable build.

That is always a factor, what size cable will you be working with and what does the connector allow? I just used 24 awg four strand inside the neutriks with little problem. I left out the shield ring that was inside because there was no shield to attach anyway and it made for an easier build.

I just made some RCA interconnect cables using the Mogami 2534 but I used shield and all, (shield attached to ground on one end only), they are above the five foot threshold that you mentioned and I try not to take chances with my home equipment. I am running out of space for amps so I needed to extend some cabling.

Jun 20, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7,144 of 10,535
Tom, this cable is just fantastic. There seems to be a bit more detail in the low-mids than with the stock Sennheiser cable but its very subtle and I'm not sure I could A/B the two. I'll keep you updated if this opinion changes. If your people start offering replacement headphone cables with this stuff I cant see anyone being disappointed with the quality or the sound. It is a bit microphonic though so if you move around while listening to quiet music it might bug some people, but I sit pretty still while using headphones so its a non-issue to me. Perhaps a sleeve on the main body of the wire would remove the microphonics but it could kill the look of the cable.

Jun 20, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #7,146 of 10,535
Tom, this cable is just fantastic. There seems to be a bit more detail in the low-mids than with the stock Sennheiser cable but its very subtle and I'm not sure I could A/B the two. I'll keep you updated if this opinion changes. If your people start offering replacement headphone cables with this stuff I cant see anyone being disappointed with the quality or the sound. It is a bit microphonic though so if you move around while listening to quiet music it might bug some people, but I sit pretty still while using headphones so its a non-issue to me. Perhaps a sleeve on the main body of the wire would remove the microphonics but it could kill the look of the cable.

I was going for the copper look of the cable myself to match an amp and headphones but I will experiment with some cotton and nylon sleeve I have. That occ copper retails for about $16 a foot but it is nice and compact and should accommodate 550 paracord.

I could build an A/B test setup for those with little trouble but I have been involved in other testing lately and I have people coming in this weekend so I need to get ready to show off some of my builds and get their impressions of amps, headphones, and cables.

Jun 20, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #7,147 of 10,535
@keberwein thanks a lot for the answer!

2) So the LCD uses standard female 4-pin mini XLR? Good to know.

4) If I choose sleeved, It'd go over the shielding, right? I saw different versions and I think this is what's going on inside (correct me if I'm wrong):

- Single thick sleeve over shielded wire.
- 4 thin sleeved wires in braid (I guess unshielded then sleeved individually?) like in the pic.
il_570xN.1255621715_2ur9.jpg

I like this second approach better than fully naked wire. How's the procedure with the wiring in this case?

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #7,148 of 10,535
There are plenty of posts in here on four wire braids, just do a search and I bet you get the answer.

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #7,150 of 10,535
You would need to remove the outside jacket on star quad cable if you are talking about removing the individual wires and then braiding them. I was answering a later question on "how's the procedure with this wiring", I thought you were asking about four wire braiding.

The search feature on here is indeed working.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,152 of 10,535
My fault on the misunderstanding, anyway if you get some small paracord and use the four wires from Canare or Mogami star quad you can pretty much build the cable in the photo. I would suggest using two colors of paracord if you have not braided before, it will make the first one go a lot easier. When using the copper OCC wire I used different heat shrink tubing colors to keep the wires straight, even with shrinkage they slid off the ends of the wires when I was done.

Tom

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #7,153 of 10,535
Sorry for the misunderstanding, the braiding procedure it's solved in the first page of the thread, 4 strand round braiding I guess.

Thanks for the answer @Paladin79

Since the parts are fairly cheap I'm not afraid to fail. I'll buy in excess just in case.

The cost of materials is very small compared to the price of a cable of similar quality . Make two! :)

Jun 20, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #7,155 of 10,535
Good sounding trick and trust me I have tried several methods. Depending on the paracord you can use a small piece of wire, double it over so it does not have a sharp point and then solder your wire carefully in between those two (solid wire works better), when you get it through just unsolder and use it for the next piece of paracord. and wire. The smaller the gauge wire, the smaller the tunnel it can traverse.

I am also working on a device that lets you slit the outside jacket of cable like star quad for fast removal of the inner wires. I have some projects where we have to lay open a couple feet of wire quickly to get to the wires inside and I have an adjustable method in mind.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back