DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #7,111 of 10,535
No problem, those are good irons and I use them on occasion and most are not as costly as a Weller station, I have one set up on the sinistral side of my workbench at home.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #7,112 of 10,535
Hi all, new to the board. Just completed a mod of some Beyerdynamic MMX300's to a detachable cable. I reused the old cable for the cable because I have some questions about the best way to go about making a custom cable. So to start this is a headset so it uses five wires. Red, Green, Copper, White, and the Ground. in the stock cable the cable shield is used as ground for the mic so I guess really it's a 4 conductor cable and they're using the jacket as a ground. My next task is going to be make a fully custom cable and get rid of the stock one. I've already purchased 50' of Mogami quad mic cable so couple of questions:
1) The female jack I mounted in the headset I've wired both the mic ground and speaker ground to the same pin, I see no way around this other than 4.4mm 5 pole jack which I can't seem to source and have never actually seen in use before, is this safe in the long run?
2) I know that Mogami makes some actual 5 conductor cable, is any of that worth exploring I would be better off stripping the quad I have now and making what I need from that?
2) What the best way to go about doing a 5 cable braid? should I twist the mic pair and sleeve as one? any suggestions here as this will be the first cable I make.

Thanks!

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #7,113 of 10,535
On star quad with a braid you do really have five conductors there counting the braid so you can use that for a common ground if you like. A lot of microphone cable is like that, two insulated wires and a braid. I am not sure what kind of 5 pole jack you are talking about but if you have a photo I can help. Hirose makes all sorts of good jacks and plugs that are compact but very reliable.
I have not done any five cable braids so I will not address that.

Tom

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:10 PM Post #7,114 of 10,535
Jun 15, 2017 at 5:18 PM Post #7,115 of 10,535
Yeah I am not sure about a female jack for that plug myself. That looks like a pretty large connector to be plugging into headphones. Look up Hirose four pin and five pin sometime, they are a lot smaller and readily available.
A normal TRS connector has two wires and braid or ground, unless you are building cables for a balanced system a shared ground is the norm.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #7,116 of 10,535
so 5 pole is TRRRS and is 4.4mm instead of 3.5mm with an additional pole:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/522882...ted-44mm-5-pole-trrrs?ref=shop_home_active_12

my problem is I cannot find a female jack equivalent to wire into the headset itself. If I'm safe with pairing both ground to one pin it's a none issue, however it would be nice if the possibility exists to have them on their own separate wire.

you can find one kind at lunashops.

http://www.lunashops.com/goods.php?id=5638

if I remember right someone in the WM1A/Z forum was able to come out with a custom case for this connector.

Jun 16, 2017 at 10:46 AM Post #7,117 of 10,535
Hello all,

I'm looking for someone in the UK able & willing to re-terminate a couple of iem cables for me (with a 2.5 mm balanced jack). Happy to pay obviously. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd much much obliged. Many thanks.

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:42 AM Post #7,118 of 10,535
So I made my first cable using Mogami 2534 but almost nothing went as planned. I bought 550 paracord to sleeve the main jacket which took a long time only for my y split cover not to fit. The pair of wiring going to my left side decided to untwist itself after I terminated it. I ended up buying 10 ft of cable just in case and have about 4.5ft left.

My plan now is to remove all 4 wire and sleeve them individually, then braid. Mogami has the insulation measured at Ov. Dia.(mm) 1.6Ø (0.063"). So would i need type 95 paracord or there something better to stop the wiring from sliding?

Jun 17, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #7,119 of 10,535
I have not had much experience with twisted pair untwisting themselves but I have generally used paracord over such pairs.

The 95 paracord sounds correct for that size wire, I have also used clear heat shrink tubing over twisted pair to keep the twists uniform. This is eight wire cable with four wires to each side. IMG_1927.JPG

Jun 17, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #7,120 of 10,535
So I made my first cable using Mogami 2534 but almost nothing went as planned. I bought 550 paracord to sleeve the main jacket which took a long time only for my y split cover not to fit. The pair of wiring going to my left side decided to untwist itself after I terminated it. I ended up buying 10 ft of cable just in case and have about 4.5ft left.

My plan now is to remove all 4 wire and sleeve them individually, then braid. Mogami has the insulation measured at Ov. Dia.(mm) 1.6Ø (0.063"). So would i need type 95 paracord or there something better to stop the wiring from sliding?
Yes, 95lb. I get my stuff from Paracord planet.

I have never understood how two wires twisted between the Y and the tips doesn't routinely come untwisted. For the cables I've made with 4 wires (two per channel), I've sleeved in nylon multifiliment. That said, a guy just posted the cable you are thinking about making to the DIY Cable Gallery thread.

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:01 PM Post #7,121 of 10,535
Two wires twisted with paracord hold quite well. Without the paracord, or clear heat shrink tubing or the like, you will have issues. Often I will just switch over to miniature microphone wire at that point, cover it with paracord and it remains round, twists are inside the jacket and it makes for a very clean appearance. Oh and electrically it works quite well.

IMG_1972 (1).JPG

Jun 17, 2017 at 12:17 PM Post #7,122 of 10,535
Here is an example of keeping the integrity of the star quad cable together and still splitting for two channels using heat shrink tubing:IMG_1973.JPG

Jun 17, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #7,124 of 10,535
That sommer cable square 4-core mk2 cable looks really interesting. how flexible did you find the individual conductors? Is is really 102 strands per conductor?

Have Inc has this cable, but their shipping cost is outrageous. I called to talk to them about it, left a message, and never heard back. I'm not impressed with them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back