DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Dec 29, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #6,166 of 10,535
I am going to build cable for HifiMan HE-400i. I am going for 4 wire balanced with 4-pin XLR. 

Anyone with experience or knowledge in balanced cable making can please confirm that I am not making any mistake. I am bit confused with ground in unbalanced setup. For XLR to 3.5 mm TRS, I have to connect both L- & R- to ground of TRS. Please someone confirm I am not making any mistake in connection.

Dec 30, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #6,167 of 10,535
I am going to build cable for HifiMan HE-400i. I am going for 4 wire balanced with 4-pin XLR. 

Anyone with experience or knowledge in balanced cable making can please confirm that I am not making any mistake. I am bit confused with ground in unbalanced setup. For XLR to 3.5 mm TRS, I have to connect both L- & R- to ground of TRS. Please someone confirm I am not making any mistake in connection.

Looks right to me, and yes to go from a balanced 4 pin XLR to an unbalanced TRS, you'd connect pins 2 and 4 to the TRS Sleeve, Pin 1 to the Tip and Pin 3 to the Ring.

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #6,168 of 10,535
I am looking to build a cable for my IEMs, done the cabling before for another project but having trouble with connectors.

They use the MMCX standard for connection to the IEM but I'm finding it difficult to find the right shure type MMCX jacks, can I use any MMCX type connectors? Does anyone have any recommendations for MMCX connectors easily available in the UK/ Europe?

Thanks. 

Dec 31, 2016 at 4:38 PM Post #6,169 of 10,535
I hope everyone has a great New Year!

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #6,170 of 10,535
Hi all. I've ordered the parts to make a cable for my Sennheiser IE80's. I haven't received everything but at the minute I'm not sure which pin is to be soldered to the positive and which to the negative, on the earbud pin. Can anyone help?

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:37 PM Post #6,171 of 10,535
Hi all. I've ordered the parts to make a cable for my Sennheiser IE80's. I haven't received everything but at the minute I'm not sure which pin is to be soldered to the positive and which to the negative, on the earbud pin. Can anyone help?

best way is to put a meter on the old cable
check each pin to the input jack using continuity

tip = left
ring = right
shaft = ground

ifn' you don't have a meter get one, $5 dollars from harbor freight
it will be your best tool to make a good cable

Jan 8, 2017 at 2:57 PM Post #6,172 of 10,535
best way is to put a meter on the old cable
check each pin to the input jack using continuity

tip = left
ring = right
shaft = ground

ifn' you don't have a meter get one, $5 dollars from harbor freight
it will be your best tool to make a good cable

Thanks! I did plan on that but thought I'd take the lazy route and ask on here. Plus I don't know where my multimeter is. The Mrs has a habit of moving things that are "left out" and she's obviously moved it as it isn't with my other electronic tools.
I'll need it anyway to make sure my new cable works as it should before connecting it.

Jan 9, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #6,173 of 10,535
Can't be hassled going Y so does anyone know where to get those kludgy-looking clamps in order to remain dual-entry from start to end please? http://www.head-fi.org/g/i/1791352/a/1127194/cardas-clear-headphone-cable-2m-audeze-terminals/

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #6,174 of 10,535
Anyone know of some 3.5mm mono that are long and slim enough for the Meze 99 Classic cups?

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #6,175 of 10,535
Thanks! I did plan on that but thought I'd take the lazy route and ask on here. Plus I don't know where my multimeter is. The Mrs has a habit of moving things that are "left out" and she's obviously moved it as it isn't with my other electronic tools.
I'll need it anyway to make sure my new cable works as it should before connecting it.

I've checked with a multimeter and can confirm, if you're looking at the flat side of the terminal with the pins pointing upwards then the left pin is ground and right live on both left and right wires.

Sorry for the image quality it was taken and edited on my phone.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #6,178 of 10,535
I am stuck here. Need some help. I am making micro-usb to micro-usb cables and need to make one side OTG(shorting 4 and 5 pin I guess) but I opened up three micro-usb cables to extract the plugs but they all are 4 pin only. There is a pin at the back instead. So I am little confused which is what...can anyone here who made a micro-USB OTG cable can guide me please?

Jan 11, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #6,179 of 10,535
I am stuck here. Need some help. I am making micro-usb to micro-usb cables and need to make one side OTG(shorting 4 and 5 pin I guess) but I opened up three micro-usb cables to extract the plugs but they all are 4 pin only. There is a pin at the back instead. So I am little confused which is what...can anyone here who made a micro-USB OTG cable can guide me please?

Does this help?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-USB-OTG-host-cable-The-easy-way/step2/Cutting-into-the-USB-micro-end-and-making-it-a-hos/

It looks like you're there, just need to remove that last little bit and expose the pins.

Jan 11, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #6,180 of 10,535
Does this help?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-a-USB-OTG-host-cable-The-easy-way/step2/Cutting-into-the-USB-micro-end-and-making-it-a-hos/

It looks like you're there, just need to remove that last little bit and expose the pins.

I actually need to verify the pins 4 and 5. In other articles they all have 5 pins in a line but mine has 4 and one at the back which confuses me. One at the back is most likely the ground but I am not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back