DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Feb 26, 2017 at 6:53 PM Post #6,346 of 10,535

There are many XRL connectors. Some have 3 and some have 4. What are you trying to make?

Looking to create a 6' Headphone cable for Senn 650 to  Kubiconn

Also how many wires does a SE have

I have a SE cable and someone else has the same SE cable I have. So t will all be the same wire. If you need 4 wires for Kubiconn I can use both cables and turn it into a balanced Kubiconn

I need to see a diagram on how to wire it.

Feb 26, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #6,347 of 10,535

There are many XRL connectors. Some have 3 and some have 4. What are you trying to make?

Looking to create a 6' Headphone cable for Senn 650 to  Kubiconn

Also how many wires does a SE have

I have a SE cable and someone else has the same SE cable I have. So t will all be the same wire. If you need 4 wires for Kubiconn I can use both cables and turn it into a balanced Kubiconn

I need to see a diagram on how to wire it.

SE has three. One common and two positive.

If you have an HD650, your cable very likely has four wires. 

You may have to use a multimeter to figure that out.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #6,348 of 10,535
I built a 4 pin xlr cable for my HE 560s and I am getting some crossfeed between the two channels. Anyone care to hazard a guess why this is happening? I've done continuity tests between the pins and none of them made the meter ring

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #6,349 of 10,535
Can you post some pictures of the joints? Any details you can provide on the parts you used or details on how you constructed could help us.

Feb 26, 2017 at 9:42 PM Post #6,350 of 10,535
I figured it out.  The negative connection on both channels had broken at one point, so I decided to just redo the connections after the Y split.  Turns out that when I did this, I swapped the left and right negative channels.  After having done the pinout correctly the first time, I goofed and wasn't sufficiently meticulous the second time.  I'll post some pictures shortly though, I'm proud of it for it being my first cable.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:16 PM Post #6,351 of 10,535

Nees to work on my braid quality. Got my wire from a starquad mic cable and as such the wires had a pretty significant spiral to them. I'd like to buy straighter wire for future builds. I also used electrical tape as a stand in for heat shrink

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:40 PM Post #6,352 of 10,535

Nees to work on my braid quality. Got my wire from a starquad mic cable and as such the wires had a pretty significant spiral to them. I'd like to buy straighter wire for future builds. I also used electrical tape as a stand in for heat shrink

Not bad for a first cable. I wouldn't let anyone see my first interconnect pair! You will get better as time goes on and develop your own 'style'. Well done.

Feb 26, 2017 at 10:54 PM Post #6,353 of 10,535

Yes I just checked 4 wires, 2 wires going to red prongs for headphone end and 2 wires going to the black prongs for headphone end

Is each of the two wires one + and -  going in to the black  and  red.

Would I just need to solder  onto the Kubiconn  the  proper  positive &  negative poles of those 4 wires removing the SE connector that is on there now

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:02 PM Post #6,354 of 10,535
  Yes I just checked 4 wires, 2 wires going to red prongs for headphone end and 2 wires going to the black prongs for headphone end

Is each of the two wires one + and -  going in to the black  and  red. Just checking, as nothing need to be done at that end It's the SE end that needs to be replaced

Would I just need to solder  onto the Kubiconn  the  proper  positive &  negative poles of those 4 wires removing the SE connector that is on there now

Feb 26, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #6,355 of 10,535

Is each of the two wires one + and -  going in to the black  and  red.

Yep, that should be it.

Feb 27, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #6,357 of 10,535
oh Kobiconn, no wonder I had not heard of Kubiconn.
L3000.gif

Feb 27, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #6,358 of 10,535
Could anyone recommend a good quality 2.5mm TR plug, specifically one that doesn't have a stepped-down barrel/sleeve (AKA extended collar)?

Eidolic has one that is TR but has an extended collar:
http://www.eidolic.com/Eidolic-Hifi-Audio-Headphone-Connectors-Oppo-PM-1-Sennheiser-hd-700-hd700-2-5-mono.html

And they have one that doesn't have the extended collar, but it is TRRS:
http://eidolic.com/Eidolic-Hifi-Audio-Headphone-Connectors-2-5_new2.html

The closest thing I've been able to find is the 850x series from Switchcraft. It would work, but I was hoping for something a lot sexier:
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=370

(Ideally, I'd also like to find one that's easy to solder for an old geezer with less-than-stellar fine motor control and vision.) 

Thanks for any recommendations!

Feb 27, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #6,359 of 10,535
  Could anyone recommend a good quality 2.5mm TR plug, specifically one that doesn't have a stepped-down barrel/sleeve (AKA extended collar)?

Eidolic has one that is TR but has an extended collar:
http://www.eidolic.com/Eidolic-Hifi-Audio-Headphone-Connectors-Oppo-PM-1-Sennheiser-hd-700-hd700-2-5-mono.html

And they have one that doesn't have the extended collar, but it is TRRS:
http://eidolic.com/Eidolic-Hifi-Audio-Headphone-Connectors-2-5_new2.html

The closest thing I've been able to find is the 850x series from Switchcraft. It would work, but I was hoping for something a lot sexier:
http://www.switchcraft.com/productsummary.aspx?Parent=370

(Ideally, I'd also like to find one that's easy to solder for an old geezer with less-than-stellar fine motor control and vision.) 

Thanks for any recommendations!

The Switchcraft has solder lugs; they are in my opinion easier to solder than those made with cylinders separated by plastic. Personally I would use the Switchcraft over most Chinese connectors, they are guaranteed for 10,000 insertions and the quality is top notch. The body of the connector is also available in the color red so using two of those connectors it would be very easy to designate right channel.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #6,360 of 10,535
Could I get a quick confirmation if this would work as I'm planning. I want to mod one of my headphones to take detachable cables but I don't want to have to mark the cable with L/R. Could I connect the drivers to a pair of 3.5mm TRS females, left would be soldered to the tip only, right would be soldered to the ring only. The cable itself will be terminated with two 3.5mm on one end and a 6.3mm on the other end. For the 3.5mm male connectors I will wire both tip and ring. 

Would this wiring plan allow me to just plug the cable in and not care about left and right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back