DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Apr 4, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #6,706 of 10,535
I'm not 100% sure, but I thin these are the ones from markertek
http://www.markertek.com/product/hr10a7p4p/hirose-hr10a-7p-4p-4-pin-male-push-pull-connector-with-7mm-male-shell
They are $16 each. From mrspeakers they are $7 each plus 3 for shipping, so cheaper from my speakers. For the female, you can get them eBay or markertek, but they will be cheaper from eBay. They might be clones, but they are as good or good enough.

MrSpeakers uses E-Valucon but in some ways I like them better than the Hirose. They will interchange and both work very well. I do not pay the $16 from Markertek and as i recall Allied Electonics has the Hirose as well and probably Digikey or Mouser. It is always good to shop around for such parts. I must have a half dozen cables made with those connectors and none has ever failed me.

Just received some mesh pencil holders that I will use to make protective outside covers for some open headphones I am modifying. Thanks go to Allanmarcus for the suggestion.

Apr 4, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #6,707 of 10,535
  Thanks, I was wondering about if they were "typical" Switchcraft. I have a pile of the Rean ones and Neutrik, and I don't care for how big the shell hole is in the Reans. At least the Switchcraft ones have a grommet which should do the trick.

Do these pictures help? I have the grommets sitting under the plugs on mine. They couldn't fit over the thick heat shrink and I couldn't be bothered to enlarge the hole. I also like the look better that way.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #6,708 of 10,535

Do these pictures help? I have the gommets sitting under the plugs on mine. They couldn't fit over the thick heat shrink and I couldn't be bothered to enlarge the hole. I also like the look better that way.

That is an example of where we use a soldering iron to enlarge the grommet if need be but if the cable is large enough we just remove it, that connector has a 1/4 inch opening in the actual metal headshell which makes it great for a lot of the microphone and star quad cable we use. The fact it has an extended tip can be great as well for plugging into phones and ipads with cases on them.

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #6,710 of 10,535
Apr 4, 2017 at 2:23 PM Post #6,712 of 10,535
That is a very good price and I have no qualms using that connector over the Hirose. It has gold pins where the Hirose might be silver or nickel plated.

I'm going to reterminate the headphone side of my hifiman he500s to remove the screw connector. Would these be a good option? Or do you guys have any other recommendations? Also, do you know what diameter hole you need to fit these jacks?

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #6,713 of 10,535
I'm going to reterminate the headphone side of my hifiman he500s to remove the screw connector. Would these be a good option? Or do you guys have any other recommendations? Also, do you know what diameter hole you need to fit these jacks?
I don't think they will work with grinding the outside of the cup. Though I don't have the 500's I think the 400 is close in shape. Here is a pick of my 400's and Ether-C's that use the connectors.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:09 PM Post #6,714 of 10,535

The hole opening on my alpha primes with that jack is right at 12 mm diameter, you have to have room for the connector to latch. They are one of my favorite connectors, they latch down and you have to push to release them. It is real obvious when they lock into place.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #6,715 of 10,535
  Thanks Tom.

I'm bored and putting together a list of places to get DIY stuff. Here's what I have so far. I'm maintaining the list on the site linked in my signature.

Anyone else have a good place to get stuff?

List of places for general supplies:
  1. Markertek 
  2. Redco
  3. DigiKey
  4. Have Inc.
  5. Harbor Freight
  6. HomeDepot or Lowes or your local hardware store
  7. Amazon
  8. eBay
  9. Parts Connexion
  10. Parts Express
  11. Mouser Electronics
  12. Allied Electronics
  13. MonoPrice (more for pre-built stuff and speaker wire)
  14. Cables for Less (more for pre-built stuff)
Speciality
  1. Furutech
  2. PlusSound
  3. Double Helix
  4. LunaShops (last resort as they stuff is slow to get to you and poor quality)
  5. Paracord Planet
  6. Wirecare (for sleeving)

Nice list. In the DIY and Mods section of the HeadFi Wiki you'll find many of these part suppliers and more in the Do it Yourself Links article.

Please feel free to update the article with new information as needed.

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:27 PM Post #6,716 of 10,535
  Nice list. In the DIY and Mods section of the HeadFi Wiki you'll find many of these part suppliers and more in the Do it Yourself Links article.

Please feel free to update the article with new information as needed.

Holy crap! I didn't even know that was there. Thanks!

Apr 4, 2017 at 5:38 PM Post #6,718 of 10,535
Apr 4, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #6,719 of 10,535

Even 3.5 mm does not take up too much room if you find the right configuration. Diameter here is a total of 5 mm.

Apr 7, 2017 at 7:45 PM Post #6,720 of 10,535
Here is my first attempt at making a cable for my headphone. The cable is currently hardwired to the driver wires.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back