DIY Cable Questions and Comments Thread
Nov 3, 2016 at 1:41 AM Post #6,031 of 10,535
I posted this in the Home-made IEM forum, but I figured maybe the masters over here could help me too. I'm just starting my DIY journey and I'm planning to solder a/some BA's to an MMCX connection. How does this work? The MMCX female has these

3 little prong things, do the + and - wires just go on any 2 of them? This counts as a cable right? lol

Nov 3, 2016 at 3:39 AM Post #6,032 of 10,535
Hi again. Would someone be able to point me in the direction of some sort of guide(s) that can explain the ins and outs of how headphone cables/jacks work?

The subject has piqued my interest and want to learn. My basic knowledge is very limited on the subject.

I want to make a balanced cable for my HD650...

The balanced connection I'm keen to understand is dual TRS. Seperate plugs for left and right channels as I want it to work with my Sony PHA-3.

I'm interested to know if I need special wire for a balanced headphone cable? By googling it I noticed that balanced has hot and cold wires and a normal cable has just hot. So I'm assuming I might need specific balanced wire?

I've found some jacks on eBay, sleeving seems simple enough to find but have no idea where I find headphone cable wire. Is there a specific place to get it from?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Nov 3, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #6,033 of 10,535
My total is around 40 USD. 
I bought microphone cable with 4 wires inside it and stripped it to get the cables. Then sleeved them with paracord and braided together. It's a very common method around here and you get good wires for low money. The positive is that you can buy this cable in bulk from some sellers, which means cheap. You just put in how long you want it to be and they cut it for you. This cable has 4 wires inside it, and that is all you need. You use them as hot and cold.

You don't need to strip the wire, but I recommend it, because you get rid of a lot of weight to your end cable if you do it.

So I ordered my neutrik jack and cable from redco.com. It was the cheapest I found. 
These are the cables I talk about: http://www.redco.com/Mogami-Quad-Microphone-Cable/
Mine is the W2534, but the thinner W2893 is probably as good, but gets you a thinner cable. Also cheaper.

I have hifiman headphones so I ordered the connectors for the headphones from ebay really cheap. 

I followed a great site for balanced audio, but it is currently down unfortunately.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #6,034 of 10,535
Im just realising how crazy some of these prices are just for materials. I was on the phone to a guy who sells furutech stuff, he used to sell Viablue but doesn't anymore. Says that Viablue are not very good because it's made from brass and they don't sound good. Wouldn't my stock hd650 cable be brass too? I'm confused on what I should be considering for connectors now and not keen on spending more on cables than what my 650's cost me that's for sure.

Edit: I'm after something like these...

Yes, viablue is a rip-off. I don't sell stuff, but I had been making and experienced countless of stuff, Including Furutech. You have not got there yet. Until u get to quality connectors, wires, solders...etc. Real quality cables will cost easily $300-400 by DIY. It could easily be priced at $700-1000 by vendors.

I agreed that brass connectors don't sound good. Furutech does sound good.

Nov 3, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #6,035 of 10,535
I posted this in the Home-made IEM forum, but I figured maybe the masters over here could help me too. I'm just starting my DIY journey and I'm planning to solder a/some BA's to an MMCX connection. How does this work? The MMCX female has these

3 little prong things, do the + and - wires just go on any 2 of them? This counts as a cable right? lol

It can go to any of them, just as long as your cables plugs is soldered on accordingly.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:27 AM Post #6,036 of 10,535
Yes, viablue is a rip-off. I don't sell stuff, but I had been making and experienced countless of stuff, Including Furutech. You have not got there yet. Until u get to quality connectors, wires, solders...etc. Real quality cables will cost easily $300-400 by DIY. It could easily be priced at $700-1000 by vendors.

What would be a good quality and affordable 3.5mm TRS? Furutech is nice but not in my budget.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:31 AM Post #6,037 of 10,535
What would be a good quality and affordable 3.5mm TRS? Furutech is nice but not in my budget.

Eidolic is a very nice brand.

But for ultra-affordable and good quality, you can't go wrong with Neutrik.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:53 AM Post #6,038 of 10,535
Eidolic looks good. Cheers.

Nov 3, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #6,039 of 10,535
Neither of the above is made of good quality materials. The next best bet for you would be Ranko Acoustic. It has it own looks, but the materials, technology, and quality is top notch. In my own experiences, it rivals those of Furutech.

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #6,040 of 10,535

Why do you need 3.5mm TRS if you are making a balanced cable?

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #6,042 of 10,535
Neither of the above is made of good quality materials. The next best bet for you would be Ranko Acoustic. It has it own looks, but the materials, technology, and quality is top notch. In my own experiences, it rivals those of Furutech.

And they're cheap too! Good advice mate, I like the look of these... Now for some good affordable wires and I'm almost there :grin:

Nov 3, 2016 at 10:07 AM Post #6,043 of 10,535
Nov 3, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #6,044 of 10,535

Nov 3, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #6,045 of 10,535
I guess I'm totally confused. He posted a picture of an XLR balanced HD650 cable. I though that is what he wanted. Sorry.

As for brass, are almost all plugs plated (Nickel, Gold) brass? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back